Run game is more important than QB

The CIS trolls are heavy this offseason.

This guy isn’t a troll. He’s just a moron on his twentieth screen name who can’t do anything except argue about coaches. He’s completely obsessed with it and has lost touch with reality. He’s not smart at all and just instinctively starts threads where he can bait people into coach arguments and then recite his pre-planned talking points.

He thinks the 2018 season already happened and that what Richt has done so far compares to Golden and Shannon. Total clown.

Advertisement
The main reason the offense is stagnant....no up tempo....no motion....no shifts to unbalance line...gotta use different looks to offset the D....at times the offense becomes too predictable....also, the OL and QBs are what they are...gotta find a way to utlize their strengths....there are several teams with far less talent putting up better stats than Miami...no excuses to go 3 and out multiple times against a defense like Pitt...coach gotta find a way....

There I said it.

Look Im not happy with the real possibility of starting a sub 50% completion QB this season in year three of a regime.

But you can live with a guy like Rosier, and frankly be highly successful if your run game is elite.

I dont mean the Running backs. We have had NFL player after NFL player for years there. I mean the totality of the run game.

Malik Rosier would win 11 games at Bama. Jalen Hurts would lose multiple game at Miami.

The Canes had more passing yards last season than Georgia, Clemson, Wisconsin, Auburn, and Bama.

We also trailed every single team that ended ranked ahead of us in rushing yards per game. Every. Single. Team.

The lack of improvement in 3 years of our OL and run scheme should **** everyone off way way more than how Kosi or Rosier looked.

Amen, brother. I'm old school, meaning just plain old. I want to see that power running game chew up defenses.

I look forward to an I-back formation with Realus George leading for one of UM's RBs. Yes, that is is obsolete, old, traditional and everything that is considered boring. But for me, keep it simple with the young QBs who are the Cane future. Run with power and the passing game will be solved. Which leads to another question. Should Donaldson be at RT or RG. If the power running game is the strategy, I'd keep him at RG. Wear those opposing b-tards down.

Sorry, but in today's day and age it's all about quarterback play. Eventually you are going to play another good or elite team, and those teams typically make running the ball very difficult. If you don't have solid QB play, there are only certain types of games you are going to win on a consistent basis.

Richt needs to work on his playcalling too...but that's another topic for another thread.

Advertisement
What? The only one of those coaches who didn't experience a couple years of transition when taking over for a coach is Urban.

Carroll's first 2 years at USC
- 6-6
- 11-2 (won the orange bowl; we lost in the orange bowl)

Jimbo's first 2 years at FSU
- 10-4
- 9-4

Saban's first 2 years at LSU
- 8-4
- 10-3 (third year he went 8-5)

Saban's first 2 years at Bama
- 7-6
- 12-2

Richt's first 2 years at Miami
- 9-4
- 10-3

Sh*t needs to be fixed, but you gotta relax with being overly emotional and throwing random sh*t against the wall

Meyer inherited the #5, #6, #18, and # 5 ranked recruiting classes when he got there.
Richt inherited the #22, #27, #12, and #14 ranked recruiting classes.
Night and day.

Other coaches-
Dabo:
-9-5
-6-6

Chris Petersesn:
-8-6
-7-6

Briles:
-4-8
-4-8

Mullet Gundy:
-4-7
-7-6

Shaw is the best example @
-11-2
-11-2
...but he took over a 12-1 team with Andrew Luck at QB

Sorry, but in today's day and age it's all about quarterback play. Eventually you are going to play another good or elite team, and those teams typically make running the ball very difficult. If you don't have solid QB play, there are only certain types of games you are going to win on a consistent basis.

Richt needs to work on his playcalling too...but that's another topic for another thread.

I appreciate your take. At the college level, the QB is part of that running game. The QB does matter. No NFL team is a contender without a quality QB. But at the college level, a mid-level QB can mask his deficiencies by including himself in the running game. I think of Young at Texas who won a NC but was a bust in the NFL. Pryor isn't even positioned at QB in the NFL, but led OSU to a NC. I still believe in establishing the running game, including the mobile QB, at the college level.

During last year's remarkable season the offensive line created almost no push/movement, thus no ground game.

The theory that a passing game will create a significant, dependable running game is at the very best...a stretch! Especially, when playing on off-tracks or extremely cold weather games.

One has to have an eidetic memory to recall the last time the Canes had a muscular, athletic, angry offensive line that produced a running game that frightened opposing defensive coordinators.

Should the Canes field an offensive line that can move defensive lines, thus allowing for a running game then overnight Rosier will become a much, much better QB.

