Ruben Hyppolite

Pretty sure we passed on all those guys, Rosendo he may have passed on us or vice verse, I would have taken Bonnito

Louis for sure told us to kick rocks. Thankfully he told FSU to do the same. Bonnito is competing to start for OU this year. There was definite mutual interest on Reese, but we lost him.

Again, this thread is just full of excuse makers. The LB recruiting has been bad, I really don’t know how or why you’d deny that. It’s ok, we don’t have to close the program down. The NCAA will still probably let us play 12 games this fall. But why is it so taboo to call out the staff for the situation we’re in now and how it looks to be heading in 2020?

Advertisement
They didn’t really push for Nic tho.

Kinda goes back to my point. Maybe they should have. I’m not saying this one kid, or any one kid, would be some savior. If the 3 seniors stay healthy this year, we should be OK at backer. Next year is another story, we absolutely need to have hit on some of the younger kids on the roster who haven’t played yet (looking at you, Avery Huff).

But the recruiting at the position has been bad. Really no other way to slice it. If people wanna make excuses as to why, be my guest. But that’s not how I live my life nor how football coaches should. It’s about the bottom line, and that’s it.

Louis for sure told us to kick rocks. Thankfully he told FSU to do the same. Bonnito is competing to start for OU this year. There was definite mutual interest on Reese, but we lost him.

Again, this thread is just full of excuse makers. The LB recruiting has been bad, I really don’t know how or why you’d deny that. It’s ok, we don’t have to close the program down. The NCAA will still probably let us play 12 games this fall. But why is it so taboo to call out the staff for the situation we’re in now and how it looks to be heading in 2020?
I think we're in more agreement here than you think, there's just been a lot factors that have hurt us in LB recruiting, but its not something that I'm not panicking about, injuries have struck our depth, 3 solidified starters from their freshman-senior years, and some misses

I think we're in more agreement here than you think, there's just been a lot factors that have hurt us in LB recruiting, but its not something that I'm not panicking about, injuries have struck our depth, 3 solidified starters from their freshman-senior years, and some misses

Fair enough. And my only point from day 1 is this is the year to rectify all that. There are literally NO excuses now. You can easily sell every single aspect of playing LB here to any recruit. What’s in the past is in the past anyway, we can’t do anything about it. But we can make it right this cycle. My concern is, I don’t see the trend in that direction. But it’s June.

Advertisement
Kinda goes back to my point. Maybe they should have. I’m not saying this one kid, or any one kid, would be some savior. If the 3 seniors stay healthy this year, we should be OK at backer. Next year is another story, we absolutely need to have hit on some of the younger kids on the roster who haven’t played yet (looking at you, Avery Huff).

But the recruiting at the position has been bad. Really no other way to slice it. If people wanna make excuses as to why, be my guest. But that’s not how I live my life nor how football coaches should. It’s about the bottom line, and that’s it.
Whatever happened with the Louis kid?

But if you have three serious injuries in any position it all goes to ****. It’s not entirely that rare but who is really satisfied with the depth at 4th or 5th LB? Or 4th strong RB? Or 4th Safety?

I’d love to have another Linebacker but CJ Perry transferred because of lack of game time, Wilder, Jennings and Steed all have serious injuries. That’s 4 guys who were in the plans now suddenly out. We could have probably another freshmen but would that really change anything this year?

Give me a break. If you have 3 injuries on the OL or DL, you move guys around. Same with DBs. I'm not saying it's perfect, but you do it.

But when you combine 3 injuries and lower recruiting numbers (combination of guys possibly being afraid to wait behind Shaq/Pinck/McCloud and the rise of the DB-to-striker model), then you have a much more serious problem THAN WE HAVE HAD IN THE PAST.

And, for the record, I am not proposing that we sign 4 freshman. For years, I have been one of the biggest proponents of JuCo kids filling in these unexpected gaps so that we are not forced to oversign a position in a particular year.

Roster management.

What does that mean? There’s an endless list of Miami players that went pro from a position they weren’t in high school or recruited for. Brooks was one of the best LBs in the state. Huff is a freak. Then Gil will be hard to take off the field, as well as Smith and Bolden..

I don't know if the list is "endless", but it is impressive.

Advertisement
Finley didn't out perform mccloud. Finley was basically used as the coverage guy while zach played the early downs. Finley 28 tackles, 5tfls, and 2 picks. Zach 44 tackles, 4.5 tfls, 1.5 sacks.

