Run Defense

Take away what the opponent wants to do, live with them making some plays in another way along the way. We held GT way under their rushing average/target, and we basically strangled a high octane passing game in Syracuse. There is going to be some byproduct. Dungey should be armless and PTSD at this point. How he kept going I will never understand. Our D got what it wanted, for the most part. If the offense doesn’t drop a few balls and converts another third down or two, the score would have gotten lopsided quick.

Advertisement
Can't have our cake and eat it too. The aggressive scheme that we run up front is a recipe for getting gashed from time to time.. a perfectly executed stunt at the wrong time could create a clear passage to the end zone.. but that same aggression we see up front is also the cause of the frequent appearances of the turn over chain.. me personally I would like to see us run our base until it is not working.. Would have shut FSU down but probally got picked a part by Toledo and Cuse

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's more than the turnover chain. The entire philosophy Diaz executes is about creating 2nd and 12-14. Now, we can still tackle better. We can still take some better angles. We can still get some better Safety play to clean stuff up. Diaz can still dial it back at times. But, we have a bunch of fixable issues and are 6-0 with room for improvement. I have bigger concerns for this year's team.

As I’ve said before our safety JJ is playing in another county and we are playing with 10 not 11 players. If you watch last week it’s painfully clear he can’t make tackles anywhere close to the line of scrimmage. VT and ND will beat that scheme big time. Aggressive safeties like Taylor and Blades never played like that. If it’s the personnel then we need a MAJOR UPGRADE at the safety position.

JJ f()ck your girl or something? Dudes doing what he’s asked to do and is doing a **** good job of it. By now, please realize that we’ve received, and rejected, your point. Either let it go or take it somewhere else.

Yeah for what its worth, he leads the defense in total tackles. And is second in solo's.

Need to improve our tackling tremendously. But we might not be good enough to shut down the pass and the run against good offenses like Syracuse. Maybe we're choosing what we think they do best and trying to stop that.

I've seen Redwine and JJ take so many awful angles to the ball carrier. Redwine in particular.

I'm agreeing that it's mostly safety play and OC's in the ACC having a year under their belt seeing Manny's scheme.

Advertisement
The difference I see this year compared to last.

- Way to many stunts. Like the blitzing we need to cut that down some.
- LB play has dipped in term of run defense. Poor run fits and not setting the edge/outside especially on read option/zone (everyone chases the RB and as if the QB ain't watching them to pull it.) The same can be said for the D-lineman.
- LB are missing so much tackles.
- DL not making as much plays vs the run compared to last year. This could be tied into running to much stunts and twist on running plays.
- Jenkins, Elder, Carter, and Colbert were good at run support and sure tacklers.

Last edited:
Go back and watch the FSU game. Akers didn't pick up all that yardage by running AROUND the defense.

WRAP UP.

The first defender to make contact needs to get into the ball carrier's LEGS, WRAP UP, and get him on the ground.

Run defense problem solved.

It's really a combination of things. The aggressive, up-field style of defense Diaz runs coupled with tons of man coverage leaves lots of room for QB scrambles. This was an issue on even the best Miami defenses. Tackling has been subpar this year, especially in the defensive backfield. A lot of those 5-6 yard gains turn into 20+ yard gains simply because the runner slips a tackle. We had one of the nation's best backfields against the run last season and there's been some dropoff this year. Jenkins and Carter were two of the three leading tacklers and Elder was one of the best corners against the run UM has ever had.

That said, they still held GT to way below their average rushing yardage and a majority of Syracuse's yards were on broken play scrambles, so it's not like teams are lining up and running it down our throats. Run defense against FSU was probably the worst it's been all year.

Some valid reasons given for the bad run defense. I give some of the blame to the offense not converting on 3rd downs. Gives the.other team.a lot more time of possession each game than they should have.

Advertisement
I think Miami also got gashed like this at times during the Erickson years, too when we were running a fairly aggressive defense.

