Rousseau Opts out - F****

We’re in the middle of a major depression, not a recession, and the country is experiencing its biggest financial crisis is nearly 100 years. And that’s against a backdrop of a pandemic that could have long lasting and wide ranging impacts on athletes.

Rosseau would’ve been a **** fool to risk his health and millions of dollars given the stakes and the current environment.

EVERY single projected 1st and 2nd round pick would be wise to opt out. Heck, odds are we won’t have a season anyway, so don’t risk contracting the virus or getting hurt in fall camp, leading up to a season we probably won’t have in full. It’ll probably be only 2-4 games at best before complete cancellation

Since you brought it up, COVID is not the "backdrop" to anything--it is the main antagonist as it is a topic discussed at about every waking minute on the news and social media. I can not even take a **** in peace without hearing about COVID.

Advertisement
Hard to say if it’s “good” or “bad” since he’ll still be a 1st round pick and make millions. With that said he had a shot at the number 2 or 3 pick and get over 30mil guaranteed. If the season comes to fruition and other players have a chance at more film I wouldn’t be shocked to see him slide to the 15 range and have his earning potential cut in half. His personal brand and immediate endorsement opportunities he’d normally get after the season will take an enormous hit.
Interesting. I thought playing and having a really dominant year would be the way to go but I am so far removed from the situation it is better to gather intel from those who are not in my boots. That said, he gets hurt and he is collecting on an insurance policy and not the potential of multiple contracts and potential endorsement deals

We’re in the middle of a major depression, not a recession, and the country is experiencing its biggest financial crisis is nearly 100 years. And that’s against a backdrop of a pandemic that could have long lasting and wide ranging impacts on athletes.

Rosseau would’ve been a **** fool to risk his health and millions of dollars given the stakes and the current environment.

EVERY single projected 1st and 2nd round pick would be wise to opt out. Heck, odds are we won’t have a season anyway, so don’t risk contracting the virus or getting hurt in fall camp, leading up to a season we probably won’t have in full. It’ll probably be only 2-4 games at best before complete cancellation

Everyone repeat after me .... "There is insurance available for schools to purchase on behalf of players to protect against injury/Covid complications causing a drop in a player's draft stock" .... so your comment is completely nullified. This information is on practically every single page of this thread yet you and others continue to post this drivel as a legitimate reason which it is not.

Advertisement
Everyone repeat after me .... "There is insurance available for schools to purchase on behalf of players to protect against injury/Covid complications causing a drop in a player's draft stock" .... so your comment is completely nullified. This information is on practically every single page of this thread yet you and others continue to post this drivel as a legitimate reason which it is not.

The insurance protects his finances (arguably), not his health.

You guys that want to quarantine and have a beer while you watch these kids play are really something.

GR said his mother is a Covid nurse, and that played into his decision. He’s gone. Move on.

The insurance protects his finances (arguably), not his health.

You guys that want to quarantine and have a beer while you watch these kids play are really something.

GR said his mother is a Covid nurse, and that played into his decision. He’s gone. Move on.

on top of that, hes the only one on here who actually plays on saturday, who went through practices, etc. hes the reason hes a first round pick. not us. its his decision. as fans, were selfish af bc we dont give a **** if he doesnt do well following um. on top of that, if he has a chance at life changing money, go get it bc hes earned it. none of us would be paying his bills or caring for he and his family. that responsibility is his alone.

on top of that, hes the only one on here who actually plays on saturday, who went through practices, etc. hes the reason hes a first round pick. not us. its his decision. as fans, were selfish af bc we dont give a **** if he doesnt do well following um. on top of that, if he has a chance at life changing money, go get it bc hes earned it. none of us would be paying his bills or caring for he and his family. that responsibility is his alone.
To me, what GR did is similar to winning the lottery and taking the lump sum payment. Yes, you get less than you’d get by taking yearly payments for the rest of your life. But by taking the lump sum, it is guaranteed $ and you get it now. That is his decision to make. Strangers on a message board criticizing his decision are creeps.

When you add in Covid, it becomes even more glaring. Everyone has a different opinion on it. I’m not the Covid police. When I invited friends over for drinks last weekend, I didn’t make them quarantine for 14 days before they came. I don’t bash people for going to the gym or to a restaurant. But I also don’t bash people that haven’t left their house since March.

Maybe there are ulterior motives (millions of $). Maybe he actually takes Covid seriously cause his mom is a front line nurse. Who knows. Who cares? He’s gone.

