Ryan Williams

I think coach coley didnt want Ryan Williams because his entire offense was based around stephen morris's limitations. It was all power throws from the gun.

The real question will be, Can coach Coley develop a pro-styled offense to match Ryan Williams skill set or will he try to force a square peg into a round hole simply because he prefers round holes (spread offenses).

I think complicating the matter was Goldens loyalty to Morris. He was going with him no matter what. Agreed on your "real question", and sadly, I'm thinking the latter for the answer.

Advertisement
I know that a lot of people want to believe this, but I think it's very unlikely. In my mind, it's meaningful that the coaches treated Morris as though they had no viable alternative. No pressure to perform, never the threat of a benching, and talking him up like a superstar. That's how you treat a guy when you have nobody else and really need him to perform. You might also note the way they talk about Williams--every quote can essentially be paraphrased as "we're hopefuly because he's not as bad as he used to be." This offense minus Duke and Dorsett would not have been saved by Ryan Williams IMO.

I do think Williams can be serviceable if the talent around him develops well, but I don't think we have Ken Dorsey sitting on the roster yet forced Morris out there underperforming on a bum ankle every game.

I know that a lot of people want to believe this, but I think it's very unlikely. In my mind, it's meaningful that the coaches treated Morris as though they had no viable alternative. No pressure to perform, never the threat of a benching, and talking him up like a superstar. That's how you treat a guy when you have nobody else and really need him to perform. You might also note the way they talk about Williams--every quote can essentially be paraphrased as "we're hopefuly because he's not as bad as he used to be." This offense minus Duke and Dorsett would not have been saved by Ryan Williams IMO.

I do think Williams can be serviceable if the talent around him develops well, but I don't think we have Ken Dorsey sitting on the roster yet forced Morris out there underperforming on a bum ankle every game.

They treat a lot of guys on the team that way. Did he ever pull Jacory when he was struggling in a game?

Is he going to give everyone their ********s back? Or are we still going to get plunked like a bunch of biyatches

That 2nd and 6 play where he threw it out of bounds instead of picking up at least 5 with his feet is all you need to know about Stephen Morris.

That play blew my mind. I saw all that open field where he could've ran for the first and he threw it. I didn't even btch, it was typical. Smdh. I'm a cane through and through but I think we're better next year simply by subtraction.

Advertisement
Ryan Williams would have been dodging those blitzers like Michael Vick out there today.

Just admit you were wrong about Morris. I had high hopes for him myself but first it was rust for his slow start, then it was the bum ankle, and then it was he was all out of Snickers during the games. He has a ton of physical talent and no mental aptitude for the position.

As for "dodging the blitzers", he is allowed to audible to a different play or hit the hot route right?

Excuses are like poems; they're for sissies and nobody wants to hear them.

When I said he'd be our best quarterback since Dorsey and the highest NFL pick we've had at QB since Erickson? I stand by both statements.

The two most popular quarterbacks at Miami are the last one and the next one. That's how it was with Brock, that's how it was with Kyle, and that's how it was with Jacory.

He wasn't perfect and I hoped he would be better as a senior. But he's far from the problem and there is not one game we lost the past two years that we win with Ryan Williams.[/QUOTE]

I actually believe we don't know what we have in Williams. I would have liked to see him get some burn during the season other than Savannah State (it's not like Morris couldn't have used sometime on the sidelines to see what was happening on the field and rest his bum ankle that we've been told was his problem).

But there are other issues on this team (like a defense that routinely gives up 500 yards). While Williams may not have been a difference maker in those losses, you would be hard pressed to find a game over the last two year where Morris was a difference maker in a win. Morris did well against teams that were physically over-matched, however his limitations against teams with a pulse are apparent.

Advertisement
Back