Saban has retired.

Legend, always liked Saban.
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
Advertisement
One of the greatest football minds ever

Hope his health is well and he stays around the game in some way

Great football mind. Hope he stays healthy. Wouldn't mind at all if his car dealerships go out of business.

Third best record in all college football the last 3 years. What exactly are you using as a major of success?

You want to say Alabama has slipped off a little bit fine, but miserable failure? Seriously.
For the standard that has been set for that program, yes.

His tenure with NFL roster management playing fields was an utter disaster.

Bama's unquestioned dominance over all of CF has eroded quickly and I don't think, among "the elite" going into next year, was there any fear of the Tide. While they put it together barely and with a ton of help, Bama legitimately could have lost 3 regular season games.

Saban at any age was not going to have the same success in Tuscy next 10 years as the last 10...and yes by their standards (once upon a time the same that was applied to our Canes) the fans would have been screaming "miserable failure corch".

As a side note, watch Bama announce Urban Meyer...🤣🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement
I would love to see some screen shots from the arrogant Oregon ducks fans.

Dabo is an Alabama alum so you never know.

Alabama has, historically, hired coaches with Alabama and/or SEC and/or Bear-Bryant connections, not just the "best available".

Alabama tends to believe that they have the environment where a less-than-perfect coach can reach his full potential.

Wallace Wade - former Vanderbilt assistant coach
Frank Thomas - former Georgia assistant coach, Chattanooga head coach
Harold Drew - former Alabama assistant coach, Ole Miss head coach
Jennings Whitworth - former Alabama player, Oklahoma A&M head coach
Bear Bryant - former Alabama player, aTm head coach
Ray Perkins - former Alabama player, NY Giants head coach
Bill Curry - former GaTech player, GaTech head coach (GaTech was once in the SEC) - DID NOT LAST LONG
Gene Stallings - former aTm player (Junction Boys, under Bear Bryant), aTm head coach, StL/Phoenix Cardinals head coach
Mike DuBose - former Alabama player, Alabama assistant coach
Dennis Franchione - TCU head coach - DID NOT LAST LONG
Mike Price - former Washington State player, Washington State head coach - FIRED BEFORE HE EVER COACHED A GAME
Mike Shula - former Alabama player, NFL assistant coach for Tampa Bay & Miami
Nick Saban - won a national championship as LSU head coach

Based on history and the fact that Alabama tends to do "less well" when it ventures too far outside of its comfort zone...

1. Dabo Swinney
2. Lane Kiffin
3. Dan Lanning (he WAS a grad assistant at Alabama for a year)
4. Slingblade Billy Napier
5. Mario Cristobal (though I don't think he would take the job)

Not sure ifbits been mention and its just rumor but someone just mentioned on a sports show that Saban retirement might have something to do with his wife being sick.
Caller also said darkhorse name that's gaining steam is Prime..😐😐

His wife ain't sick, He's retiring because Bama's not the #1 bag school anymore. These kids ain't taking Bama's under the table, pre-inflation, chump change bags anymore. Couple that with the emergence of Riley, Lanning, & now DeBoer on the West Coast, Bama's recruiting footprint has been reduced.

Advertisement
I think it will be Lanning like most are saying and I think Saban hand picked him.(or whoever they hire). He built it he likely wanted the pick. Prob encouraged Lanning to go to Oregon to see how he would fair as the head coach.

Maybe didn’t immediately think this would be the year but with NIL, recruiting kids 3-4 times each basically, and it’s prob been on his mind then with his personality he prob literally decided this in the last 48. Finished an interview with a potential assistant then just said…you know what…I’m done. This isn’t for me any more. I don’t have that same feeling I used to have.

If it really is Lanning.... Then I wonder who takes over for him? And then who's going to replace that guy? And then that guy?? My gawd thank you Saban!! I'm already excited for 2024 season!!
dominos GIF

Advertisement
I think it will be Lanning like most are saying and I think Saban hand picked him.(or whoever they hire). He built it he likely wanted the pick. Prob encouraged Lanning to go to Oregon to see how he would fair as the head coach.

Maybe didn’t immediately think this would be the year but with NIL, recruiting kids 3-4 times each basically, and it’s prob been on his mind then with his personality he prob literally decided this in the last 48. Finished an interview with a potential assistant then just said…you know what…I’m done. This isn’t for me any more. I don’t have that same feeling I used to have.
Oh yeah trust me. Saban definitely wasn't going to just leave Bama without picking his successor

Crazy to me that coaches get away with this ****. How do you look recruits in the eyes for months and even years selling them on there 3-4 years of college and the as soon as they sign an LOI all of a sudden his hearts not in it anymore and time to retire. Liar until the end….what a ****.
That was some shady **** Saban and his staff did. He didn't just decide to retire this week. His retirement has been known well before the season even started. He bought that house in Jupiter back in August.

If I was a 2024 signee at Alabama, I'd put my name in the portal and force the new staff to recruit me.

Last edited:
But can you win the ultimate prize? Oregon had probably their best team outside of Kelly’s & Helfrich’s runner up teams this season. The team they couldn’t beat got pushed around by a team in their new conference.

Maybe you can stack enough talent to get over that hump, but without a natural recruiting base it’s going to be harder than at a school in the southern part of the country.
Not really if your willing to overpay. If they'd pay 2-3 times value they would bring in a nice haul.

Advertisement
Back