Saban has retired.

His wife ain't sick, He's retiring because Bama's not the #1 bag school anymore. These kids ain't taking Bama's under the table, pre-inflation, chump change bags anymore. Couple that with the emergence of Riley, Lanning, & now DeBoer on the West Coast, Bama's recruiting footprint has been reduced.
Don't forget Mario. Saban wanted Francis, Pancake, Wayne, and Bain.

Mario not only pushed back on Saban, but the rest of the SEC, and Clemson. I don't think Clemson has even tried to recruit anyone in Dade or Broward after Mario took Ray Ray from Dabo. Ohio State got J Smith, but they've been shut out as well on other guys.

As crazy as college football is right now, I think it's in it's in a good place because the talent is getting spread out. More teams actually have a legitimate chance to win a championship. Texas and Michigan don't beat Alabama and are not even competitive 3-4 years ago.

Advertisement
I’d bet he’s far down their list. But I know if he was to leave, he should be excommunicated from Miami forever! And IDGAF if he played here.
Ehn, I don't think it matters that much, I think he knows the perceived risks of everything. But to some people the allure of a certain brand can be worth risking everything. But it now looks like they found their guy is Deboer

Don't forget Mario. Saban wanted Francis, Pancake, Wayne, and Bain.

Mario not only pushed back on Saban, but the rest of the SEC, and Clemson. I don't think Clemson has even tried to recruit anyone in Dade or Broward after Mario took Ray Ray from Dabo. Ohio State got J Smith, but they've been shut out as well on other guys.

As crazy as college football is right now, I think it's in it's in a good place because the talent is getting spread out. More teams actually have a legitimate chance to win a championship. Texas and Michigan don't beat Alabama and are not even competitive 3-4 years ago.

I know it's a pipedream but I'd love it if both Harbaugh and Smart left for the NFL (and to a lesser extent, Riley). Having a big reshuffling of the deck and some uncertainty about the top teams would be great for CFB.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Can’t say that I expected this to happen.

They tried to get the Oregon coach, then the Texas coach, then FSU coach….all of em got signed to lucrative extensions to lock their guy up lol - so then Bama pivoted to the Washington coach - which he has been very successful.

You’d think they would’ve gone after Lane but imo KB is the unproven SEC version of Lane. Only knock on him is he hasn’t won in the SEC. And that his offense was stifled in the Natty vs Michigan.

They tried to get the Oregon coach, then the Texas coach, then FSU coach….all of em got signed to lucrative extensions to lock their guy up lol - so then Bama pivoted to the Washington coach - which he has been very successful.

You’d think they would’ve gone after Lane but imo KB is the unproven SEC version of Lane. Only knock on him is he hasn’t won in the SEC. And that his offense was stifled in the Natty vs Michigan.
I mean.. Michigan was the top D in the country and he still schemed up several open plays that would've gotten them into the game or got them the lead and some momentum but Penix just flat out missed them.

I think Lane ****ed off some big time brass during his time at Bama. They would never hire him back.

Advertisement
I know it's a pipedream but I'd love it if both Harbaugh and Smart left for the NFL (and to a lesser extent, Riley). Having a big reshuffling of the deck and some uncertainty about the top teams would be great for CFB.
In the past few years, we knew at least 3 of the 4 teams that would be in the CFP. The only team in this year's CFP that was penciled into the CFP was Alabama.

The 12 team playoff has a chance to be really good if they do it right. I DON'T have any confidence the powers that be will get it right.

The biggest issue with the new playoff system won't be the 13th team getting left out. The biggest issue will be the seeding of the teams. For the first time, the games are going to be played at home stadiums. This is a huge deal and will create such an advantage for the home team.

What I see happening is that the committee will stack the SEC and B1G at the top where even the 3rd and 4th place conference teams are not only in the playoffs, but hosting. This is going to be a huge deal. If this year's FSU was in the 12 team playoffs, they would have been seeded 6-8 and sent on the road to get destroyed by whomever hosted them.

What needs to happen, but college football won't do, is to mandate that conference champions are seeded 1-4 and host. College football needs to follow the NFL model where you host if you win your division. My 11-6 Philadelphia Eagles sadly losing 5 of their last 6 games will travel to Tampa to face a 9-7 Buccaneers team. Nobody complains or even bats an eye that the Eagles have a better record. College football needs to do the same thing to level out the stacking of conference teams in the 12 team playoff that is going to happen.

Advertisement
If he can get a staff of recruiters and keep his DB coach from Washington there won’t be much of a drop off.

Advertisement
Back