Saban has retired.

Advertisement
He did his thing, can’t deny that or take it from him.

But he also had advantages/resources most didn’t. Both are true. I always think of the graphic when they’re previewing matchups that goes something like:

5* Players Per Team:

Alabama 38
Everyone Else Combined 9

Most surprising thing is that they ever lost a game.

His wife ain't sick, He's retiring because Bama's not the #1 bag school anymore. These kids ain't taking Bama's under the table, pre-inflation, chump change bags anymore. Couple that with the emergence of Riley, Lanning, & now DeBoer on the West Coast, Bama's recruiting footprint has been reduced.
Not to mention Texas and OU joining the SEC next year.

His wife ain't sick, He's retiring because Bama's not the #1 bag school anymore. These kids ain't taking Bama's under the table, pre-inflation, chump change bags anymore. Couple that with the emergence of Riley, Lanning, & now DeBoer on the West Coast, Bama's recruiting footprint has been reduced.
Was just something I heard early this am. Certainly anything coming out will be them circling the wagon

I find these rumors stupid (no attack on you).

Guys been doing it for 30+years, pretty **** successful, but it's out how much of a toll it was on him and his wife.

The guy was done. I didn't expect it, but I remember seeing his face after the game against Michigan. He looked done. There's no need for spouting rumors as to why he did it or why he may have.
Nothing taken..🫡🫡

Advertisement
All these old farts leaving the game or getting pushed out excites me.

Last edited:
The timing is so interesting considering NIL, conference realignment, transfer portal. I also do not think it’s an coincidence he’s retiring around the same time that you see some major college basketball coaches retiring over the past few years (Coach K, Roy Williams, Jay Wright at Nova).

SIAP

Saban did EE dirty. Yesterday was first day of Spring Semester. Now if they enter Portal, my understanding, they would have to use one time transfer now? Or do they get a pass since he left??

It's not even just the titles, though. Fluky losses happen, and they can derail title bids, but even when Saban's Alabama teams didn't win the title, they were almost always title-worthy.

Bill Connelly
Here's a complete list of teams that finished either first or second in SP+ -- my opponent-adjusted power rating -- for at least five straight seasons:

• Penn, 1894 to 1898 (five years)
  • Michigan, 1901 to 1905 (five)
  • Georgia Tech, 1917 to 1921 (five)
  • USC, 1925 to 1929 (five)
  • Ole Miss, 1959 to 1963 (five)
  • Miami, 1986 to 1991 (six)
  • Yale, 1884 to 1895 (12)
  • Alabama, 2009 to 2021 (13)
Miami's five-year run of near perfection was good enough to inspire a 30 for 30. It was the only run of its kind between the mid-1960s and the mid-2000s. But in an era of 85-man scholarship limits, with tougher national title runs -- a guaranteed 1-versus-2 matchup starting in 1998, a four-team playoff starting in 2014 -- Saban's Crimson Tide more than doubled Miami's run and topped that of even late-1800s Yale, which had to compete with only a few dozen football-playing schools.

Advertisement
SIAP

Saban did EE dirty. Yesterday was first day of Spring Semester. Now if they enter Portal, my understanding, they would have to use one time transfer now? Or do they get a pass since he left??
As I understand, they get free transfer pass due to change of HC rule.

Could be wrong though...

Each era has a ruler and the next one is already here, parity is a pie in the sky and always will be.

Nick Saban is the greatest ruler of all time. Respect.
Michael Strahan Football GIF by FOX Sports: Watch. Enjoy. Repeat.

Advertisement
So do you think Lanning will retain some of the staff at Bama, like T-Rob for instance, or will he bring in an entirely new staff of his own?

Advertisement
Oregon staff > Bama staff
Yea, you gotta figure Tosh and some others will be coming with him if they’re interested. Also, hearing some early rumblings from the non-delusional Oregon fans who aren’t in denial that Lanning is gone, that Jedd Fisch might be an early candidate for the Ducks’ job.

Advertisement
Back