Further, it doesn't appear, at least so far, that the other QB's vying to become the starter next year have looked, by any stretch of the imagination, to be world beaters. I would suggest this could very well be another by-product of poor offensive line play.

If this year's offensive line is not significantly better than last year's version then it will be a long and frustrating season.

During last year's remarkable season the offensive line created almost no push/movement, thus no ground game.

The theory that a passing game will create a significant, dependable running game is at the very best...a stretch! Especially, when playing on off-tracks or extremely cold weather games.

One has to have an eidetic memory to recall the last time the Canes had a muscular, athletic, angry offensive line that produced a running game that frightened opposing defensive coordinators.

Should the Canes field an offensive line that can move defensive lines, thus allowing for a running game then overnight Rosier will become a much, much better QB.

Further, it doesn't appear, at least so far, that the other QB's vying to become the starter next year have looked, by any stretch of the imagination, to be world beaters. I would suggest this could very well be another by-product of poor offensive line play.

If this year's offensive line is not significantly better than last year's version then it will be a long and frustrating season.

Yes, it all boils down to the OL. It has to be strong, athletic, and nasty. That is where the games and a NC will be won. Many will never be NFL players, but their bodies and nastiness will make the skill players stars.

Advertisement
What would you suggest we do to fix that? If it's all really just bad OL play then how do we get better?

That's rhetorical right?

You start with recruiting. We've been ok, but where are the elite OTs?

Then, because our recruiting is actually pretty decent, coaching. If Searles can't get more out of these guys, if he can't at least get us in the top 100 in 3rd down percentage, then he's not the guy. If we can't line up and get 2 yds on 3rd and 1, he's not the guy.

I read that OL-men are academically the best on a football team. Many end up successful in business, science, and law. The key is to recruit nasty OL-men who can grasp the intricacies of blocking schemes. These are special young men. Bad ***, but intelligent enough to know their assignments. Many will not make the NFL, perhaps because they have other career goals. These are the Canes who will move the team into prominence.

I appreciate your take. At the college level, the QB is part of that running game. The QB does matter. No NFL team is a contender without a quality QB. But at the college level, a mid-level QB can mask his deficiencies by including himself in the running game. I think of Young at Texas who won a NC but was a bust in the NFL. Pryor isn't even positioned at QB in the NFL, but led OSU to a NC. I still believe in establishing the running game, including the mobile QB, at the college level.

I simply disagree with your entire premise. There isn't a more important position in college football than the quarterback position. The one exception to that rule in recent memory has been Alabama but their an anomaly...they are basically us before probation struck with talent stacked at every position.

Advertisement
I simply disagree with your entire premise. There isn't a more important position in college football than the quarterback position. The one exception to that rule in recent memory has been Alabama but their an anomaly...they are basically us before probation struck with talent stacked at every position.

Josh Rosen is ten times the QB than any of the playoff QBs this year, with the exception of Mayfield, who he is still better than.

UCLA sucked *** and would get wiped off the map by any of those teams.

QB is the most importabt position in the NFL, but is nothing compared to the importance of the lines in college ball. Not even close.

To not go 11-2 is a step back and the coaches should be held responsible. Get it done or gtfoh

How did you manage to turn a thread about the run game into the above post? Is it because you have no interest in discussing football and just want to argue about cosches?

Rosier is good enough for 10 wins. But can he improve enough to get us in the 12-13 win range where we want to be? QB is the most important spot. Bama has needed a QB that can simply get the ball to it's playmakers consistently for their titles even with their dominant run game.

Advertisement
The QB sucked, the OL sucked, yet we won 10 games.
CMR installed the most important Cog in our Machine,, the will to win.
Without it we are looking back on a 5-6 2017 campaign..

I would definitely like to see a more aggressive and creative running game as well as a significantly enhanced overall play calling package...on both sides of the ball!

Wouldn't it be nice if it turns out that the only reason our offense struggled was because our D is so fuggin badass?

We have had tons of elite and NFL OL over the years.

Its year THREE bro. If the OL is still garbage thats on the staff.

It's been only two years of recruiting, the OL has been a problem at Miami since Jeff Stoutland left. Going to take more than two recruiting classes to fix.

It's been only two years of recruiting, the OL has been a problem at Miami since Jeff Stoutland left. Going to take more than two recruiting classes to fix.

Its been three recruiting classes. There are JUCO players and transfers. You shouldnt need five seniors to field a run game that is better than what we have displayed.

Keep kicking the can down the road, its gotten us real far the last 15 years.

Advertisement
Back