Run defense

My brother is a huge FSU fan and text me during the game, why aren't ya'll stacking the box?!

Advertisement
My brother is a huge FSU fan and text me during the game, why aren't ya'll stacking the box?!
It's easy to just say that.

We have one of the top front 7s in the country and a very suspect secondary.

The answer is obvious but it was important not to let Blackman get rolling as well.

Front 7 needs to earn their stripes in a game like this.

I think the LBs kept it simple and didn't overthink things last year. They played as hard as they could and tackled as opposed to looking for the highlight hit. We also miss the simplicity of dudes just doing their job.

Yes, several plays were "freelancing"; like the TD to Tate where Knowles got caught watching the QB and spying the receiver in the flat (when two other dudes had the flat covered), instead of picking up Tate from Delaney; or Joe Jackson losing contain on the QB and missing a sack while playing the RB or TE in the flat (two other dudes had the flats covered). In both those situations Joe and Robert needed to trust teammates would handle the flats and focus on their primary responsibilities.

Hopefully guys can watch the film and realize how much better they could be if they kept things simple and did what they were supposed to do. That said, I also hope Manny plays some other guys who will listen and simply do what they're told.

Last edited:
They showed the LBs over perusing which creates cutback lanes during the broadcast.

And just good hard running by their backs breaking tackles and finding open space.

There will be plenty of teaching moments in the film room this week for sure.

Talking with Shaq after the game ... because I was thinking the exact same thing... What he told me was they did a good job of setting them up ... example Is that they would start the play by pulling right, but then the ball goes left setting them up with cut blocks when they redirected to go back to the ball... I will have to watch for myself when I watch the game on TV

Advertisement
Our NFL secondary (RJ and JC especially as safeties) is gone from last year. No safety support this year in the run game compared to last -- we're lacking a physical presence at S.

TFL's still occurring. But our LB's need to show.

Pass defense was horrible too in the 4th quarter.

A good example of the cutting... Look at the Cam Akers run where he lowers the shoulder on Redwine... How that play starts is Pull right to get the defense moving in that directions... knowing the play is designed to go left... but starting right give the line time to cut block when the play switches direction... look and you will see that Mike Smith honors the pull and when he realize the play is going the other directions he is cut and unable to get to the ball.

The biggest issue I had seen through the game was pretty simple, over aggressive linebackers as well as whoever was setting the edge, DE,LB, or blitzing edge player, were not coming in control.

The noted issues typically are what you get from defence trying to hard to make a big play.

Personally, I think it’s a pretty easy fix. If the LBers be slightly more patient and the edge player plays his 50/50 technique under control the issues will be fixed.

Now... the above is good against a zone running scheme, which is what FSU was, and it is not what GT is, so teaching points have to adjusted to the above.

Everyone this board knows, you have to stay disciplined with the triple option. Typcailly the inside three (Mike and NT and DT) got assigned the dive player, the ends get the pitch player (QB) and the edge player or spill player (blitzing edge player or LB) get the pitchman (wingbacks). Do the above and get the DBs to have strong hands and you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't get it. It's the same players! How could they look so much better against the run last year?

Manny has said that our Safeties last year covered up alot of mistakes. I think we're seeing what he was talking about. Alot of those missed tackles J.Carter & R.Jenkins make with their eyes closed.

This is exactly what i was going to say. You need good Safeties to clean up some of the DL/LB misses to avoid huge gains. Carter and Jenkins were very good tacklers and were a much more intimidating presence than JJ and Redwine. Those two just don't strike fear into any offensive players coming across the middle.

Hoping that Amari and D Smith bring back the secondary enforcer aspect to our D.

I don't get it. It's the same players! How could they look so much better against the run last year?

Manny has said that our Safeties last year covered up alot of mistakes. I think we're seeing what he was talking about. Alot of those missed tackles J.Carter & R.Jenkins make with their eyes closed.

This is exactly what i was going to say. You need good Safeties to clean up some of the DL/LB misses to avoid huge gains. Carter and Jenkins were very good tacklers and were a much more intimidating presence than JJ and Redwine. Those two just don't strike fear into any offensive players coming across the middle.

Hoping that Amari and D Smith bring back the secondary enforcer aspect to our D.

I don't get all the Jaquan hate on these boards. From what I can see, he is playing solid football. I rarely, if ever, see him out of position or taking bad angles. And that is saying something considering the rest of our secondary looks like they don't know what the **** their assignments are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest issue I had seen through the game was pretty simple, over aggressive linebackers as well as whoever was setting the edge, DE,LB, or blitzing edge player, were not coming in control.

The noted issues typically are what you get from defence trying to hard to make a big play.

Personally, I think it’s a pretty easy fix. If the LBers be slightly more patient and the edge player plays his 50/50 technique under control the issues will be fixed.

Now... the above is good against a zone running scheme, which is what FSU was, and it is not what GT is, so teaching points have to adjusted to the above.

Everyone this board knows, you have to stay disciplined with the triple option. Typcailly the inside three (Mike and NT and DT) got assigned the dive player, the ends get the pitch player (QB) and the edge player or spill player (blitzing edge player or LB) get the pitchman (wingbacks). Do the above and get the DBs to have strong hands and you’ll be fine.
I agree with this... we didn't set the edge at all and they kept bouncing to the outside all game..

Advertisement
Getting out of position.. and not wrapping up in tackling
Will hurt more vs GT... better fix that ****

I understand the urgency after a fight vs our rival, but idk if got mini gt has the horses as of the likes of a top program. VT, Clemson, fsu.

Run defense definitely needs addressing this week. We have gotten gashed by Toledo and FSU so far. GT is a great running team and they are hot right now. This will not be easy unless we become less blitz happy and more disciplined this week. VT and ND are also good running teams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back