Run defense

wacane

Sophomore
Can someone explain what they think is wrong? I don't understand it. We have a deep defensive line full of talented players. Our starting linebackers are good. What's the problem? Scheme? Freelancing?

Advertisement
They showed the LBs over perusing which creates cutback lanes during the broadcast.

And just good hard running by their backs breaking tackles and finding open space.

There will be plenty of teaching moments in the film room this week for sure.

Last edited:
Overpursuing by the LB's, Redwine losing the edge on on e of the long runs, and McCloud trying to lay a lick instead of wrapping on Akers long run at the end of the game. All discipline stuff.

The ends seemed like they were told to control both gaps an awful lot in lieu of setting the edge on cut backs and letting LB fill the inside gaps. They all played counters opposite of our offset LB like clockwork.
Our front 4 is not creating solid pressure as we all expect them to be talent-wise. Perhaps someone that's good w/ X & O can chime in

Missed tackles, overpursueing, wrong gaps, etc.

It's going to happen in an aggressive defense. We still have to play contain and some players are not doing it and getting caught out of position. Joe Jackson and McCloud missed the tackle on the Akers big run. Jackson had his ankle(so he really didn't miss it) and McCloud knocked him loose. Jackson lost contain on a few of Patrick's big runs and I saw Redwine lose containment and went inside. It's simple things like that that need to get cleaned up especially against this triple option bs

Advertisement
It comes down to be discipline in what the coaches are teaching you in practice and comes Game these guys are looking for the big hit and not rapping up..

Overpursuing by the LB's, Redwine losing the edge on on e of the long runs, and McCloud trying to lay a lick instead of wrapping on Akers long run at the end of the game. All discipline stuff.

Yep long Akers run all in McCloud. Dives into the pile with a shoulder instead of using his arms to wrap up. It was an easy tackle. He did that on several other occasions. Someone please tell me the dude is hurt because that was horrendous.

Not stout enough! We're more twitchy and pass rush able. Maybe we'll improve over the next couple of years due to recruiting, but Kool's Missouri lines were the same. Great at pass rushing and shooting gaps, but not stout. Guess you have to compromise something lol

I don't get it. It's the same players! How could they look so much better against the run last year?

Advertisement
Missed tackles, overpursueing, wrong gaps, etc.

It's going to happen in an aggressive defense. We still have to play contain and some players are not doing it and getting caught out of position. Joe Jackson and McCloud missed the tackle on the Akers big run. Jackson had his ankle(so he really didn't miss it) and McCloud knocked him loose. Jackson lost contain on a few of Patrick's big runs and I saw Redwine lose containment and went inside. It's simple things like that that need to get cleaned up especially against this triple option bs

Good thing Akers isn't cook< he would have been gone on a few of those

Can someone explain what they think is wrong? I don't understand it. We have a deep defensive line full of talented players. Our starting linebackers are good. What's the problem? Scheme? Freelancing?

[video=youtube;du6BIDuQhkw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du6BIDuQhkw[/video]

Advertisement
On about 80 of FSU’s rushing yards, one long run by Patrick Joe Jackson was held badly by the TE, it allowed Patrick to cut back with no one there. Another long run by Akers had Shaq in the hole, but got held by a OL at the 2nd level, allowing Akers to run by him. Shaq’s Jersey is hanging at the shoulder when Akers runs by clear as day.

Attachments

• 6C07379C-C672-49EC-B630-7D12CB523687.jpg
    6C07379C-C672-49EC-B630-7D12CB523687.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 9D5BF697-56EC-4FED-9A00-14AFA6A55089.jpg
    9D5BF697-56EC-4FED-9A00-14AFA6A55089.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 6DEA2FA7-DF21-4EF9-8C94-73694932938B.jpg
    6DEA2FA7-DF21-4EF9-8C94-73694932938B.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
On about 80 of FSU’s rushing yards, one long run by Patrick Joe Jackson was held badly by the TE, it allowed Patrick to cut back with no one there. Another long run by Akers had Shaq in the hole, but got held by a OL at the 2nd level, allowing Akers to run by him. Shaq’s Jersey is hanging at the shoulder when Akers runs by clear as day.

View attachment 51393

View attachment 51394View attachment 51394
Yep.

Look, our young guys were way overhyped and ******* up, but that was some horse**** officiating. Huge holds right in front of everyone.

Not a good combo.

Advertisement
I don't get it. It's the same players! How could they look so much better against the run last year?

Manny has said that our Safeties last year covered up alot of mistakes. I think we're seeing what he was talking about. Alot of those missed tackles J.Carter & R.Jenkins make with their eyes closed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back