Rooster Highlights 2021

Advertisement
What I meant by my post is that in terms of running style he most closely resembles Cooper, much more so than other backs I've seen mentioned (Dalvin Cook, Duke Johnson, etc.) I don't think he is ever going to rush for 1600 + yards in a season like they did, nor do I ever want to see him getting 30+ carries in a game again. I think he's best used as a complementary piece, not a bell-cow.

His rushing average is definitely not pretty, and I didn't realize just how low Walton's was in his first 188 carries. I actually liked Mark Walton the football player (before he.. you know...went crazy). To his defense, I do remember several long runs of his getting called back his Freshman year, and his best stretch of running the ball came vs. P5 competition came late his Sophomore year (3 game stretch again Pitt, Virginia and NC State had 49 carries, 356 yds, 7.3 AVG and 5 TDs). He wasn't Lamar Miller or Duke Johnson, but he was more explosive than Yearby IMO.

Anyway, hoping to see Knighton breaking off more long runs and catches next year with some fresh legs while getting helped by Chaney and Thad.
I agree - Knighton is way more like Cooper than he is Duke/Cook.

Walton had 8 30+ runs in his career (2 vs P5) and Yearby had 7 (4 vs P5). Walton being remembered as the more explosive player is by far the popular opinion. I'm in the minority in thinking there wasn't much difference between the two. Statistically they've very similar. I actually preferred Yearby, but it's splitting hairs.

I think Rooster/Chaney/Thad should be an open competition for the starting job. I'm interested in seeing how it shakes out.

What I meant by my post is that in terms of running style he most closely resembles Cooper, much more so than other backs I've seen mentioned (Dalvin Cook, Duke Johnson, etc.) I don't think he is ever going to rush for 1600 + yards in a season like they did, nor do I ever want to see him getting 30+ carries in a game again. I think he's best used as a complementary piece, not a bell-cow.

His rushing average is definitely not pretty, and I didn't realize just how low Walton's was in his first 188 carries. I actually liked Mark Walton the football player (before he.. you know...went crazy). To his defense, I do remember several long runs of his getting called back his Freshman year, and his best stretch of running the ball came vs. P5 competition came late his Sophomore year (3 game stretch again Pitt, Virginia and NC State had 49 carries, 356 yds, 7.3 AVG and 5 TDs). He wasn't Lamar Miller or Duke Johnson, but he was more explosive than Yearby IMO.

Anyway, hoping to see Knighton breaking off more long runs and catches next year with some fresh legs while getting helped by Chaney and Thad.
This past season at least, Knighton's low numbers aren't totally his fault. I still blame the OL to a degree, but the bigger issue was asking him to run in the wrong situations. Couldn't be helped, but it makes his numbers look pretty bad. Like you said, I'm hoping with the other guys around him he can flourish next season.

Cant wait to see him with another year of S&C work. Seems like he just got here so its crazy to think he is going into his Jr year and this might be his last year here. lol. A healthy Chaney and Knighton is about as lethal as you can get.
Brother if Chaney is able to come back healthy then look out! The thing is I'm not sure how long it will take him to completely heal.

I agree - Knighton is way more like Cooper than he is Duke/Cook.

Walton had 8 30+ runs in his career (2 vs P5) and Yearby had 7 (4 vs P5). Walton being remembered as the more explosive player is by far the popular opinion. I'm in the minority in thinking there wasn't much difference between the two. Statistically they've very similar. I actually preferred Yearby, but it's splitting hairs.

I think Rooster/Chaney/Thad should be an open competition for the starting job. I'm interested in seeing how it shakes out.
Assuming for now that all 3 will be healthy I don't really see it as a competition to be the "starter". Rooster should play a lot regardless of what happens in camp. Same with Chaney if healthy. I think what we could have is a stable of backs who all bring a different type of skill set and all of them should be used.

I will say that in terms of the traditional "starting RB" that a healthy Chaney is most definitely that guy. Chaney gives you the strength, physicality and explosion between the tackles that we haven't seen for a while in Miami while also possessing the speed, vision and cutting ability. A healthy Chaney is the clear cut No1.

Rooster is the more versatile and electric all purpose back who has the speed to turn the corner combined with the ability to make defenders miss in space. Knighton can line up anywhere and hurt defenses in multiple ways. He is dangerous as a pass catcher out of the backfield on screens, swing passes, wheel routes and check downs(see FSU).