And we had some really good players then - Sapp, Riley, Lang, Holmes, etc. And those are only some of the guys who played during this era on the DL....

Can't have our cake and eat it too. The aggressive scheme that we run up front is a recipe for getting gashed from time to time.. a perfectly executed stunt at the wrong time could create a clear passage to the end zone.. but that same aggression we see up front is also the cause of the frequent appearances of the turn over chain.. me personally I would like to see us run our base until it is not working.. Would have shut FSU down but probally got picked a part by Toledo and Cuse

As I’ve said before our safety JJ is playing in another county and we are playing with 10 not 11 players. If you watch last week it’s painfully clear he can’t make tackles anywhere close to the line of scrimmage. VT and ND will beat that scheme big time. Aggressive safeties like Taylor and Blades never played like that. If it’s the personnel then we need a MAJOR UPGRADE at the safety position.

JJ f()ck your girl or something? Dudes doing what he’s asked to do and is doing a **** good job of it. By now, please realize that we’ve received, and rejected, your point. Either let it go or take it somewhere else.

prefer the latter,he should go somewhere that his bs is welcome, it'sgetting old and tiring

Last edited:
I'm happy the way the CB's have been covering, and our TFL's and sacks are great. But if we want to be dominant we can't be giving up 200+ yards rushing every game.

Where do you think the breakdowns are happening and what do you think we can do to get this fixed for the 2 most important games of the season coming up vs VT and ND?

Defense has been focusing on certain things each week. Assuaging players are adding each to their skills, they are going to be fantastic by end of season. Unlike the Golden years, now they are learning things that work and not just some idea in Al's head that never changes.(or works)

It's really a combination of things. The aggressive, up-field style of defense Diaz runs coupled with tons of man coverage leaves lots of room for QB scrambles. This was an issue on even the best Miami defenses. Tackling has been subpar this year, especially in the defensive backfield. A lot of those 5-6 yard gains turn into 20+ yard gains simply because the runner slips a tackle. We had one of the nation's best backfields against the run last season and there's been some dropoff this year. Jenkins and Carter were two of the three leading tacklers and Elder was one of the best corners against the run UM has ever had.

That said, they still held GT to way below their average rushing yardage and a majority of Syracuse's yards were on broken play scrambles, so it's not like teams are lining up and running it down our throats. Run defense against FSU was probably the worst it's been all year.
And Even against FSU 90% of their yardage can be framed to about 5 plays and the missed tackles that came along with them

Advertisement
Very aggressive line play plus:

Poor angles
Not wrapping up

I am loving the speed and agility of our guys though. Big and fast should be plus V VT and Irish.

Specifically against Syracuse I think it was more schematic than anything. We played a lot of nickel and coaches explicitly stated we were playing the pass most of the game

Advertisement
I think yall are blowing this Run Defense way out of proportion.

Vs Syracuse our defense won as many Run plays as Syracuse won. We allowed 9 Run plays over 10yards (this accounted for 206 of their 264 yards or 78% ). Our Defense held them to 31 Runs of 5 or less yards, 25 of which were for 3 or less, and 9 of which were for no gain or lost yards. Plus we completely took away their Passing game. And one of the ways we did that was getting so much pressure. That pressure was a result of DL stunts and blitzes, which make it incredibly easier on the offense to get big run plays. But still we did very good on 80% of all run plays as we held them to 58 yards on 41 of their rushing attempts. Also some of those 10 plays that they got 206 yards on were the qb scrambles.

And vs GTech sure we gave up 220 yards rushing, but their season average vs the other 4 P5 teams has been 450.25 yards/game. So we literally held them to under half the yardage they've been averaging in the rest of their P5 games. How is that not great run defense?

Honestly I'm ok with the run defense right now. Obviously the defense is not elite and it starts with our ability to tackle. But looking at it we have played a lot of teams that prefer to throw the ball and we have shut them down basically entirely minus Knowles.
Then when we played GT and Duke who prefer to ground and pound we adjusted

Advertisement
Back