Rooster Highlights 2021

Advertisement
I was going to say I don't understand highlights that feature every 5 yd run of the season. Then I saw a 6 yd run on 3rd and 17, and I really don't get that.

To be clear, I'm not bashing the kid at all, I'm questioning what the person putting the vid together was thinking. I'm just saying that "highlight" generally means exceptional plays. Some of those shorter gains illustrate something like shiftiness or toughness, but a lot of them were just regular runs.

he could be our dalvin cook, he has that type of ability ... the cut against unc was pro level
I'm real happy with him and very impressed with his toughness after being asked to carry the load for so much of the season, but no. I hate the noles and cook and everyone else who ever played for them, went to that school, or wore a "garnet" t-shirt one time. But cook was on another level. That combination of size and speed doesn't come along often, the Rooster doesn't have it. If we look back and miss him for as long as fsu has missed cook, we've f*cked up recruiting biggly. Very biggly.

100%. I've felt like Knighton's ceiling is between Homer & Duke. But from what I've seen on the field, he's not there yet. Homer was better at this point.

Here's a Homer vs Knighton comparison of their rushing stats from their Sophomore years vs P5 teams.

View attachment 171908

Statistically - it's not close. I know this sounds crazy - but Charlie Jones had more explosive runs his Sophomore season than Knighton did. It's weird.

The scheme can possibly help - but Knighton needs to make some adjustments to his style. The looking for contact is a great a point, because Knighton does that way too much, especially for a 190lb RB. He's recklessly crashing into the defense A LOT - he needs to use the space he's been given more often.

In the receiving game Knighton is a terror though. He can be a nightmare matchup for defenses in the passing game.
We did a terrible job running the ball this year, and that's more to do with the OL than Knighton. Where he look really impressive was catching the ball.

In fairness to Knighton, the more comfortable he got as the season went on..the more he started to show what he can do. I wont judge him off last year. But this year I am expecting the quantum leap. I want to see the Knighton we saw his Jr year at Deerfield that made him a primetime RB.

I have a little different take - I think Knighton burnt out as the season went on. Not really his fault - injuries forced him into a workhorse #1 role when he's probably better as a change of pace #2 type guy.

His 32 carries against GT was the most carries in a game by a Cane RB since Willis McGahee. That's too much. After GT, he flamed out against FSU, VT (#91 Run Defense) and Duke (#116 Run Defense).

I respect his physical style - but he doesn't have the frame to make that style effective. He takes on too much contact as he inflicts too much punishment on himself. He has to start avoiding tackles more often instead of trying to run through them so much.

1642006512394.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
We did a terrible job running the ball this year, and that's more to do with the OL than Knighton. Where he look really impressive was catching the ball.

The OL needs work, but takes too much heat.

Cam averaged a full yard more per carry behind the same OL.

Both have their faults. Cam bounced outside for a big run too much, and didn't run physical enough. Knighton runs too physical and doesn't look to bounce enough. Knighton is killing it in the passing game, but he's had the least amount of explosive runs for a Miami RB in the last 25 years (seriously).

Vs P5 the last 2 years

1642008550091.png

Advertisement
You can't Judge either he or Harris with the no-run blocking OL Miami's had during the entire time they've been here. They got a little better pass blocking because of a quick release and pocket presence, but no push, never.

Good news is from the hires thus far, a new focus on winning football (O-line play) both backs will absolutely benefit with better coaching.

I want to see the next OC use him in the pass game a bit more

The injury to Cheany tied Lashlees hands a bit. I’m sure he didn’t want to use him the way he did but no one else was stepping up

With the way TVD can stretch the field using him out of the backfield with the TEs in the mix gives us a lot of options on O

The OL needs work, but takes too much heat.

Cam averaged a full yard more per carry behind the same OL.

Both have their faults. Cam bounced outside for a big run too much, and didn't run physical enough. Knighton runs too physical and doesn't look to bounce enough. Knighton is killing it in the passing game, but he's had the least amount of explosive runs for a Miami RB in the last 25 years (seriously).

