Saban has retired.

Not sure why anyone would be worried about any coach going to Bama. They have averaged like a top 2 class every year for 10+ years, multiple titles, draft picks, heisman. You name it. There is no one duplicating that. At worst it stays the same but I don’t think it will. DeBoer is going to sign 4 top 30 guys instead of 6. It’s a net win
My only pushback would be kids are not going to Bama because it’s such a great school or Destination they’re doing it to be coached by Nick saban and go to the NFL and maybe win a championship. Deber can’t sell any of that to these recruits or parents. I think this goes south in my opinion until he can prove he’s a winner like saban… this will be interesting. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
My only pushback would be kids are not going to Bama because it’s such a great school or Destination they’re doing it to be coached by Nick saban and go to the NFL and maybe win a championship. Deber can’t sell any of that to these recruits or parents. I think this goes south in my opinion until he can prove he’s a winner like saban… this will be interesting. Any thoughts?
No that’s what I’m saying. There will be regression back to the mean no matter who they hire outside of maybe Urban. No one a going to do what Saban did. This is a win no matter what

That 104 has 67 FBS wins.

If Miami was hiring him you could consider it a home run hire. But Alabama is potentially hiring a guy who only has 4 seasons under his belt at the FBS level and two of those seasons were at Fresno where he went 12-6. So, as far as Alabama standards go, you have two seasons to pull from that show success. College football is FILLED with guys who had a couple good seasons.

When Nick Saban was hired it wasn't a question of "if" but "when" he would win a national championship, and then how many. Nobody is saying that if they hire DeBoer. That's my point. If they hired Urban (realistic or not) you would get a very similar buzz. "When" will he win a championship, not "if".
I agree with all this.

I do have to point out that Saban had already won the split title at LSU in 03. LSU was ranked #1 by the BCS and USC #1 by the AP title.

Also, there's no proof that DeBoer can recruit, much less at Saban's level. Plus they have NIL issues.

Hiring him could work in the short term.. but I'm not so sure they'll be typical Alabama in years 4 and 5.

Advertisement
He's proven that he's won 11 games in 7 of 9 years as a head coach. Guy is a proven winner at every level, and now he gets a chance to do it with Nick saban's players

Advertisement
Only way I see this failing is if the boosters get too involved and don't let him run the program his way. Guy has done nothing but win everywhere he has been. Now he will have the best budget and facilities of his career and be sitting in a talent rich recruiting hotbed. Sucks because I was hoping by some miracle Bama would botch this hire and disappear for a few years but they should just keep humming along with Deboer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
There are no winners like Saban. However, DeBoer has been a winner at every level. Stellar hire if true.

Pac 12 was the easiest conference to win games. It hasn’t translated for Mario. Let’s see if it translates for DeBoer. He’s a good coach but let’s see.
I was surprised by the horrible recruiting class with all the momentum.

Advertisement
Back