Rushing game

southla

Freshman
I’m sure a lot of Miami fans are excited about the rushing game. Looked at last year stats and you finished 71st overall. Was that due to inexperience in the backfield or due to offensive line performance??

Advertisement
I’m sure a lot of Miami fans are excited about the rushing game. Looked at last year stats and you finished 71st overall. Was that due to inexperience in the backfield or due to offensive line performance??
O line as it’s been for the last few years. Sounds like you watch the games....

The line will be much more physical. The guys who left were good technicians but not physical/strong.

Secondly this year we are absolutely stacked at RB. Last season when we lost Walton due to injury we thought we were screwed. Homer proved to be the truth so he saved us.

Advertisement

Look at the yardage per carry, it’s top 40 in the country and we passed far more often than we ran which is why Miami is not listed higher in yardage per game. We had bad rushing performances vs fsu(starting running back was playing injured), pitt and unc for that matter but performed pretty well against the majority of the teams on the schedule. Again for most games we were effective running the Ball but it wasn’t our main go to on offense like some other program so of course we wouldn’t rank in the top 40 in terms of rushing yardage per game.

if we aren't wearing down the Defense on the ground by the 4th, then something is seriously wrong with play calling.... you got homer and DJ running circles around the D, and then once the D's bodies are tired.. you bring in a fresh Choc with his size/strength/speed.... should absolutely KO defenses in the 4th.....

A lot of it had to do with the fact Mark Walton went down in our 4th game. He was averaging 7.6 yards per carry and well over 100 yards per game when he went down. His replacement, Travis Homer, had 30 career carries when he took over. Homer's backup was a true freshman WR. They have since figured things out. No worries there.

i think Oline wasn't great and our number one TB was banged up or out for over half the year. homer stepped up and played great but we were very lean at the position.

Advertisement
Offensive line play will be better across the board this year especially at the tackle spots. That, and more physically imposing guard play will make the OL much better than previous seasons. Will they be the best OL in college football? No, but their play along with our 3-headed monster at tailback will allow us to impose our will on teams this year. Last year we lost Walton and didn’t know if we had anyone to fill his shoes. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise when Homer did as well as he did for us rushing wise. He would’ve eclipsed 1,000yds rushing if he played in enough games last year. Add into the mix this year DJ Dallas who has mushroomed up to a playing weight of 220lbs, but in a good way. Add to that our 3rd string currently tailback Tyrone Gray and you get the 3-headed monster effect. That doesn’t include 5* Lingard and 4* Cam Davis, both who will be freshmen this season. Add it all up and you’ll get a Miami Hurricanes team that should finish the ACC at the top rushing stats wise. We would even probably finish 1st if not for the ancient wishbone offense that Georgia Tech runs.

I’m liking Miami’s chances to do well in the running game versus LSU. Will they destroy the Tigers on the ground? Probably not, but they’ll apply enough pressure to LSU’s defense to where you won’t be able to fixate on the passing attack with extra DB’s.

if we aren't wearing down the Defense on the ground by the 4th, then something is seriously wrong with play calling.... you got homer and DJ running circles around the D, and then once the D's bodies are tired.. you bring in a fresh Choc with his size/strength/speed.... should absolutely KO defenses in the 4th.....
While I think you will wear down defenses you will not run LSU’s defense down. Take for instance when LSU played Bama last year who has one of the best rushing offenses in college football. LSU held their own and only gave up 116 yards with a 3.2 yard average on 36 attempts. LSU’s front seven has more depth than last year so players will continually be subbed out. I think if Miami has any success it will be on a long running play rather than 4-5 yard average per run.

[/QUOTE= “I’m liking Miami’s chances to do well in the running game versus LSU. Will they destroy the Tigers on the ground? Probably not, but they’ll apply enough pressure to LSU’s defense to where you won’t be able to fixate on the passing attack with extra DB’s.[/QUOTE]

I think Miami is in trouble offensively if they are only averaging 3 yards a carry. If they average 5/ carry that LSU will be in trouble.

Look at the yardage per carry, it’s top 40 in the country and we passed far more often than we ran which is why Miami is not listed higher in yardage per game. We had bad rushing performances vs fsu(starting running back was playing injured), pitt and unc for that matter but performed pretty well against the majority of the teams on the schedule. Again for most games we were effective running the Ball but it wasn’t our main go to on offense like some other program so of course we wouldn’t rank in the top 40 in terms of rushing yardage per game.

A lot of big runs masked our inconsistency running the ball all year. I think all of us can agree that the running game wasn't where it needs to be to take the next step. We were looking for QB designed runs several times a game to get things going at times. No formidable rushing attack struggles in short yardage situations as badly we did last year. Great to hear confidence from the line this camp, because that wasn't there last fall.

Advertisement
We used our run game to put teams away last year, not as the primary focus of our offense. Homer and Rosier's ability to put a dagger in our opponents in the 4th quarter is what made us so successful in close games. I'm more concerned with efficiency of the run game, specifically in 3rd and short yardage situations and in the red zone

Couple of thoughts re: our running game last year and this year:

1. From all reports our O-Line seems like it will gel better this year and overall be stronger as another poster mentioned
2. healthy stable of running backs with game experience will make a huge difference
3. Our numbers last year are abnormal due a variety of factors including injury to our No. 1 running back, inconsistent OL play, and not putting games away early which would allow us to just run over teams in the 3rd and/or 4th quarter.

Overall our team's offense should improve this year. The factors above could either be the cause or effect of that depending on how you look at it. Secondly, if our offense is more consistent, then that will make our defense better and will allow for us to put teams away early and get reps to our 2nd and 3rd string guys at the end of games, which will therefore lead to more running game statistics.

Advertisement
Consistent QB play is often overlooked when it comes to establishing a running game.

If you're QB doesn't hurt you for stacking the box consistently, then teams have no reason not to put 8 in the box to stop the running game. (excuse the double/triple negative).

Still terrible until proven different... You guys (LSU) better prepare for everything under the sun!

I’m just saying year 3 with our o line coach I want to see marginal improvement from the past two years .. which is realistic .. but I also wanted to give him time because he came in with absolutely no talent ... but if we regress it will be a long season and I’d consider looking for a new o line coach if he can’t get it done .. but all positive so far from the reports so I’m ready

We were third in ACC in yards per attempt (behind Louisville w/ Lamar Jackson and Georgia Tech).

I expect a better version of the same type of running game. Explosive runs, big chunks of yards, not consistent pounding. Short-yardage is an area we need to improve, and I think Dallas can really help us there along with Choc.

Advertisement
Back