Rusty Medearis

Yeah I read something wherein Medearis and that ***** lineman supposedly both said it was just part of the game. Don't believe for a second that Medearis said that though.
And yes Krein was good too. Pretty sure he was from Colorado or somewhere out west.
Darren Krein was from Aurora,CO. He was a second team USA Today A-A LB and was described somewhere as a "tackling machine." He emerged on the national scene at the end of his senior year when he was named to the USA Today team. We had to be ASU for him but we didn't tell him he was destined for DE. He thought he would be a LB at UM. He probably ended up better off with his hand on the ground. Give JJ and his staff credit for seeing that was his best position and fortunately the successor staff (Dennis Erickson's) was of the same opinion. He fought to get out of his LOI after JJ left but we held him to it. Now, he probably could have gotten out of it.

Advertisement
Medearis I think mentioned around the time of the ‘94 fiesta bowl (Arizona rematch) that he didn’t think it was a cheap shot. Personally I’ve seen the tv broadcast Of the ‘92 Arizona game (I was there at the game) and it’s hard to see a good angle of the block. It looked cheap but it’s hard to tell.

On another note, wasn’t that 8-7 Arizona game in 1992 a weird game. It was the weirdest game I ever went to and it was shocking how close the game was. Their kicker had a big leg and barely missed a 51 yarder as time expired. He had like a 20 degree wind behind him kicking into the closed end zone of the Orange Bowl. From our seats it looked like the kick was right down the middle. When the refs made the wide sign I couldn’t believe it. It was such a relief. That was the closest game in the 58 game home winning streak. At that point I’d never seen them lose at the OB.

Advertisement
Let me tell you a story about Rusty.

If I’m not mistaken JJ went to a HS game to see a stud OL tackle and WALA this stud was get destroyed by Rust a skinny DE that absolutely annihilated the OL stud.

After the game JJ went straight to Rusty and ask if he’s being recruited, Rusty said he has ZERO offers or any corespondents from any college.

JJ said young man I’m coach JJ of the University of Miami Hurricanes and I’m offering you a full scholarship, will you please play for me.

Rusty broke down in tears , this moment ignited a 🔥 of PASSION that fueled Rusty to be one of the greatest DE in the U history.

True story brothers.

GOCANES
Not

Rusty had offers from Miami and Notre dame amongst others.

I surmise Grant Wistrom who played at Nebraska and Rams patterned his game after Rusty... same home state/number..just bigger and faster

Darren Krein was from Aurora,CO. He was a second team USA Today A-A LB and was described somewhere as a "tackling machine." He emerged on the national scene at the end of his senior year when he was named to the USA Today team. We had to be ASU for him but we didn't tell him he was destined for DE. He thought he would be a LB at UM. He probably ended up better off with his hand on the ground. Give JJ and his staff credit for seeing that was his best position and fortunately the successor staff (Dennis Erickson's) was of the same opinion. He fought to get out of his LOI after JJ left but we held him to it. Now, he probably could have gotten out of it.
I remember Barrow getting hurt up there in south bend against nd in 1990. the redshirt fr Krein came in to replace him.. it was a tough deal as nd fielded top tier skill players.

Krein found his home at DE in 91

Advertisement
I’m skeptical. I have a recollection of Rusty being well known nationally and receiving official visits from some very good schools. Can’t prove it now, I’d have to find my old recruiting publications that I might have saved somewhere but too much work to find them.I think you might be wrong about no interest for Rusty out of HS. I knew his name during the recruiting period so it was likely he was on radar of the recruiting publications.

We did get some guys who were nowhere to be found on national recruiting service publications: Anthony Hamlet and Eric Miller in that video came out of nowhere. Greg Mark never appeared in a national pub. Neither did Leon Searcy. Kevin Williams, on the other hand, was first team USAToday A-A. He was one who recruited UM rather than the other way around.
Yeah, that story isn't true, I'll just say that. He might have been a better high school basketball player than football player. That kid was incredible at hoops.

Advertisement
He's from where I live. Ozark is just a suburb of Springfield. I used to work with him. Still walks with a limp, but works out like a mad man. Good dude.
I was in college when he was at UM and I believe I would be more star struck meeting Rusty than Eddie Vedder. Well, maybe the same.

To put it into context, I am not the star struck type. Always good to hear guys are good dudes. All that really matters.

When he got hurt I had something going on, didn’t see it and the Miami guys at school said, “you see your boy got hurt bad against Arizona?” Felt bad for the kid, he was the man, couple years older than me. Totally sucked.

Advertisement
Back