Vs P5 the last 2 years

View attachment 171922
f*ck.

Advertisement
Hopefully part of an amazing 1-2 punch with Chaney next year! Keep Rooster fresh and to explode in the passing game!

I don’t think Cook is that much faster or even faster at all their speed is comparable. Cook is the better because he is bigger and built like a rb naturally while being as quick and fast, he also picks up his feet when he runs, which allows him to not be tackled by shoes string tackles like Knighton does.

I have a little different take - I think Knighton burnt out as the season went on. Not really his fault - injuries forced him into a workhorse #1 role when he's probably better as a change of pace #2 type guy.

His 32 carries against GT was the most carries in a game by a Cane RB since Willis McGahee. That's too much. After GT, he flamed out against FSU, VT (#91 Run Defense) and Duke (#116 Run Defense).

I respect his physical style - but he doesn't have the frame to make that style effective. He takes on too much contact as he inflicts too much punishment on himself. He has to start avoiding tackles more often instead of trying to run through them so much.

View attachment 171914
Agreed, Knighton can get better he is gonna have to play to his strengths and stop trying to run people over, this might mean he needs to alter his running style a little bit. Also needs to pick up his feet more and add more moves to his ****nal. There’s plenty of room for him to get better I don’t think he’s reach his ceiling at all.

Advertisement
Coming out of high school I thought Rooster looked like a faster Mark Walton. After seeing him in action at the college level, I think he is actually closer to a faster Graig Cooper (who’s career here is under appreciated). He had 3 straight seasons of 600+ yards rushing and was at his best as a complimentary back while getting touches on special teams and catching passes out of the backfield. Hoping for Rooster-Chaney-Thad to be a better version of Cooper-James-Berry in ‘09.

Coming out of high school I thought Rooster looked like a faster Mark Walton. After seeing him in action at the college level, I think he is actually closer to a faster Graig Cooper (who’s career here is under appreciated). He had 3 straight seasons of 600+ yards rushing and was at his best as a complimentary back while getting touches on special teams and catching passes out of the backfield. Hoping for Rooster-Chaney-Thad to be a better version of Cooper-James-Berry in ‘09.
Knighton has 188 carries vs P5 teams. So far, he's been much more Walton than Cooper (I can't break down Coopers exact 188 carries).

Knighton hasn't been pretty, but watching Walton vs P5 was like dropping a bowling ball on your sac over and over in a continuous time loop.

Walton didn't get a 30+ yd until his 189th carry vs P5. He's the only Cane RB to not have a 30+ yd run in his first 100 carries. Walton was kind of a clown show.

1642027403626.png

Last edited:
Knighton has 188 carries vs P5 teams. So far, he's been much more Walton than Cooper (I can't break down Coopers exact 188 carries).

Knighton hasn't been pretty, but watching Walton vs P5 was like dropping a bowling ball on your sac over and over in a continuous time loop.

Walton didn't get a 30+ yd until his 189th carry vs P5. He's the only Cane RB to not have a 30+ yd run in his first 100 carries. Walton was kind of a clown show.

View attachment 171975

What I meant by my post is that in terms of running style he most closely resembles Cooper, much more so than other backs I've seen mentioned (Dalvin Cook, Duke Johnson, etc.) I don't think he is ever going to rush for 1600 + yards in a season like they did, nor do I ever want to see him getting 30+ carries in a game again. I think he's best used as a complementary piece, not a bell-cow.

His rushing average is definitely not pretty, and I didn't realize just how low Walton's was in his first 188 carries. I actually liked Mark Walton the football player (before he.. you know...went crazy). To his defense, I do remember several long runs of his getting called back his Freshman year, and his best stretch of running the ball came vs. P5 competition came late his Sophomore year (3 game stretch again Pitt, Virginia and NC State had 49 carries, 356 yds, 7.3 AVG and 5 TDs). He wasn't Lamar Miller or Duke Johnson, but he was more explosive than Yearby IMO.

Anyway, hoping to see Knighton breaking off more long runs and catches next year with some fresh legs while getting helped by Chaney and Thad.

Advertisement
Back