In how many total snaps, though? Against L$U, according to PFF, McCloud had 29 snaps to Finley's 18. It's just one game, but if McCloud was averaging somewhere between 1.5 to 2 times as many snaps as Finley, don't those numbers start to support the narrative that Finley outperformed McCloud? Also, there's this:

"Finley was targeted 15 times and allowed only five completions for 61 yards, with two interceptions and no touchdowns yielded, according to Miami Herald correspondent Daniel Gould. What’s more, Pro Football Focus said Finley never missed a tackle all season."

Finley was one of the most improved players on the defense last year, if not the whole team. I'm expecting big things from him this season.

Last edited:
I think our de-emphasis of LBs on the field may have something to do with it. You can’t tout 4-2-5 flexibility, the striker position, and take hybrid DEs every cycle and it not have a residual effect on the position group that gets smaller as a consequence.

Fair point that I had not considered.
I could see a savvy coach recruiting against UM by telling a kid, "look at McCloud's snap count last year. He lost snaps to Finley at striker. That's the direction Coach Diaz and his staff are going. You'll get more defensive snaps (and more film for NFL coaches) in three years here than you will in 4 years at Miami."

Decommitted from FSU late and signed with USCe. Redshirted last year, is working at mike as a R-Fr this year. They have their leading tackler from last season coming back ahead of him though as a senior. They expect Louis to take that spot next year.
LOL

So he didn't want to come to sit behind Shaq, and he finally sees a lot of playing time the year after Shaq leaves...

LMAO Fvck that kid!

Throwing our hat on the ground just to flip to USCe and sit for 2 years...

Advertisement
LOL

So he didn't want to come to sit behind Shaq, and he finally sees a lot of playing time the year after Shaq leaves...

LMAO Fvck that kid!

Throwing our hat on the ground just to flip to USCe and sit for 2 years...

Yup. And hence the reason that the depth chart crying excuse is total horse****. Muschamp convinced him to take his *** to Blumpkin, South Carolina to sit for 2 years. But no way we can expect Manny to recruit anyone when we have 55 & 56 on the roster. Absolutely ridiculous excuse.

Shows how little you actually know. South Florida market is actually one of the more difficult areas recruit because everyone comes to it to recruit. Furthermore, you have had the big 3 bag schools Bama, Clemson, and UGAy that are basically poaching most of the top players in the entire state.
And those are the LB's that I want. We should only leave the state or South Florida for elite kids. I'm not sure if Cave is elite; but I trust the staff's evaluation for him and I believe that he will be good.
There is no reason that we should be going toe to toe with a 4-8 team like Maryland for Hippolite.

Fair point that I had not considered.
I could see a savvy coach recruiting against UM by telling a kid, "look at McCloud's snap count last year. He lost snaps to Finley at striker. That's the direction Coach Diaz and his staff are going. You'll get more defensive snaps (and more film for NFL coaches) in three years here than you will in 4 years at Miami."
Add that to the fact McCloud type backers aren’t really needed in our system. So that’s why they’re going smaller types that can get to the ball and cover.

Advertisement
Justin Flowe
Antoine Stampah
Derek Wingo
Trenton Simpson
Jayion McCluster
Stephen Dix, Jr
Ruben Hyppolite
Jaylen Harrell
Devon Betty

Shall I go on?
I think you forgot Sav'ell Smalls since we're going top shelf. And I'd throw in our guy, Cave who is just below that group.

In how many total snaps, though? Against L$U, according to PFF, McCloud had 29 snaps to Finley's 18. It's just one game, but if McCloud was averaging somewhere between 1.5 to 2 times as many snaps as Finley, don't those numbers start to support the narrative that Finley outperformed McCloud? Also, there's this:

"Finley was targeted 15 times and allowed only five completions for 61 yards, with two interceptions and no touchdowns yielded, according to Miami Herald correspondent Daniel Gould. What’s more, Pro Football Focus said Finley never missed a tackle all season."

Finley was one of the most improved players on the defense last year, if not the whole team. I'm expecting big things from him this season.
I think the more spread teams we played the more finley played. Mccloud missed 2 or 3 games too.

Add that to the fact McCloud type backers aren’t really needed in our system. So that’s why they’re going smaller types that can get to the ball and cover.
Mccloud aint that big. 6'2 235 is what the nfl is looking for. Mccloud problem isn't getting to the ball. It's when he is out in space. H we was better last year because finley took those responsibilities in space.

Advertisement
Back