Run game is more important than QB

boxtonenyc

Recruit
There I said it.

Look Im not happy with the real possibility of starting a sub 50% completion QB this season in year three of a regime.

But you can live with a guy like Rosier, and frankly be highly successful if your run game is elite.

I dont mean the Running backs. We have had NFL player after NFL player for years there. I mean the totality of the run game.

Malik Rosier would win 11 games at Bama. Jalen Hurts would lose multiple game at Miami.

The Canes had more passing yards last season than Georgia, Clemson, Wisconsin, Auburn, and Bama.

We also trailed every single team that ended ranked ahead of us in rushing yards per game. Every. Single. Team.

The lack of improvement in 3 years of our OL and run scheme should **** everyone off way way more than how Kosi or Rosier looked.

Advertisement
The two coincide with one another.

If Defenses don't respect the pass, they load up the box with 8/9 man fronts & unless you got an OL full of NFL'ers you can't run the ball against those looks.

The pass game opens up the run game & vice versa. Having an accurate QB (whoever it is) punishes Defense by beating them overtop, forcing them to commit Safety's in Deep coverage, thus opening up run lanes. Which is is why uptempo Offenses can be so potent keeping Defenses off balance.

If Defenses don't respect the pass, they load up the box with 8/9 man fronts & unless you got an OL full of NFL'ers you can't run the ball against those looks.

The pass game opens up the run game & vice versa.

You need to respect the deep pass, yes. But the reason Bama runs over everyone isnt bc teams are afraid of their passing game. They pass for almost 100 ypg less than we did.

Bama runs over people bc they can, at will. Same with UGA, and Auburn, and on and on.

The pass game opens up the run game & vice versa. Having an accurate QB (whoever it is) punishes Defense by beating them overtop, forcing them to commit Safety's in Deep coverage, thus opening up run lanes. Which is is why uptempo Offenses can be so potent keeping Defenses off balance.
Already shot this down concerning the tailbacks managing just 16 yards in the loss to Pitt. Pitt played in 2 high safety coverage all game long. Not one time did they put 8 guys in the box. They blitzed lbs sparingly and sent a corner once or twice. I counted only one play where they sent more than 5.

The Pitt front four completely shut down our run game and got multiple hits/hurries/sacks on Rosier, and when they did send an extra blitzer it just looked unfair. They dropped 6-7 guys into coverage all game and made the QB work for everything.

On one play in particular, when the wheels really started to fall off for Rosier in the 2nd half, Pitt sent 5 guys and 2 got through untouched. Left Navaughn standing there wondering what just happened. A guy beat him on both sides and he didn’t get a hand on either one.

You need to respect the deep pass, yes. But the reason Bama runs over everyone isnt bc teams are afraid of their passing game. They pass for almost 100 ypg less than we did.

Bama runs over people bc they can, at will. Same with UGA, and Auburn, and on and on.
They can run the ball at a high level because they have OL's full of NFL players. We haven't had that until recently, we have some players with NFL future like Donaldson & a couple TF/Sophs who have great upside & potential.

Advertisement
Already shot this down concerning the tailbacks managing just 16 yards in the loss to Pitt. Pitt played in 2 high safety coverage all game long. Not one time did they put 8 guys in the box. They blitzed lbs sparingly and sent a corner once or twice. I counted only one play where they sent more than 5.

The Pitt front four completely shut down our run game and got multiple hits/hurries/sacks on Rosier, and when they did send an extra blitzer it just looked unfair. They dropped 6-7 guys into coverage all game and made the QB work for everything.

On one play in particular, when the wheels really started to fall off for Rosier in the 2nd half, Pitt sent 5 guys and 2 got through untouched. Left Navaughn standing there wondering what just happened. A guy beat him on both sides and he didn’t get a hand on either one.
What would you suggest we do to fix that? If it's all really just bad OL play then how do we get better?

You also have to take into account the fact that Bama puts teams away by the middle of the third quarter usually followed by running out the clock. Meanwhile, aside from two games last year, we had to have a more balanced offense for all four quarters to win games.