Advertisement
I completely get and respect any kid doing this . Sucks as far as being a fan but makes complete sense. I suspect more top 10 picks do this .
It was the logical thing to do for a kid not on any kind of Clemson payroll. Hurts like **** to lose him, but every single one of these "fans" complaining about his decision would've done the same thing in his position

Well on this I still have to disagree with you Original. The best player on the 2000 team was dan Morgan and of course we all know Ed was on the 2001 team. Basically the point I was trying to make is this guy is our chase young these year, a kid that can actually win a championship for us all by himself and with the team we have and the chance we have to contend for him to just quit on his team by using the phony @ss corona excuse is bull$hit man! He gave up on this team and that is an unforgivable sin in my book as the clear cut best player on the team and had a chance to be the best player in all of CFB. Edgerrin would have never done that, ed would have never done that, Sean would have never done that, Sapp would have never done that, ray would have never done that, and Gino and many others would have never done that. It’s selfish no matter how you want to spin it and I’m surprised so very few of my fellow canes on her aren’t ******* ****ed about this and calling it what it is instead of just saying “wish him the best” and. “ cane forever”. Fvck that, he lost that right when he quit on this team today. Smh

I loved Dan Morgan. I had his jersey, I wore his jersey to games.

We don't have to fight over it, Dan and Nate were two dominant LBs.

I'm simply pointing out...the guy asked for an example, I gave him one.

People forget what happened between 1999 and 2000. We thought the loss of Kenny Kelly was going to destroy us, we had no idea how good Dorsey was going to be.

Nate was absolutely one of maybe the two best players on that team RETURNING (though many others emerged in 2000 and beyond).

As for 1LuvCane acting as if Nate made some sort of paperwork error, I laugh. Sure, I would have loved to get Nate back for 2000, but he absolutely wanted to start earning money at that point.

Someone asked for an example, I gave him one. Sure, there are similarities and differences. But let's all just move on and try to have another 2000 season in 2020.

Advertisement
I fully agree.

I read what Díaz said today about the practice and trying to stay socially distant. But this is a contact sport.

I don’t think we will finish the season either. All these bodies. One kid test positive after he just played a whole game and has had physical contact with the entire other team.....hopeful we get a full season.

Exactly.

We are talking about a WEEKLY test. What happens if a kid contracts Covid and spreads it on any of the other six days?

I hope and pray this doesn't happen. I would love to have a full football season. But I am very concerned that the chances are incredibly low, due to the contact nature of the sport, the number of participants, the lack of a "bubble", and the relative immaturity of college athletes when compared to professional athletes.

I actually clicked on your link, which, conveniently, is from 2016.

You think there is a carrier that’d underwrite Covid? Even if there was, do you know what the cost of that would be? Can you even imagine the exclusions that would be contained in the policy? How would you ever prove that the player got the virus while playing football?

Everyone repeat after me: this argument is nonsense.

Advertisement
Would he have been a Top 10 pick this past draft?

If eligible, possibly. Depends on the number of players.

For instance, if you immediately made all college players eligible to be drafted, some kids would see their projected positions drop due to more draft candidates.

Now, if Greg had a great combine in spring 2020, yes, it's very possible.

#2 (Chase Young)? Maybe not. But the next DE drafted was Yetur Gross-Matos at #38 overall (second round), so I think Greg would go higher than that in 2020.

Chase Young had 16.5 sacks in 2019. Greg had 15.5 in 2019. Yetur had 17.5 for 2018 and 2019 combined.

Who knows?

They’re are probably 6 posters on here who’s post I read. Other than that I might stop scrolling for a screenshot.

It's nothing personal, not a criticism of you personally, just an observation that at least a dozen other guys have used the exact same line.

No chance.

Sure, he had some good / great games, but there were others where he all but vanished.

He had the opportunity to come back and establish it wasn't some fluke. That he could do it every game, not just against an all-time **** poor FSU OL and a bunch of nobodies. Teams wouldn't be able to double team him this year, not with Phillips and Roche.

He cost himself a lot of money with this one.
What Games did he vanish? Every elite DE has games they vanish btw... Chase Young vanished for the 3 most important games of Ohio State season last year and still went #2... Having a ton of film isn't everything. Good film is far more important. So much goes into the drafting process, Rousseau is a physical freak and will show up at the combine in the best shape of his life. Dudes 6'7 255LBs and is a former Safety/WR. Dudes going to show up at the combine running a 4.68 and benching 20-25 Reps at 225LBs. The NFL draft is all about upside and projecting what that player will become and Rousseau has more then enough film to show his upside. Don't forget he has 2 years of Practice and Spring film as well

Advertisement
Back