Run Defense

Honestly, better tackling cures a lot of this. Turns a 6 yard gain into a 30 yard gain. It's not just LBers or safeties. I've seen our DL miss TFL that result in 4 yards gains which then result in first downs. It adds up. At the same time, I saw our defense hold GT to under 300 yards rushing and Syracuse under 200 yards passing. Our offense can give them more margin for error if they can find ways to score TDs. It really will make a huge difference on both sides if we can just learn to punch the ball in.

Advertisement
Exactly..

I think Diaz was willing to give up some yards on the ground but we completely shut down their Aerial Attack. The week before we held GT to 226 on 53 carries for a 4.25 ypc, and they average 5.8 ypc.. With Duke they were averaging 40.5 points a game, and we held them to 6 points.
At the end of the day, though we may get slashed for some yardage here and there, we take away the strength of our opponents.
It's not the Defense we should be concerned about as much as the Offense if there was more consistency on Offense these games wouldn't be close.

Can't have our cake and eat it too. The aggressive scheme that we run up front is a recipe for getting gashed from time to time.. a perfectly executed stunt at the wrong time could create a clear passage to the end zone.. but that same aggression we see up front is also the cause of the frequent appearances of the turn over chain.. me personally I would like to see us run our base until it is not working.. Would have shut FSU down but probally got picked a part by Toledo and Cuse

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I recall being very frustrated at times during our Apex Teams - we were good on defense, but we got gashed with regularity even with those top defenses.

To try to defend everywhere, is to be weak everywhere.

You pick your poison to best match your opponent - 'cause even with perfect execution - you're going to get burned.

If we ever learn to wrap up we might see those broken big play runs cut in half

Nothing prbly pulls Diaz’s hair more than watching us half *** a tackle and the guy bounce away for a 10 yard scamper

Our LB play, at times, has been poor.

We all had high expectations for this group. I think if they start playing better (i.e. taking better angles and not over running plays and missing tackles) you'll see our run D improve dramatically.

I think we have the personnel...so of all the problems to have this one appears like it could be corrected. The next 3 weeks are going to be very telling.

This right here is the issue. On 3 and very long near their end zone, 'Cuse ran a QB draw. Guess who could not make a solo tackle which led to the first down? hint (ZM).

Advertisement
As I’ve said before our safety JJ is playing in another county and we are playing with 10 not 11 players. If you watch last week it’s painfully clear he can’t make tackles anywhere close to the line of scrimmage. VT and ND will beat that scheme big time. Aggressive safeties like Taylor and Blades never played like that. If it’s the personnel then we need a MAJOR UPGRADE at the safety position.

When we played the top passing attack in the country we played a deep safety.

I somehow doubt that we will employ the same defensive scheme against run heavy Notre Dame. But hey, do you.

This year's defense really makes me appreciate last years all-NFL secondary. Rayshawn was hurt so much his career, but he finished strong. Carter was a hard hitter but made the Broncos as a tackling machine. Those two just made play after play in the run game or on short passes.

As I’ve said before our safety JJ is playing in another county and we are playing with 10 not 11 players. If you watch last week it’s painfully clear he can’t make tackles anywhere close to the line of scrimmage. VT and ND will beat that scheme big time. Aggressive safeties like Taylor and Blades never played like that. If it’s the personnel then we need a MAJOR UPGRADE at the safety position.

When we played the top passing attack in the country we played a deep safety.

I somehow doubt that we will employ the same defensive scheme against run heavy Notre Dame. But hey, do you.

UNC is spread but vt is not. ND otoh, is very much rpo with a dynamic qb

Advertisement
Miami is #3 in TFL, #3 in sacks, and #5 in turnover margin. And that's with one less game than most teams. I know it's frustrating to see teams run for 150 yards, but those big gains are USUALLY followed by a TFL, that forces teams into passing situations, which let's the D line feast. I think you get a better run defense if you slow the defense down and stop the overpenetration, but then we might lose something in the process. Haven't seen a true power run team yet- GTs cut blocking run game doesn't count - so hard to say how the D will fare. FSU was entirely dependent on the run game against us, with a couple talented backs, and I think we handled them well.

I think yall are blowing this Run Defense way out of proportion.

Vs Syracuse our defense won as many Run plays as Syracuse won. We allowed 9 Run plays over 10yards (this accounted for 206 of their 264 yards or 78% ). Our Defense held them to 31 Runs of 5 or less yards, 25 of which were for 3 or less, and 9 of which were for no gain or lost yards. Plus we completely took away their Passing game. And one of the ways we did that was getting so much pressure. That pressure was a result of DL stunts and blitzes, which make it incredibly easier on the offense to get big run plays. But still we did very good on 80% of all run plays as we held them to 58 yards on 41 of their rushing attempts. Also some of those 10 plays that they got 206 yards on were the qb scrambles.

And vs GTech sure we gave up 220 yards rushing, but their season average vs the other 4 P5 teams has been 450.25 yards/game. So we literally held them to under half the yardage they've been averaging in the rest of their P5 games. How is that not great run defense?

Good stuff right there.

On an unrelated note: is taking poor angles something that can be fixed?

In theory, everything can be fixed. But angles, especially in the spur of the moment, seems to be an instinctual thing, to me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad gap responsibilities and not wrapping up. That's what I see. Most of these big runs our guys are either choosing the wrong gap to go through (not sure if play is designed for that gap or if they are choosing it on their own), or they simply aren't wrapping up which I think is the bigger problem. Also, on some occasions you see guys running full speed for the big hit and when the player cuts back we overrun the guy which leads to a missed tackle. Fundamentals are what is getting us right now against the run.

Advertisement
I still think Diaz chose to take away the strength of the offenses he's played, when he could, risking gash plays in the process. He'll probably play more base the next three games and concentrate on the run, forcing VT and ND especially, to beat them through the air.

I still think Diaz chose to take away the strength of the offenses he's played, when he could, risking gash plays in the process. He'll probably play more base the next three games and concentrate on the run, forcing VT and ND especially, to beat them through the air.

One would think. If we stop the run and continue to play the same way in the secondary then we are going to be one **** of a tough out regardless of how the offense looks

Advertisement
Back