Russell Maryland’s kid....

Advertisement
Ah, yes. Haven't seen him out of costume in a long time!
That’s why he wore the costume! John is a Good guy. Certainly was entertaining and fit right in with the boys, hence the invite to to 89 celebration last year. Good weekend.

I'd take him. He's the son of a legend, his film is actually good unlike Ray Lewis Jr, and I want his QB Ewers for the 22 class

Huge growth this year. If he has a good offseason, he legitimately has a chance to be a top 10 type TE in the nation. He is still learning but the natural talent is really starting to show itself every week.

Here's 14 minutes of him being a stud in only about half a season.

Advertisement
Huge growth this year. If he has a good offseason, he legitimately has a chance to be a top 10 type TE in the nation. He is still learning but the natural talent is really starting to show itself every week.

Here's 14 minutes of him being a stud in only about half a season.

Have we checked in on the kid?

Advertisement
I went to school with Russell, we enrolled at the same time, and I could definitely point to many examples of his character and leadership. I was just talking about the way in which UM identified Russell as a recruit. Hubb Alexander went to Chicago to sign another player, DT Mel Agee (who decommitted at the last minute to sign with Illinois), and so we asked about other unsigned DL players in Chicago and found out about Russell. The scholarship opened up due to a flip, not an academic casualty (which, back then, you wouldn't find out about until August).

The only D-I school recruiting Russell was Indiana State (I'm a big Larry Bird fan, so I know about the Sycamores), and Russell had the grades to get into the Ivy League schools. Russell did very well at UM, academically and socially, and was tapped into Iron Arrow, the highest honor attainable at UM (the members of Iron Arrow wear their Seminole Indian jackets and go down onto the football field for the Homecoming pre-game festivities).
Bob Karmelowicz, then Illinois DL coach, paid for Mel Agee and another kid, Frank Hartley, that Coach Ax was sure we had wrapped up. Biggest irony was that Bob later became our DL coach under Erickson and coached one of our greatest DLs ever: Russ Maryland, Cortez Kennedy, Willis Peguese, Shane Curry, Jimmie Jones and Greg Mark. His assistant DL coach was I believe Ed Orgeron.

And yes, it was Indiana State.

Hint: He was nearly arrested in Tallahassee. He set the mini Sooner Schooner on fire in the end zone in the NC game, he was grazed he by a bullet on Bourbon Street. Yep, it is the incomparable John Routh.
Routh was also the original Miami Maniac. He was so good that for a time the Maniac was the official mascot of the Collefe World Series.

Routh was also the original Miami Maniac. He was so good that for a time the Maniac was the official mascot of the Collefe World Series.

Still is (at least pre-Covid), though I'm not sure if John puts the costume on any longer.

Routh was hired to be The Maniac. He's the one who redesigned the Sebastian costume, and then started playing Sebastian for football. Because a round-ball mascot works well for baseball and hoops, but not so much football.

.... could turn into a prospect this season. Just a junior this year.

6’3 210-ish Hback/TE/Jumbo WR type.

Southlake Carroll had their first scrimmage last night and Quinn Ewers chunked it to him quite a bit - looks like he is going to be a favorite target for Ewers, and Ewers is fixing to throw for 500 yards a game this year I have a feeling.

Probably a 4.8 kid but nice hands and feel for the game. A late bloomer, he played on defense a big chunk growing up but has found his niche catching the ball. I don't know if he will turn into a Miami type prospect, physically he probably doesn't quite have that burst or the ++ size to make him a high D1 guy at this point, but he's about to put up some big numbers this season and with his pedigree I'm sure his name would have come up eventually - so here he is.

#11 in the clips below

On a sidenote - check out this back foot bomb from a HS junior (Ewers). A *WOW* moment:

Can he play DT?

Advertisement
John Routh was a legendary Sebastian. Edgy & funny. Will likely never be topped. Combined with some of the greatest teams in CFB history, Canes football was fire!

Advertisement
Back