S. Fla. Recruiting is way down this year but

Problem with that is Saban just took Jimmy and Butch defensive principles & adapted them in the same way Kirby did towards Satan's. At THIS point what they do is relatively vanilla. It's not that it's not sound. But nothing that makes you do a double take or catches you off gaurd. Personally I see a lot more advanced principles at Illinois than I do at uga or at bama for a minute now.
What did Saban take from Jimmy?

Maybe what they do schematically is vanilla, but the teachings within the scheme are what has separated them over the years.
Ex: Saban was the first coach I recall teaching the "scooch step" at Corner while everybody else was teaching their Corners to back-pedal.
Years later, and everybody is now teaching the scooch step.

Saban invented his version of Cover-3 (Rip/Liz Match) in 1994 when he was with the Browns and it's still being used by colleges all over the country today.

Advertisement
What did Saban take from Jimmy?

Maybe what they do schematically is vanilla, but the teachings within the scheme are what has separated them over the years.
Ex: Saban was the first coach I recall teaching the "scooch step" at Corner while everybody else was teaching their Corners to back-pedal.
Years later, and everybody is now teaching the scooch step.

Saban invented his version of Cover-3 (Rip/Liz Match) in 1994 when he was with the Browns and it's still being used by colleges all over the country today.
Part of this is realizing everything Butch was doing came from interpretations of what we did under Jimmy. When we brought back the 4-3(which Saban employed) he made his adjustments much like ours where he came up in the box & prioritized getting upfield out of 5 of the front 7. His backend then was essentially Tampa 2 (which didn't technically exist at the time) or some variation of cover 2. Also by the way the scootch step you're speaking on (ask @SWFLHurricane who used that routinely). Difference was with chuck it was situational while with Satan that is what he taught. I understand most of our coaching has gone under the radar throughout the years, but when someone speaks on innovation (certainly not now) throughout the years, they speak on Jimmy,they speak on Erickson & they speak on Butch. Two of the 3 changed college football and NFL football period with their coaching.

Part of this is realizing everything Butch was doing came from interpretations of what we did under Jimmy. When we brought back the 4-3(which Saban employed) he made his adjustments much like ours where he came up in the box & prioritized getting upfield out of 5 of the front 7. His backend then was essentially Tampa 2 (which didn't technically exist at the time) or some variation of cover 2. Also by the way the scootch step you're speaking on (ask @SWFLHurricane who used that routinely). Difference was with chuck it was situational while with Satan that is what he taught. I understand most of our coaching has gone under the radar throughout the years, but when someone speaks on innovation (certainly not now) throughout the years, they speak on Jimmy,they speak on Erickson & they speak on Butch. Two of the 3 changed college football and NFL football period with their coaching.
@Brooklyndee @Coach Macho ...Chuck used, and loved the scootch tech plenty. He used it in Man-Free....slot-corner slow using middle of the field help, and rolling under the corner route, which makes for really tough completions.

@Brooklyndee @Coach Macho ...Chuck used, and loved the scootch tech plenty. He used it in Man-Free....slot-corner slow using middle of the field help, and rolling under the corner route, which makes for really tough completions.
Ah. Good guess on my part.lol We just didn't get the credit for the things we were doing ahead of the curve till plenty of years down the line.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back