Roscoe Parrish III

Does anybody know if his dad saved his coin? His dad made some money but it wasn’t like he made 50-60 mil. Plus Roscoe would then have to meet standard academic requirements which judging by him going the prep route he won’t.
Boy y’all nosey, why does that matter? That’s too personal, and even if someone knew, I’d hope they wouldn’t say .

Advertisement
Im

Educate me real quick bro;

Is Florida GPA’s somehow different than other places? 4.0 is straight A’s; anything above a 4.0 coupled w/ that high of a SAT is usually a shoe in for your top academic institutions across this country. What am I missing here? A 5.0 seems like an extremely high GPA. I mean 3.87 and above w that SAT should get a person a full ride academically.

OK, so when I was in HS (1980s), the only "bump" we got was an extra 0.5 for Advanced Placement classes. I had a 4.0 from 1st grade to 12th grade, so with all my AP classes, I got up to a 4.1 HS GPA.

By the 90s, Florida HS's started giving bumps for "Advanced" classes, bigger bumps for "Gifted" classes, and a super bump for AP classes. 18 of my 24 HS credits were Advanced/Gifted/AP, so I definitely would have done better under the new method. I also had 2 credits of PE, 3 credits of regular Latin, and 1 credit of Journalism.

However, when I looked at the Florida Dept of Education, it seems like the most you can have is a 5.0 for AP, so if you have a 5.0 that would mean every class you take in HS is AP. Doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
OK, so when I was in HS (1980s), the only "bump" we got was an extra 0.5 for Advanced Placement classes. I had a 4.0 from 1st grade to 12th grade, so with all my AP classes, I got up to a 4.1 HS GPA.

By the 90s, Florida HS's started giving bumps for "Advanced" classes, bigger bumps for "Gifted" classes, and a super bump for AP classes. 18 of my 24 HS credits were Advanced/Gifted/AP, so I definitely would have done better under the new method. I also had 2 credits of PE, 3 credits of regular Latin, and 1 credit of Journalism.

However, when I looked at the Florida Dept of Education, it seems like the most you can have is a 5.0 for AP, so if you have a 5.0 that would mean every class you take in HS is AP. Doesn't seem right.

Back in the late 90s, you'd get a 2 point bump for an A or B in an IB or AP class. 1 point bump for the same grade in an Honors class. So GPAs over 5.0 were possible back in the day. Not sure if that's been toned down since.

Back in the late 90s, you'd get a 2 point bump for an A or B in an IB or AP class. 1 point bump for the same grade in an Honors class. So GPAs over 5.0 were possible back in the day. Not sure if that's been toned down since.

Yeah, I knew I wasn't crazy, that sounds about right, like what I remember. I remember reading about all of those Silver Knight kids in the Miami Herald, and they all seemed to have 6.0 GPAs. Looks like FL may have toned things down a bit. Maybe Roscoe's girl had a 5.0 Senior Year GPA, but it seems impossible to do that for all 4 years.

Yeah, I knew I wasn't crazy, that sounds about right, like what I remember. I remember reading about all of those Silver Knight kids in the Miami Herald, and they all seemed to have 6.0 GPAs. Looks like FL may have toned things down a bit. Maybe Roscoe's girl had a 5.0 Senior Year GPA, but it seems impossible to do that for all 4 years.

Yeah; that’s pretty amazing if she’s had a 5.0 all 4 yrs. Get her in to Dartmouth!

Advertisement
You’re nosey, why counting another man dollars? These kids personal life non of your cuisines.. none! I’m just gone tell ya like it is. Ya nosey!
Who said it was? Why are your panties in a bunch? lmao

Advertisement
You're kidding, right? People's houses were destroyed. I had plenty of friends in law school who were living at home with their parents. If someone was due to start law school, and then the parents' house was destroyed, I can certainly understand deferring for a year while helping the parents move to a new house and rebuild their lives.

And the campus suffered some significant damage. I rode out the storm in Pearson. Mahoney was damaged, the Orovitz Building was damaged, there was damage to Memorial and some other buildings. There was a lot of work done to repair power lines, sewer lines, and the air conditioning circuit buried underground around the campus. And a LOT of trees had to be mulched to build Mulch Mountain near the University Center.

To their credit, UM did an amazing job of the initial recovery, in order to get classes started, but it took a long time for the housing situation to recover. Three years later, I moved into a house with one of my law school classmates. His parents had been renting the house while they waited on repairs to the house they owned. Took almost 3 years for the rebuild.

I was in Mahoney during Hurricane David in 1979.
The Dominican Republic got the Cat 4 treatment but we were ok (Cat 1/2).
The days leading up to Florida landfall was probably the only time I wished I was back in those jail cells called "the Towers".

you get a 4.33 for an A+, 4 for an A, 3.67 forA-, 3.33 for B+ and so on. Add in 1 point for honors and 2 points for AP/IB, and you end up with a lot of high GPA’s. I was a B+ student but my GPA was 5.1 because of the AP bump. And I wasn’t even top 10 in my class.

you get a 4.33 for an A+, 4 for an A, 3.67 forA-, 3.33 for B+ and so on. Add in 1 point for honors and 2 points for AP/IB, and you end up with a lot of high GPA’s. I was a B+ student but my GPA was 5.1 because of the AP bump. And I wasn’t even top 10 in my class.

Good lord, that's some grade inflation. I graduated #2 in my class with a 4.1, one of my best friends took one more AP class than I did (PASCAL computer programming language class) and so he was the valedictorian. Our entire Top 10 had higher than 4.0 GPAs.

Advertisement

when i graduated hs in 06, it was 4.0 for a reg class, 5.0 for honors, and 6.0 for AP in miami dade. thats why the weighted GPAs were always higher (top 11-15%) were still in the 5.0s weighted. colleges cared more about your unweighted though and took into account whether you took APs or Honors classes (IB as well).

Did Hill's daughter just graduate HS? If they waited this long to make a decision they missed out on a lot of the early opportunities. Maybe they waited this long to see if UM would improve their offer though. Probably a lot to the story

He landed at Iowa Western CC JUCO (close to me). They've had a good spring season and put a decent amount of kids into D1 programs. 6-1 record so far.

1621357177686.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back