Run Defense

sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
I'm happy the way the CB's have been covering, and our TFL's and sacks are great. But if we want to be dominant we can't be giving up 200+ yards rushing every game.

Where do you think the breakdowns are happening and what do you think we can do to get this fixed for the 2 most important games of the season coming up vs VT and ND?

Advertisement
We gave up a ton of rushing yards to broken plays on QB scrambles once Dungey felt the pressure from our DL. Many times we didn't wrap up, dude was running for his life.

From Diaz scheme it seems as if the a lot of the times the LB's are running into pre assigned gap fits due to the nature of heavy blitzing/stunts. We are also having a lot of trouble tackling on impact, far too many broken tackles that would be for minimal gain but have instead been for 6+ yards.

Another thing is the DL are running far too upfield on some plays taking themselves out of the play. If the opposing team catches us on a stunt upfront its a lost battle almost immediately. In recent memory Miami has always had trouble with QB's who can scramble, but that's the nature of Diaz scheme. We attack and are bound to give up big gains.

the offense not executing and putting teams in higher pass situations when they should be down by more

Advertisement
We run DL stunts a lot which causes gaps to be open. Plus in a defense like this if you’re over pursuing and missing tackles, you’re going to get gashed.

Poor run fits and bad tackling, which wasn't a problem last year

Missing from the 2017 team: Corn, Jenkins, Carter, and McCloud the phenom

Find it hard to believe our run defense went from top 30 to 86th because of Carter and Jenkins leaving. It has to be deeper than that

It’s not the whole issue but losing 3 very good run defenders from the secondary can cause problems. Most of time when a runner got past our front 7, the secondary was there to clean it up. They’re not doing that as well this year and tackling has been down throughout the whole defense.

Poor run fits and bad tackling, which wasn't a problem last year

Missing from the 2017 team: Corn, Jenkins, Carter, and McCloud the phenom

Find it hard to believe our run defense went from top 30 to 86th because of Carter and Jenkins leaving. It has to be deeper than that

The number 1 reason is tackling. last year when we got to a ball carrier 90% of the time they were on the ground without any extra yardage. it was actually quite amazing. This year, in those same situations, we're only getting the ball carrier to the ground about 40% of the time. it all adds up in the end.

I've said this before, but seeing our safety play now really made me appreciate just how good Carter and Jenkins really were.

Advertisement
As I’ve said before our safety JJ is playing in another county and we are playing with 10 not 11 players. If you watch last week it’s painfully clear he can’t make tackles anywhere close to the line of scrimmage. VT and ND will beat that scheme big time. Aggressive safeties like Taylor and Blades never played like that. If it’s the personnel then we need a MAJOR UPGRADE at the safety position.

As I’ve said before our safety JJ is playing in another county and we are playing with 10 not 11 players. If you watch last week it’s painfully clear he can’t make tackles anywhere close to the line of scrimmage. VT and ND will beat that scheme big time. Aggressive safeties like Taylor and Blades never played like that. If it’s the personnel then we need a MAJOR UPGRADE at the safety position.

I've heard of single-issue voters, but never a single-issue poster.

I have posted on many issues over the past 30 years. This one is glaring and the reason why our run defense is **** poor.

I did keep an eye on this when I rewatched because I saw your 50 posts on the same topic.

Every time JJ was deep, we were playing single high safety. He was right in the position Diaz wanted him.

Furthermore, he is as sure a tackler as we have on the team. He is the last line of defense, and does a great job with it.

You are way off on this one.

Advertisement
Can't have our cake and eat it too. The aggressive scheme that we run up front is a recipe for getting gashed from time to time.. a perfectly executed stunt at the wrong time could create a clear passage to the end zone.. but that same aggression we see up front is also the cause of the frequent appearances of the turn over chain.. me personally I would like to see us run our base until it is not working.. Would have shut FSU down but probally got picked a part by Toledo and Cuse

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We run DL stunts a lot which causes gaps to be open. Plus in a defense like this if you’re over pursuing and missing tackles, you’re going to get gashed.
This, and losing multiple starters in the secondary as previously noted (Corn in particular).

Advertisement
Our LB play, at times, has been poor.

We all had high expectations for this group. I think if they start playing better (i.e. taking better angles and not over running plays and missing tackles) you'll see our run D improve dramatically.

I think we have the personnel...so of all the problems to have this one appears like it could be corrected. The next 3 weeks are going to be very telling.

Can't have our cake and eat it too. The aggressive scheme that we run up front is a recipe for getting gashed from time to time.. a perfectly executed stunt at the wrong time could create a clear passage to the end zone.. but that same aggression we see up front is also the cause of the frequent appearances of the turn over chain.. me personally I would like to see us run our base until it is not working.. Would have shut FSU down but probally got picked a part by Toledo and Cuse

I recall being very frustrated at times during our Apex Teams - we were good on defense, but we got gashed with regularity even with those top defenses.

To try to defend everywhere, is to be weak everywhere.

You pick your poison to best match your opponent - 'cause even with perfect execution - you're going to get burned.

agreed entirely. plus playing man to man with aggression will result in the gashing. i believe reducing the rush yards is a good goal, but those rush yards have not yet translated into high scoring on the other side.

we are doing well, notwithstanding our many mistakes.

JJ f()ck your girl or something? Dudes doing what he’s asked to do and is doing a **** good job of it. By now, please realize that we’ve received, and rejected, your point. Either let it go or take it somewhere else.

Advertisement
Back