Rousseau Opts out - F****

Obviously, as a fan I’m disappointed. But fandom aside, I think he’s making a very bad decision. He doesn’t have the tape volume to justify a top 10 pick but would have had he played. I just can’t see a team taking him before the end of the first round now and thought he’d go top 10 if he returned, maybe even top 5.

Advertisement
1596740619996.jpeg

He’s a first rounder so I get it. Just because he may not be a top 5 pick, doesn’t mean he isn’t a guaranteed first rounder. First round is first round.

There is 30 million dollar salary difference (20 mil guaranteed diff) between the 5th pick and the 15th pick. That's kind of a big difference.

Advertisement
Rousseau could be making a small mistake here. He's going 1st round. But if he played he could probably lock up a top 5-10 draft slot. I don't think he's done that yet. Micah Parsons has though.
Here’s the thing. Biggest risk here is he drops draft spots. But biggest risk playing is he gets a disease Or injury that could end his athletic career permanently. So the highest payoff might be playing and locking up a top 5 spot, but the risk is just way too high to end up with nothing.

You don't see marvin wilson opting out, terry opting out, Lawrence, Etienne, etc. opting out. Same old **** boys. BOL to him but he's not going 1st round off one sophomore season tape.

Who wants to bet FRM signs him

LOL go **** yourself. you cry about the U being a family but when we have a once in a lifetime pandemic that isnt under control, hes exercising what may be in his best interest. you also dont know **** bout his home situation as it regards to any family members with risk factors that could put them in harms way.

Advertisement
I haven’t seen a single mock that doesn’t have him as the first DE off the board in the next draft.
Yeah and it's a year before the draft. What happens when the other top DEs play a season and a GM has to decide on a guy who has started only like 6 games with only film from his sophomore year or a guy who played all last season?

Advertisement
I'll be honest, I was expecting a sophomore slump from him (which usually happens to freshmen that break out in a big way).

He might've thought the same and decided to just avoid it by sitting out. Let's be honest, it's unlikely he would've had 15+ sacks again.
I wouldn’t say sophomore slump, but I think it’s fair to say his sack numbers wouldn’t match last season. Probably would face more double teams and I think the line overall is deeper and more talented than last year.

Von Miller went from like 17 sacks as a junior to 8 or 9 as a senior and he was still a top 3 pick and perennial pro bowler.

Advertisement
Can someone explain to me why this is a smart move?

Like, I understand why it'd be normally. But this would have never happened without Covid. So is this just an excuse? Nobody has ever skipped a fall season before, as far as I know. So are the kids scared of Covid? Or they haven't trained properly, so they might risk injury? I just don't get how this is acceptable.

I just feel like it was a very premature decision, this season is attempting to happen but it likely wont happen in its entirety. So say you're playing and when **** hits the fan the season is cancelled, no harm no foul. Will be hard to assess him off of not even a full season as a starter, based on potential easily a top pick, but I still (selfishly) want to see him to show out more here for the good guys.

Advertisement
Back