Rosier

TheZacMamba

Recruit
I know this post isnt going to change the opinions of anyone BUT the Rosier constant 'Rosier is trash' posts are annoying. I am not going to sit here and act like I've never gotten frustrated with him or acts like he sucks. We all know the playbook was limited with him and he had SEVERE accuracy issue. But why are we acting like he will not improve this off season. We assume every other player at every other position is going to take a step forward but then act like Rosier is going to be exactly the same or take 10 steps back. Do i think he is going to complete 70% and be a Heisman candidate? Fu** NO! but do i think he will improve his accuracy and be able to read defenses better than last year? Of course.

We would all love to see what the young talent could bring to the table, as starters, but the coaching staff is going to start the best guy (Rosier). We have all watched the games and most of you have dissected the film after but the coaching staff has done that and then some, plus all the stuff they see in practice. So all of yall that think you have the answer to us winning the Natty, you dont. Humble your self, kick back and relaaaaax.

Got a little off topic but Rosier is the guy and will improve. lol. that was the point of this garbage post.

Advertisement
There are way more playmakers on the offensive side of the ball and better depth. The offensive line needs to shore up some things yes but I don’t believe they will digress. Also a real FB this year. Odds are Rosier improves from last year.

My issues with Rosier stem from the fact i believe we have perhaps our most talented team in the last 15 years this season with CFP caliber talent but a giant ? in terms of QB. The momentum we have generated under Richt is something that needs to be cherished and grown and will be COMPLETELY LOST if we lose 3 games this season. I would argue this season is perhaps one of the most important in the history of our program in terms of reemerging on the national scene. College football is a what have you done for me lately kind of business and we havent done much up until the last two years so it is ABSOLUTELY imperative that we not blow it this year

Advertisement
Feel like the talent will be too great around him to fail this year honestly if he is the starter

Advertisement
Feel like the talent will be too great around him to fail this year honestly if he is the starter
Adding talent does not make one a better passer. Adding talent helps an accurate passer far more than it helps an inaccurate passer. Kenny Kelly had Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, and Bubba Franks, so having that talent means nothing without a QB that can hit it.

Now, I hope Rosier improves, and getting closer to 60% would be nice. However, if getting to 60% means fewer shots downfield because he can't hit them, or fewer passes over the middle because he's not comfortable with them, it will mean little. Completing more 2 yard passes does nothing for our O, and it certainly won't help the run game. It's more than just % that counts, it's being able to hit the ones that he couldn't hit last year. It's getting first downs and keeping the chains moving. He needs to improve more than a little for us to succeed, and completion percentage alone won't tell the story.

Because he didn’t show improvement as the year went on, actually got worse when teams caught on to him, also didn’t show improvement in the spring game reps thats were my issue is with him what we have seen is what we are going to get and tbh it really wasn’t all that great

The problem I have with Rosier is that I believe he's physically limited to the point where any improvement will only be incremental and for Miami to push for the playoff, they need significantly better QB play. He's not going to get much better. His throwing motion is an elongated baseball motion and his accuracy and (as important) timing will suffer because of it. There's no magic fix for his issues. The offense isn't scaled back because he doesn't know the playbook, it's scaled back because he's incapable of making a number of the throws required to run the entire offense.

The most improvement in a quarterback happens in the first 2 years of college. After that, improvement happens but at a significantly reduced rate. By your Redshirt Junior to Senior year, the improvement is miniscule.
If you are expecting Rosier to make huge strides on accuracy and decision making, you will be disappointed. At this point he is what he is. A 40-50% completion percentage one read guy who can occasionally make a play with his legs.

Advertisement
Richt has said many times that a player improves the most in his first few months. From there, the curve of improvement tails off. Rosier is in his 5th year so we can't expect him to go from a single read and pass/run to going through his progressions. What we can hope for is better separation from our WRs/RBs/TEs leading to easier passes for Rosier to hit on that first read. We can also hope that having JT, Richards, Cager all at 100% will lead to more YAC! On the downside, teams will game plan again Rosier's lack of going through his progressions so the % of completions will almost always be a function of how well Richt guesses what the D is going to give him on any given play.

Our bigger concern: Can Donaldson transform himself into a solid RT? Will the GT take that LG or RG spot to sure up the inside? Do we have enough quality depth at DL?

With Rosier, the frustrating part is that we don't need him to be anything better than a 60% passer to be successful. He doesn't need to be a gunslinger either; we need him to be able to gather himself and make the easy throws and find a rhythm. That probably wasn't enough to keep Clemson close, but that was definitely enough to beat Pitt and Wisconsin handedly. At this point, with a year under his belt, he should have enough knowledge of the offense to know where to go with the ball.

To me it's simple. Richt's offense is uncomplicated but effective-- it challenges all levels of the field and only requires fundamentals and athleticism. We have plenty of the latter. If he hasn't progressed enough on the former, start someone else and let them cut their teeth. If he has, he's the guy. Roll with him.

Our starting WR's this year are likely to be Richards (finally healthy), Cager (finally healthy), and Thomas (should know the playbook now), with Pope, Hightower and Harley getting lots of playing time. Don't be surprised if all of a sudden his accuracy "improves" now that everyone's healthy and he's not having to complete passes to Langham and Harris.

Advertisement
The most improvement in a quarterback happens in the first 2 years of college. After that, improvement happens but at a significantly reduced rate. By your Redshirt Junior to Senior year, the improvement is miniscule.
If you are expecting Rosier to make huge strides on accuracy and decision making, you will be disappointed. At this point he is what he is. A 40-50% completion percentage one read guy who can occasionally make a play with his legs.

Assuming your premise is correct, which I don’t concede because I don’t know where that law is written about improvement, Rosier basically sat around and did nothing, except for one start, until last year....so you could consider last year his first year of actually being heavily involved. Just another way to look at it.

But seriously, where does it say QBs improvement is mostly in the first 2 years. It’s such a qualitative and unprovable statement, seems to me.

I want to go to the ACCCG every year. Period! End of story. I also want to go the CFPo every year and the NC game every year. But, I recognize that in a team sport we may not win all the time. Right now Clemson is loaded and was better than our team last year and probably will be better than us this year. That does not mean I do not want to play that game-I do want them. But, I will not be surprised that we do not win our 6* NC this year.........

What do you guys think happens if Rosier completes 61% of his passes?

Advertisement
Back