Rushing game

IMO Lamar Jackson was so overrated. I think his success was due to schemes under Petrino. When we played them, he looked mediocre at best. I think Rosier in that system would put up better numbers. Jackson will be a bust in the NFL. Same as RG3

Advertisement
IMO Lamar Jackson was so overrated. I think his success was due to schemes under Petrino. When we played them, he looked mediocre at best. I think Rosier in that system would put up better numbers. Jackson will be a bust in the NFL. Same as RG3
Who is we?

I’m sure a lot of Miami fans are excited about the rushing game. Looked at last year stats and you finished 71st overall. Was that due to inexperience in the backfield or due to offensive line performance??

Two things: Our O-line was atrocious in short yardage situations. Not enough power to get two or three yards on the ground, so we had to get creative in the run game. That meant either big chunk runs or not passing the LOS. It didn't help that we had no real power back either.

Our qb sucked and other teams knew it. You could really see it at the end of the year when teams would really stack the box against us and force Malik to throw. Its tough to gain yards, no matter who your RB is, when your O-line is weak in the power game and facing heavily stacked fronts.

Our O-line is a bit stronger now (see Jahair Jones, Tyler Gauthier, Navaughn Donaldson at RT) and we have home-run hitters (Homer and Dallas and Lingard) power guys (Gray and Burns) and a fullback (George and Gray) in the backfield.

If Rosier can just be accurate for even just the first quarter, I expect the run game to have a lot of success.

LSU played them in a bowl game. In that game they only had 67 yards rushing, 153 passing with most in garbage time. 220 total yards. Final was 29-9 and to believe he won the Heisman that year tells everyone its only a popularity contest and never goes to the best player in college football.

We were third in ACC in yards per attempt (behind Louisville w/ Lamar Jackson and Georgia Tech).

I expect a better version of the same type of running game. Explosive runs, big chunks of yards, not consistent pounding. Short-yardage is an area we need to improve, and I think Dallas can really help us there along with Choc.

Been a while, but that's what I recall from the days when we were winning 'ships and racking up wins.

We never did grind out a ground game.

Advertisement
While I think you will wear down defenses you will not run LSU’s defense down. Take for instance when LSU played Bama last year who has one of the best rushing offenses in college football. LSU held their own and only gave up 116 yards with a 3.2 yard average on 36 attempts. LSU’s front seven has more depth than last year so players will continually be subbed out. I think if Miami has any success it will be on a long running play rather than 4-5 yard average per run.
We have much better WRs than Bagma. Try and focus on stopping our run and JT, AR82 and everyone will run right by you guys

We have much better WRs than Bagma. Try and focus on stopping our run and JT, AR82 and everyone will run right by you guys

That’s the thing. We don’t have to load the box to stop the run. Our db’s did well last year in man to man. That frees up the safeties more to help in the run game. If we go zone, our beef up front will clog up gaps. I don’t disagree that you have better WR’s, but Bama’s oline is much better than Miami’s as well.

Advertisement
This Cajun might actually know his football cause the only path to victory for LSU is the DL. LSU must shut down the run and pressure #12 or our athletes will kill them all game. They must own our OL.

Advertisement
A lot of big runs masked our inconsistency running the ball all year. I think all of us can agree that the running game wasn't where it needs to be to take the next step. We were looking for QB designed runs several times a game to get things going at times. No formidable rushing attack struggles in short yardage situations as badly we did last year. Great to hear confidence from the line this camp, because that wasn't there last fall.
Oline has to get credit for opening those lanes for big runs. Just because they happened don’t mean it isn’t a significant play by the oline

Advertisement
Oline has to get credit for opening those lanes for big runs. Just because they happened don’t mean it isn’t a significant play by the oline

I'll give them credit for that. But I won't give them credit for being a championship caliber run blocking line last year. No Way.

Our number 1 back was hurt and went down, we had an inconsistent oline with no depth, and our 2nd string most of the year was a converted wr trying to figure out rb. I think we should see improvement with our run game if the oline is what the coaches are saying it is.

Lmao JT will run right past your overrated DBs
If you are going to make comments like that at least have a little substance. Our defense gave up less passing yards and less yards on the ground than Miami did last year, but we are overrated??? Come on man

Advertisement
Back