Rumph Learning from Mistakes?

ageezy

Cane til I Die
Mike Rumph is excited about the cornerbacks UM signed, Trajan Bandy and JUCO arrival Jhavonte Dean.

“I think we finished pretty well, we got two really good corners who love the University of Miami,” Rumph said. “They’re selfless corners, all about the team.”

He adds that “You can pay attention to the four stars and the rankings, but you can’t measure those kids’ hearts. Us being in South Florida and really listening and learning about these kids, it showed us they’re kids with big hearts that want to be successful here. We’re excited to have them.”

Asked about Bandy, Rumph said, “I think he’ll be able to play different positions whether it’s nickel or corner. He has a big passion for the game, a lot of the locker room is familiar with him because he’s been around a good amount. He’s going to fit us well.”

Of Dean, Rumph said, “he’s a mature corner, great athleticism. He’s going to fit in real good because he’s from here, the corners know him, and he’s a confident kid. It’ll make our room more mature and confident.”

Rumph also says Dean’s mentality “is like a throwback Sean Taylor, Frank Gore - just `coach, I don’t fear anyone, I just want to play ball, I just want to win.’ I said `Wow, you sound like the throwbacks I used to play with.’”

Of course, Brian Edwards and CJ Henderson are the ones that got away.

“It came down to two days before signing (day) and they don’t know what they want to do,” Rumph said. “It’s just confusing to me. I wish the parents were a little more involved. When you’re making a big decision, for him to have his first decision about the rest of his life, I wish the parents would be more involved., but it was just very tedious and nerve-racking, I can tell you that up until the phone call I got at 12 (a.m. from Dean committing).”

Rumph says he’s learned from the recruiting losses.

“I always tell the high school kids it’s a business, go with your hearts, (but) I really want kids to consider to come here and not flake out on us at the last minute,” he said. “We’ll learn from when we do lose. When they finally tell me `Okay, I want to go here, I’m not going to Miami (I asked) `What was it, what can we do better the next time?’ And now I have some idea of different ways we can pursue things.”

Rumph says that he’s “already had” those conversations with Edwards and Henderson.

“I just wish more people would talk to them about their decisions, think about it more,” Rumph said, adding that an emphasis will be “just more pressure to make sure you land the kids you were recruiting for the year.”

At the end of the day the two misses didn’t take the shine off UM’s signing day.

“I’m so happy - as of now we’re just happy, excited to get some quality kids,” Rumph said.

Thoughts??

Advertisement
Glad to hear that, at least publicly, he acknowledges that there is work/improvement to be done. Hopefully it's not just public/coach speak and he takes it to heart going forward.

We had them kids in the bag and they flaked out. Can't fault him or the staff for that. Very candid interview. Rumph kept it 1000 about the situation. It is what it is

Advertisement
My thoughts are that he does not sound cut throat enough for the business of recruiting.

Seems honest. Shame it also sounds like he's more toward the beginning of the learning curve. At least he's willing to learn and go. Some other jackasses are too stubborn or proud.

Advertisement
Mike Rumph is excited about the cornerbacks UM signed, Trajan Bandy and JUCO arrival Jhavonte Dean.

“I think we finished pretty well, we got two really good corners who love the University of Miami,” Rumph said. “They’re selfless corners, all about the team.”

He adds that “You can pay attention to the four stars and the rankings, but you can’t measure those kids’ hearts. Us being in South Florida and really listening and learning about these kids, it showed us they’re kids with big hearts that want to be successful here. We’re excited to have them.”

Asked about Bandy, Rumph said, “I think he’ll be able to play different positions whether it’s nickel or corner. He has a big passion for the game, a lot of the locker room is familiar with him because he’s been around a good amount. He’s going to fit us well.”

Of Dean, Rumph said, “he’s a mature corner, great athleticism. He’s going to fit in real good because he’s from here, the corners know him, and he’s a confident kid. It’ll make our room more mature and confident.”

Rumph also says Dean’s mentality “is like a throwback Sean Taylor, Frank Gore - just `coach, I don’t fear anyone, I just want to play ball, I just want to win.’ I said `Wow, you sound like the throwbacks I used to play with.’”

