Rumph and Banda #1 pass defense in the country

Never fails on a positive note about the canes and a fan bringing negativity to it.Banda and rumph good job those who complain about their recruiting fails.seems to me that defensive ranking shows they didn't fail.

Advertisement
Jackson-Bandy-redwine- Johnson was fun to watch this year. Romeo did his thing and Shaq and Pinckney improved 1000% percent in coverage compared to even last year

So people have stopped the Rumph hate suddenly? Man, this site sure does go through mood swings.I feel like I need dramamine for the ups and downs here.

What this shows that it's not all about the recruit all the time. It has a lot to do with how you develop the guys you get into your program! If we get most of our share from SFL whether they are 3 stars or a 5 star, if you have good coaching it doesn't matter the stars!! If they have the speed and the right body type for the position they can be developed into a force in their position.

They missed on some guys that went elsewhere but still manage to produce the #1 defensive back class in the nation!! It's about players plus coaching fellas!

Advertisement
We are going to have a wildly inexperienced but arguably more talented secondary next year.
I think Amari is ready to take that next steps. He played starter level minutes this year and had a very solid season.

It was very important for Hall to get thrown into the fire this year. We got burned at times for doing so, but the guy is going to benefit from it down the line.

Bandy is Bandy!......stud.

Ivy had some growing pains this year as a freshman, but like Hall, he will be better off because of being thrown in the fire.

The 4 above is a very solid group for our starting secondary.

We have every reason to believe, considering Rumph's ability to develop talent, that Blades and Frierson are going to eat next year as well.

The only group that I am a little concerned about are the backups at safety.

Never fails on a positive note about the canes and a fan bringing negativity to it.Banda and rumph good job those who complain about their recruiting fails.seems to me that defensive ranking shows they didn't fail.
Sure we didn’t exactly play a murderers row of offenses this year but ****, with what our offense and special teams did to this defense on a weekly basis, it’s hard to imagine a more valuable group on either side of the ball

I think Amari is ready to take that next steps. He played starter level minutes this year and had a very solid season.

It was very important for Hall to get thrown into the fire this year. We got burned at times for doing so, but the guy is going to benefit from it down the line.

Bandy is Bandy!......stud.

Ivy had some growing pains this year as a freshman, but like Hall, he will be better off because of being thrown in the fire.

The 4 above is a very solid group for our starting secondary.

We have every reason to believe, considering Rumph's ability to develop talent, that Blades and Frierson are going to eat next year as well.

The only group that I am a little concerned about are the backups at safety.

I think Blades starts.

He was an absolute maniac on special teams. I think that’s the type of natural progression that seems to happen.

And yeah as devastating as it is to lose JJ and Redwine, having Carter and Hall coming in feels pretty good. Experience takes a huge hit but there’s no lack of talent.

Congrats to Rumph and Banda!!

But Hmmmm I distinctly remember at the beginning of the season many here claimed that Rumph was a weak link that should be fired.

Advertisement
Props to the boys up front for allowing this to happen.

Maybe this will help with landing Stephenson or maybe it won't.

Them two will have a hard time in 2019 imo. We've had some dynamite DL here since 2016 and haven't recruited well enough to have a deep unit in 2019. Couple that with having to replace 4 of your top 5 DBs from 2018 and it could get ugly.

The front-line talent should be fine but there's not much experience behind Bandy, Carter, D. Smith.

Rumph is our best position coach. He consistently makes players better.

Advertisement
What this shows that it's not all about the recruit all the time. It has a lot to do with how you develop the guys you get into your program! If we get most of our share from SFL whether they are 3 stars or a 5 star, if you have good coaching it doesn't matter the stars!! If they have the speed and the right body type for the position they can be developed into a force in their position.

They missed on some guys that went elsewhere but still manage to produce the #1 defensive back class in the nation!! It's about players plus coaching fellas!
Coaching absolutely matters in today’s CFB. To contend for a ship I think u need both stars and coaching, but the last 2 regimes have been case studies in the Johnny & Joes vs. Xs and Os argument.

Poorly coached 4s lose to well coached 3s today.

Them two will have a hard time in 2019 imo. We've had some dynamite DL here since 2016 and haven't recruited well enough to have a deep unit in 2019. Couple that with having to replace 4 of your top 5 DBs from 2018 and it could get ugly.

The front-line talent should be fine but there's not much experience behind Bandy, Carter, D. Smith.
We thought the DL was gonna drop off this year too. They’ve been coached up and flourished. Let’s see what happens.

Advertisement
That’s interesting on vt but I digress

If you can put a full 12 game season only giving up 1650 yards passing then the proof is in the pudding period, We didn’t play Georgia tech every week so quit trying to use that as an indictment on the defense

They posted this without any foundation to it. Here is what I just pulled.

These are the rankings as according to PYPG.

VT- 38
UNC-47
FIU-50
Duke- 64
Toledo- 72
BC- 78
LSU- 80
UVA- T-83
Pitt- 120
GT- 126

We thought the DL was gonna drop off this year too. They’ve been coached up and flourished. Let’s see what happens.
Willis changed everything. He was better than any DT we've had around here in a long time. Completely changed plays and games. Mcintosh and Norton made horrendous decisions, as we know, and it actually looks worse for them because Willis would have made them look better.

We might not be able to replace that next year, but hopefully Garvin makes another leap and Rousseau shocks some people (which is not unreasonable to hope for). Nesta can be very good, though probably not Willis' level during the '18 season type of good. The other DT spot needs a significant jump from multiple players.

Willis changed everything. He was better than any DT we've had around here in a long time. Completely changed plays and games. Mcintosh and Norton made horrendous decisions, as we know, and it actually looks worse for them because Willis would have made them look better.

We might not be able to replace that next year, but hopefully Garvin makes another leap and Rousseau shocks some people (which is not unreasonable to hope for). Nesta can be very good, though probably not Willis' level during the '18 season type of good. The other DT spot needs a significant jump from multiple players.

All true.. Willis made the D better, and we need dudes stepping up. But unlike the O, it’s not insane to have some hope that all that happens.. or at least comes close to happening.

Yeah sorry I don't for one moment believe we will have a better pass defense next year after losing Redwine and Jaquan. Those two aren't exactly amazing in pass defense but they were great senior safeties who will both be drafted pretty highly.

Amari Carter has shown that he misses a lot of tackles, which is a bad quality in safeties. His coverage has been okay, but his biggest strength is blitzing imo. Gurvan Hall I'm hopefully can be better than both Jaquan and Redwine, but he's only gonna be a sophomore.

And at CB sure we have a LOT of young talent, but as overrated as Michael Jackson was and as much as y'all hate Dean, there were clearly the best options this year, so unless our frosh CBs step up a **** load, CB probably won't be much better than it was this year.

...and the pass rush likely won't be as good either, especially after losing Willis (are Ford and Nesta gonna step up?) And if we lose Joe Jackson which is likely (prob gonna be a 2ndl3rd if he leaves early) our DE depth is straight ***.
Blades played a lot and showed he could cover. Plus he came in late. I think he will be steady

Advertisement
Back