They can run the ball at a high level because they have OL's full of NFL players. We haven't had that until recently, we have some players with NFL future like Donaldson & a couple TF/Sophs who have great upside & potential.

We have had tons of elite and NFL OL over the years.

Its year THREE bro. If the OL is still garbage thats on the staff.

You also have to take into account the fact that Bama puts teams away by the middle of the third quarter usually followed by running out the clock. Meanwhile, aside from two games last year, we had to have a more balanced offense for all four quarters to win games.

Every single team that ranked ahead of us, including the teams that ruined our season, run the ball more effectively.

Its not just Bama.

If we cant run the ball better, it doesnt matter who the QB is.

Advertisement
Every single team that ranked ahead of us, including the teams that ruined our season, run the ball more effectively.

Its not just Bama.

If we cant run the ball better, it doesnt matter who the QB is.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Just asking you to consider other factors that go into things and not just yell from atop a soapbox.

Wisconsin played a soft schedule and their entire team is built around running the ball. Bama smoked opponents early. So did Georgia. Auburn runs out of the spread formation, so they rarely face 8/9 man boxes.

In Richt's O we need to be able to pass, period. We aren't bringing in so many elite WRs to be a pound the rock type of team. In OUR O, we need a QB that can complete what is commonly known as the forward pass. Do that and our run game will be fine. Don't do that and we will struggle. It's really that simple. We aren't Bama, and won't have their O-line for a while. Once we do we will have that ability. Until then, we need our QB to be accurate.

What would you suggest we do to fix that? If it's all really just bad OL play then how do we get better?
Oh I’m not on the Fire Searels wagon. I think 10 games in a row without a week off took its toll. We looked sluggish and unfocused.

O-line is one of the positions that almost always requires a season or two to build strength and technique, so I don’t think it’s fair to judge Searels until after 2018. He hired on with us about 5 minutes before NSD 2016 so he didn’t even get a say in the type of athletes he needed until the 2017 class and didn’t get a chance to really get out there and build relationships until this class that just signed.

Nobody wants to hear this, but the answer is patience. Let Searels get some of his guys a year or 2 in the system before we run him out of town.

Advertisement
Oh I’m not on the Fire Searels wagon. I think 10 games in a row without a week off took its toll. We looked sluggish and unfocused.

O-line is one of the positions that almost always requires a season or two to build strength and technique, so I don’t think it’s fair to judge Searels until after 2018. He hired on with us about 5 minutes before NSD 2016 so he didn’t even get a say in the type of athletes he needed until the 2017 class and didn’t get a chance to really get out there and build relationships until this class that just signed.

Nobody wants to hear this, but the answer is patience. Let Searels get some of his guys a year or 2 in the system before we run him out of town.
I never said anything about firing Searels, I actually like him as a recruiter. I was genuinely asking you what you might suggest because even though I disagree with you on the QB situation I still respect that you at least have an intelligent well thought out argument.

Actually a post I'm agreeing on here with ya

I never said anything about firing Searels, I actually like him as a recruiter. I was genuinely asking you what you might suggest because even though I disagree with you on the QB situation I still respect that you at least have an intelligent well thought out argument.
Sorry if it came of that way, but I wasn’t referring to you with the fire Searels comment. There are those who are after his head. @Canezum5 started a fire Searels thread after his 6th game here. I appreciate your other comments on the matter.

Advertisement

Dude its year 3. If the staff hasnt turned it around after 3 years they never will.

It doesnt take this long to win in college football. Stop kicking the can down the road.

Nobody said we have to be a ground and pound phone booth offense.

Auburn isnt. Oregon under kelly wasnt. Urban Meyers teams arent.

But they still run the ball extremely well and take pressure off of the QB, while controlling the game and resting their defense.

Running the ball: it has only worked for 100 years.

ANOTHER coach referendum thread from OP. This one is especially funny because OP thinks the 2018 season has already happened. Do you a tic, OP?

Advertisement
Back