Rumph

Category 6

Recruit
A strong case can be made that Rumph is the worst recruiting Miami assistant of the modern era (2000 on). The guy has decimated Miami’s CB depth from a numbers and talent perspective.

He’s horribly whiffed on local talent in arguably the deepest pool of cornerbacks in the country year after year after year where even an average recruiter (Banda) would land reasonable numbers. Half of the players he’s landed (arguably the best ones) were guys that would have come to Miami no matter what (Bandy & Blades). LSU dropped Williams at the last second and Ivey was a scrub after everyone else feasted on south Florida’s CB talent. Kids literally run away from the guy.

I know some will argue he’s a decent technique teacher, and regardless if you’re right or not he’s so unbelievably bad as a recruiter it really doesn’t matter. He can’t land the talent level needed with his coaching to put a Miami level cornerback core out on the field.

How in the world is this guy about to be retained for a 5th season? How?! Miami’s CB room has been decimated as Golden’s cornerbacks have graduated out. Who cares if he’s Miami alum. He doesn’t even coach safety’s for gods sakes.

You need not look any further than Rumph being retained to know Manny Diaz isn’t the guy. You can’t look fans/recruits/players in the eye and say you want to win ACC championships let alone a national championship and retain guys like this.... it simply doesn’t add up. You cannot compete on that level with the dearth in talent that Rumph puts you in (same thing Kehoe did). We used to have Antrel Rolle at CB. Now we have total scrubs. That’s not what a Miami cornerback core looks like!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
He's been so bad, I'm shocked at how nice the fanbase is to him. If he weren't a former 'Cane, he'd be getting dragged more than he is.

He's been really bad.

I'm not sure if the fan base is being nice or just feels like it's punching down. He is so hapless at recruiting that it makes you wonder if he has a problem out of his control like terrible B.O. that scares away recruits. I feel kinda bad for him.

I'm not sure if the fan base is being nice or just feels like it's punching down. He is so hapless at recruiting that it makes you wonder if he has a problem out of his control like terrible B.O. that scares away recruits. I feel kinda bad for him.

All of this may be true.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Rumph is an awful recruiter, no debating.

But I think Patke is even worse, he's never landed anybody... Like at all.

I'd replace them both with better recruiters.
The difference is, for whatever reason, Diaz doesn’t assign Patke to recruit.

I can’t recall him ever being mentioned as a prospect’s lead recruiter.

Rumph has and he’s struck out a million times.

Rumph is an awful recruiter, no debating.

But I think Patke is even worse, he's never landed anybody... Like at all.

I'd replace them both with better recruiters.
All them dudes *** including banda. There is no way you can look at safety recruiting and say you are excited about it. A 2 year get of smith, washington, balom, and harrell doesn’t excite me at all.

Stroud only been here a year but I don’t think he like that on the trail either. **** we was getting some highly rated DEs under golden.

Advertisement
Back