Run game is more important than QB

Its been three recruiting classes. There are JUCO players and transfers. You shouldnt need five seniors to field a run game that is better than what we have displayed.

Keep kicking the can down the road, its gotten us real far the last 15 years.
2 recruiting classes. Richt hired on in December 2015 and Searels in January 2016. National Signing Day for the 2016 class was held February 2016. Trying to pin 2016 on Richt and Searels as if they had any choice but to try to hold the current class together might be the dumbest thing you’ve said yet, but then again, I’m not an expert in stupidity. Might need to confer with @Canezum5 on this one.

@kryptonite us speaking truth. We got some decent recruits, but our best guy last season was a 4* Freshman who didn’t enroll until Summer. By the end of the season his endurance started to tell on him and his technique got sloppy. But that’s not really being fair to Navaughn. Coach Searels said it best himself. An offensive line is 5 guys working together. Not one guy and not 4. If you have one player who isn’t able to perform up to par, teams are going to exploit that and your line is going to look like garbage.

Advertisement
Its been three recruiting classes. There are JUCO players and transfers. You shouldnt need five seniors to field a run game that is better than what we have displayed.

Keep kicking the can down the road, its gotten us real far the last 15 years.

Lol there are juco players and transfers?? What are u talking about? It takes more than 2 recruiting classes to fix a problem thats been an issue for 8 years. Has nothing to do with kicking the can down the road...do u think Coach Richt is sitting on his *** waiting until he decides to do something about the oline?

Juco players and transfers dont fix anything we need back to back recruiting classes of elite Offensive tackles. The main issue is south Florida doesn't produce elite OTs to recruit on a consistent basis. I don't hear Coach Richt using that as an excuse though but thats the reality of the situation.

There's multiple factors contributing to the lack of success in the running game. Yes, the lack of respect to the passing game is a big part. Even if a defense isn't bringing safeties into the box, do you know how much easier it is as a DB when you know the offense is only comfortable running three or four different routes? It makes keying on the running back a lot easier when you don't have to worry about a receiver getting behind you. If I'm a Defensive coordinator, I'm asking my safeties to key on the run and underneath stuff and I'm taking my chances with Rosier throwing it downfield against man coverage every time.

Now, I'm not letting the O-line or Searles off the hook either. In two years the offensive line has been below average in run blocking and pass protection. I understand that linemen often take the longest to develop and you rarely see dominant freshman or sophomore offensive linemen. However, going into year three, they've got to show some kind of improvement. These younger guys have been in the system for a couple of years and need to at least be marginally better. There's no excuse for the goal line and short yardage struggles against a majority of the teams we've faced.

Now, let's look at it realistically. Outside of 2000-2002, Miami has NEVER been known for dominant offensive line play. Part of what made Howard so special was his switch in offensive philosophy away from an option/power running style that most college teams favored at the time to a quarterback-centric, pro style passing offense. It only makes sense. Florida is hardly known for producing power blocking linemen. If you watch high school football in south Florida, you won't see teams lining up in an I formation and running the ball. The talent here is at the skill positions. You see a ton of spread with QBs making quick reads and short throws against defenses that are spread out trying to defend a multitude of receivers. Bringing in all these south Florida kids and putting them in a power running offense is shooting yourself in the foot.

It's incredibly tough in today's college football to assemble a totally dominant offensive line that can just bully other teams. Even Alabama had to make a switch to a more dynamic passing QB in the championship game because they couldn't just line up against Georgia and run it at them. So even a team with nothing but 5 star, NFL ready linemen needed to rely on their quarterback to make plays in their biggest game of the year.

Nobody said we have to be a ground and pound phone booth offense.

Auburn isnt. Oregon under kelly wasnt. Urban Meyers teams arent.

But they still run the ball extremely well and take pressure off of the QB, while controlling the game and resting their defense.

Running the ball: it has only worked for 100 years.

I agree to a large extent .....

BUT those teams especially Oregon and Meyers teams used their short passing game almost as if it were a run.

Bottom line, those three teams have consistently had and recruited for something that we are just starting to get again...and that's a good effective OL. With a good OL any team is more effective whatever scheme they use.

The OL is the key, without a good one you won't be very good at running or passing...regardless of who your QB is

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back