Of course, Brian Edwards and CJ Henderson are the ones that got away.

“It came down to two days before signing (day) and they don’t know what they want to do,” Rumph said. “It’s just confusing to me. I wish the parents were a little more involved. When you’re making a big decision, for him to have his first decision about the rest of his life, I wish the parents would be more involved., but it was just very tedious and nerve-racking, I can tell you that up until the phone call I got at 12 (a.m. from Dean committing).”

Rumph says he’s learned from the recruiting losses.

“I always tell the high school kids it’s a business, go with your hearts, (but) I really want kids to consider to come here and not flake out on us at the last minute,” he said. “We’ll learn from when we do lose. When they finally tell me `Okay, I want to go here, I’m not going to Miami (I asked) `What was it, what can we do better the next time?’ And now I have some idea of different ways we can pursue things.”

Rumph says that he’s “already had” those conversations with Edwards and Henderson.

“I just wish more people would talk to them about their decisions, think about it more,” Rumph said, adding that an emphasis will be “just more pressure to make sure you land the kids you were recruiting for the year.”

At the end of the day the two misses didn’t take the shine off UM’s signing day.

“I’m so happy - as of now we’re just happy, excited to get some quality kids,” Rumph said.

Thoughts??

Where is this from?

Advertisement
Stupid *** article...

Rumph will be fine. Looks like we may have a decent draft class... another good year on the field...

No worries.

I feel really bad for him but I have to admit I'm not crazy about his responses.

He sounds like he has very little confidence. Since this is written, and not video, its hard to be sure, but at least the wording sounds like a lack of self-confidence.

If I were him, I would have responded about the two kids that didn't sign as follows: "I really don't want to talk about people that don't come here, I want to talk about the people that ARE here and that will make the University of Miami better, I'm not worried about anybody else". Leave it at that.

Striking a defiant and confident tone is what I would have done, but that's me. Apparently, he has a different personality and was being honest and introspective.

It's been my experience that for people that are going to be led, like recruits, they respond much better to self-assured and confident people.

Something to keep an eye on.

Buck up, coach Rumph. They're not here, fūck 'em.

Advertisement
We had them kids in the bag and they flaked out. Can't fault him or the staff for that. Very candid interview. Rumph kept it 1000 about the situation. It is what it is

Downvote

Sounds like an excuse to me Broke!!!

I commend him for being honest, but he sounds lost. Comes off as an honest dude who doesn't really get it.

We need a dog or two on this staff to close these deals. Brown is getting paid a ton of money pretty much solely to recruit because he's not calling plays, and all he does is post bible verses and got played by a fat chick with a bad weave.

Either we need to hire a dog, or we need to hire every leech down here to the support staff. What we're doing in South Florida isn't playing all that well. We're either pursuing shytheads, or we're not closing well enough on them.

My thoughts are that he does not sound cut throat enough for the business of recruiting.

does mark richt seem cutthroat?

Not enough for my liking. A persona that is agreeable to the public doesn't impress me whatsoever when it comes to the head coach of a major div 1 football program with expectations of greatness. I want a guy who will do whatever it takes to win championships and I think Richts' personality and principles have created a ceiling that is short of that.

Hope I am wrong.

I feel really bad for him but I have to admit I'm not crazy about his responses.

He sounds like he has very little confidence. Since this is written, and not video, its hard to be sure, but at least the wording sounds like a lack of self-confidence.

If I were him, I would have responded about the two kids that didn't sign as follows: "I really don't want to talk about people that don't come here, I want to talk about the people that ARE here and that will make the University of Miami better, I'm not worried about anybody else". Leave it at that.

Striking a defiant and confident tone is what I would have done, but that's me. Apparently, he has a different personality and was being honest and introspective.

It's been my experience that for people that are going to be led, like recruits, they respond much better to self-assured and confident people.

Something to keep an eye on.

Buck up, coach Rumph. They're not here, fūck 'em.

The fact that he called those two gator facquits to see what he did wrong tells me he's lost. They lied to him the whole time, but he expects them to be honest now? They'll just tell him something stupid or blame it on the fans or something dumb.

Advertisement
Back