Thad Franklin is a tank at 6' 240 lbs who may be the most natural runner of all of them. The exciting thing about Franklin is that he is just scratching the surface of his enormous potential. He is a load to tackle and his size and strength allow him to rip through arm tackles. He is more fluid and athletic than he looks and is surprisingly effective catching passes out of the backfield. Franklin does a good job of pressing the hole and is a one cut and go RB. Shows good quickness for his size but doesn't posses much in the wiggle department and won't make defenders miss preferring instead to dish out punishment. Has average straight line speed but that isn't his game.

Give me Mark Fletcher or Richard Young in the 2023 class and we're good. Very good.

Advertisement
No one stands to benefit more from the improved oline play under Cristobal/Mirabal than Rooster you give him and inch he is gonna take a F’n mile

I don’t think Cook is that much faster or even faster at all their speed is comparable. Cook is the better because he is bigger and built like a rb naturally while being as quick and fast, he also picks up his feet when he runs, which allows him to not be tackled by shoes string tackles like Knighton does.
Cook speed is either faster or looks faster cause his first step is top gear while that's an elite RB trait Knighton doesn't have that. Your just born with that and Cook was

As much as lashlee did amazing with his passing concepts his run designs were terrible.

Hopefully the next oc has a better run game than inside zoning out apb every run play.

Assuming for now that all 3 will be healthy I don't really see it as a competition to be the "starter". Rooster should play a lot regardless of what happens in camp. Same with Chaney if healthy. I think what we could have is a stable of backs who all bring a different type of skill set and all of them should be used.

I will say that in terms of the traditional "starting RB" that a healthy Chaney is most definitely that guy. Chaney gives you the strength, physicality and explosion between the tackles that we haven't seen for a while in Miami while also possessing the speed, vision and cutting ability. A healthy Chaney is the clear cut No1.

Rooster is the more versatile and electric all purpose back who has the speed to turn the corner combined with the ability to make defenders miss in space. Knighton can line up anywhere and hurt defenses in multiple ways. He is dangerous as a pass catcher out of the backfield on screens, swing passes, wheel routes and check downs(see FSU).

Thad Franklin is a tank at 6' 240 lbs who may be the most natural runner of all of them. The exciting thing about Franklin is that he is just scratching the surface of his enormous potential. He is a load to tackle and his size and strength allow him to rip through arm tackles. He is more fluid and athletic than he looks and is surprisingly effective catching passes out of the backfield. Franklin does a good job of pressing the hole and is a one cut and go RB. Shows good quickness for his size but doesn't posses much in the wiggle department and won't make defenders miss preferring instead to dish out punishment. Has average straight line speed but that isn't his game.

Give me Mark Fletcher or Richard Young in the 2023 class and we're good. Very good.
Totally agree on Chaney - I think he's the most talented and has the best full package of traits you want in a RB that we have. Really hope he makes a 100% recovery.

For Knighton/Thad - I actually see their styles reversed, and it doesn't make sense because their styles don't match their body types.

Knighton is more the one-cut, look for contact type runner. If you rewatch his highlights, he makes one cut then runs full steam ahead. He's trying to run through defenders after his first cut more than he is trying to avoid them. His body type says shifty, but his style is more straight forward physical.

Thad is more a big man with great feet. He still has very few carries, so I'd like to see more, but I think people are going to find he's much more in the avoid and slide off tacklers than he is run over people type (I'd like to see Knighton be more like this). Thad is kind of similar to how Gus Edwards was. The body type says physical punisher, but his style is more trying to make defenders miss. Speed is probably his biggest drawback.

Lots of talent with potential - hopefully it all starts coming together this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cook speed is either faster or looks faster cause his first step is top gear while that's an elite RB trait Knighton doesn't have that. Your just born with that and Cook was

Agreed, Cook is made to play RB. He gets passed the defense so quickly and is a threat to house it every time he touches the ball.

At the college level recently I think maybe Etienne and Jonathan Taylor are others I can think of that threatened defenses like that. Not a knock on Knighton I think he's really good, but these dudes were multi-year All-Americans. It's a very rare trait.

Advertisement
Back