Rousseau Opts out - F****

Advertisement
Classic Canes bullshyt. Guy plays one **** year and splits. He's hoping to go high off the hype.

Dudes are just using this opt out as an excuse to not play football. They're not scared of COVID.
“He’s hoping to go high off the hype”. I think he needs a bit more tape but don’t you think him getting 15.5 sacks last year goes beyond “hype”? He proved himself on the field last year... and only started half the year. Then you say, “Dudes are just using this opt out as an excuse to not play football”. You say that as if you know it for certain. You don’t..

Yes, I assumed he would opt out. Just thought it would be a high-risk move because of the body of work. I really want it to work out for him though. Looks good for the Canes to have a 3 star become a top 5 pick.
Bosa being drafted second opened a lot of players eyes to their value without playing most of the season. At the time, the question was asked, will we see more of this? We now know the answer.

Advertisement
so w his combo of size, ptoential and athleticism -- you see a team passing him up? this will be the only season where opting out wont hurt them in the eyes of GMs considering their own players are opting out.
Agree. He'll have a monster Combine since he was going to anyway and now will be almost exclusively training just for that and this will be one of the rare exceptions where NFL front offices unanimously don't hold it against a kid for not playing.

Sucks for us obviously and for his legacy as a Cane on the field but I don't think it's the wrong decision.

This is a dumb/weird/expensive decision.

For the "worried about Covid or injury" crowd ... UM can buy him insurance which would protect his earnings potential. By all accounts GR15 has a very stable family who could also likely buy additional insurance (even if financed).

For the "he's a top 15 pick" crowd ... w/o playing he's not going top 15 on limited film. The difference between #5 and #25 is tens of millions of dollars.

For the "this is a dangerous/uncertain time" ... would you rather be a "regular" person or be monitored daily by a highly trained medical staff effectively getting the best care available 24/7?
Go tell that to Kyler Murray and Joe Burrow

Advertisement
What's the point of playing when you are a guaranteed 1st round pick threw a Covid season when you don't know if you're playing one week or the next. He can also get Covid and spread it to his family or at worst it can effect him long term. He can also suffer a season ending Injury. If you're a 1st Round Lock you shouldn't be playing in my opinion, go get that money and take care of your family for Life.
Of course you'd say this. I'm impressed you've managed to last on this board.

I just wanted to see an actual top 10 dude on our team ball for a change. When's the last time we got that? That's worth a lot more to me than some big dudes on other teams dropping out.

I think you will. Guy by the name of D'Eriq King after he wins the Heisman. :) Also I think Philips could be a top 10 pick.

Advertisement
I just wanted to see an actual top 10 dude on our team ball for a change. When's the last time we got that? That's worth a lot more to me than some big dudes on other teams dropping out.

for our enjoyment yes, but this is their life not their saturday escape from the real world.

Advertisement
Maybe.

I would expect the rotation to be Roche, Phillips, Harvey & Cam Williams, with Blissett as well.

Idk if Chantz has fully recovered from his broken forearm he suffered his Senior year.

I think Quentin Willams could sneak his way into the rotation.

Put a cast or brace on that forearm and ball. WE BE CLUBBIN!

man I don’t agree with you much, but he is 100% using Covid to secure his draft status as a top 20 pick instead of playing and potentially getting hurt/underperforming. Has zero to do with Covid, and is kinda a selfish bc this team with King can compete this year. Hopefully Jealen Phillips was the number one recruit in the nation for a reason. His time to shine.

Yep. This is why it's hard for me to wrap my mind around this. In a complete vacuum, of course it's smart to sit out. You can just workout until April and you're a millionaire. But nobody has ever done that before, ever. And the reason is because, if you're a football player, you play football. Scouts, GMs, your teammates....everyone hits you with a side-eye in a normal climate if you just say, "Hey, I know I'm good enough to play in the league, so y'all got this. I'll be in the weight room".

So clearly, the only reason kids are doing this now is because of Covid. Nothing else has changed. 2020 is the same as every single season since 1880 except for one variable: COVID-19. And, IMO, kids have people in their ear saying, "Now is your chance. You can do what people really SHOULD have been doing for a long time, but now you have an acceptable excuse. You don't want to play because of Covid. Opt-out. Let's go to the bank."

So, if you wanna say he's smart by sitting out, I agree. But also if you wanna say it's all bull**** and Covid has nothing to do with it, that's also true.

Wow I really thought he would play but if he's projected in the top 5 then I can't blame him.... That's a lot of freaking money...

Classic Canes bullshyt. Guy plays one **** year and splits. He's hoping to go high off the hype.

Dudes are just using this opt out as an excuse to not play football. They're not scared of COVID.
Man, I don't want to ride with you on this considering the global circumstances. But, we've seen so much of this over the years, I low key feel the same sentiment if I'm honest with myself.

Advertisement
Back