Rondalle Moore opts out

Plenty of people on the left and right have taken issue with how much college coaches get paid, so I don’t know where you’re getting that from.

And comparing them to tenured professors is ridiculous.

They are actually LESS valuable than tenured professors. So, they would still be overpaid.

Advertisement
I made significantly more than 1600 bucks a month using my talent, and my talent isn't nearly as valuable as what guys like GR15 can do. Again, they are stuck in a system in which overpaid idiots like Dabo are paid 10 million plus, and given the world, while the people most responsible for the product are treated like cogs in a machine. No, if capitalism is good for people like Dabo, who can force raises by merely alluding to other jobs, then student-athletes should be able to participate too.
The problem is thinking that Dabo doesn't get fair market value . . . he does. And so should student-athletes . . .

Advertisement
Those non revenue sport athletes, most of whom are upper middle class white kids are the prime beneficiaries of the current system. It shouldn't fall to mostly working class black men to pay for Karen and Chad, so they can play their country club sports. If a sport can't afford to support itself, then it needs to be a club sport and the athletes need to pay for their crap. No one watches rowing, it's not on GR15 or someone like Lonnie Walker to sacrifice their earnings and economic freedom so those kids can live the life of a varsity athlete.

It's amazing how people don't have anything to say when Dabo gets his bloated check, but when the players, the people that are risking their lives and their health to play ask that they are allowed to participate in the capitalist system, that's an issue. I've called people bootlickers before, and the term is more than apt. If the actual talent can't participate in capitalism, then people like Dabo shouldn't be able to either. The typical college football coach shouldn't be paid one cent more than a tenured professor. It's about education, right?
Exactly.

It’s time to trim the fat. If Title IX is gonna potentially turn CFB into the CBB model (1 and done), then unfortunately the women’s bowling team has to go.

The B1G commissioner makes $20m/year. Give the NIL rights so the GR15s of the world stay in college and protect the system. Give $12/hr to all athletes for the hours they work. That way the 3rd string guy that’ll never go pro, but busts his *** at practice every day in the August Miami heat, at least has some pocket money to take a girl on a date.

But the B1G commish would have to take a pay cut down to $17M/per, so I guess that is an issue.

I made significantly more than 1600 bucks a month using my talent, and my talent isn't nearly as valuable as what guys like GR15 can do. Again, they are stuck in a system in which overpaid idiots like Dabo are paid 10 million plus, and given the world, while the people most responsible for the product are treated like cogs in a machine. No, if capitalism is good for people like Dabo, who can force raises by merely alluding to other jobs, then student-athletes should be able to participate too.
But were you also making enough money to cover full tuition, tutors, room and board, meals, and fitness training? I'd love to know what part time job you had that paid > $90k/yr.

For every Rousseau, there are 10 other guys who won't be cashing in. Since your argument seems to be based on envy of Dabo's salary, what about those others. You seem very concerned that Greg Rousseau isn't cashing in, but how much concern do you have for Ryan Rizk?

Exactly.

It’s time to trim the fat. If Title IX is gonna potentially turn CFB into the CBB model (1 and done), then unfortunately the women’s bowling team has to go.

The B1G commissioner makes $20m/year. Give the NIL rights so the GR15s of the world stay in college and protect the system. Give $12/hr to all athletes for the hours they work. That way the 3rd string guy that’ll never go pro, but busts his *** at practice every day in the August Miami heat, at least has some pocket money to take a girl on a date.

But the B1G commish would have to take a pay cut down to $17M/per, so I guess that is an issue.
Agreed except the B1G commish has to get fair market value . . .

I’m always in agreement that college athletes should be able to profit off their abilities.

When that happens, people will have to accept the pitfalls that come with that. It will undoubtedly lead to even more inequality than what we have now.

And in disagreement with someone’s statements, the third string long snapper doesn’t deserve carrying around money from the school if he’s still getting all the benefits of an athletic scholarship because he wouldn’t be fairing better on the open market. He should however be able to pick up a job if he wants.

Advertisement
****, this is such a straw man argument.
It's a macro view. On the one hand, people complain about income inequality, and on the other they lament a system that's currently doing exactly that. It's not even remotely possible that all players will see an increase absent collective bargaining.

Agreed except the B1G commish has to get fair market value . . .
But our practice squad guys don’t give the team any value? Isn’t that where GR15 dominated during his redshirt year, which led to all the hype coming into last year?

I see your posts on the Covid board. You have an agenda. I don’t like you. Normally I’d just block you. But the bars are closed, I’ve watched everything on Netflix, and that means I have nothing better to do than argue with trolls on message boards. So here we are.

But our practice squad guys don’t give the team any value? Isn’t that where GR15 dominated during his redshirt year, which led to all the hype coming into last year?

I see your posts on the Covid board. You have an agenda. I don’t like you. Normally I’d just block you. But the bars are closed, I’ve watched everything on Netflix, and that means I have nothing better to do than argue with trolls on message boards. So here we are.
I'll save you the trouble . . .

It's not an excuse. It's simply a matter of benefit to risk ratio. The benefit is much lower for young men that that will be drafted high.

No matter how we wish they would play another year for our teams, these young men are making decisions that they believe are in the best interest for their future.

And I’m not disagreeing with you. But they are choosing this option and using to illness to mask them looking out for #1.

I’m torn on it because it’s happening just a few days before practice. It’s totally different than leaving early for the draft. But I get why they are doing it and it makes sense for them. Just don’t pretend for a second they are more or less worried about the virus than other players.

Advertisement
It's a macro view. On the one hand, people complain about income inequality, and on the other they lament a system that's currently doing exactly that. It's not even remotely possible that all players will see an increase absent collective bargaining.
I don’t think that lament isn’t the word you’re looking for there. But I’ll play along

On one hand, people champion free markets and capitalism, on the the other the other hand they champion a system that doesn’t allow for the laborers to partake in it.

The more nuanced critique is that people are aware that there will be disparities in pay. The problem is that the laborers aren’t being denied the right to participate in the market and let the market determine what their value is.

I don’t think that lament isn’t the word you’re looking for there. But I’ll play along

On one hand, people champion free markets and capitalism, on the the other the other hand they champion a system that doesn’t allow for the laborers to partake in it.

The more nuanced critique is that people are aware that there will be disparities in pay. The problem is that the laborers aren’t being denied the right to participate in the market and let the market determine what their value is.
This would make more sense if the players were forced to play college football.

You can’t blame what’s happening in the college ranks on capitalism since capitalism allows them to do whatever they want. If they dont like the college system. They can create a separate league. If they can’t/don’t want to take on that financial risk, find someone to back you, but realize they’ll take a piece of the pie cuz of the risk they’re incurring.

If you’re the product of a system, you don’t get the advantages of capitalism cuz you’re not taking the same risk (financially that is). Just like employees don’t call the shots at work, the owner does.

And I’m not disagreeing with you. But they are choosing this option and using to illness to mask them looking out for #1.

I’m torn on it because it’s happening just a few days before practice. It’s totally different than leaving early for the draft. But I get why they are doing it and it makes sense for them. Just don’t pretend for a second they are more or less worried about the virus than other players.
I don’t think “more or less worried than other players” is the correct argument. I think the post you quoted had it correct - that it is a risk/reward issue.

The 3rd string guys aren’t looking at guaranteed millions. GR15 is. So if he just happens to have an underlying illness that he is unaware of, he might lose himself tens of millions. And the covid insurance argument is nonsense.

Add in that his mother is a Covid nurse, and there you have it. The risk of playing does not outweigh the reward.

Advertisement
I don’t think “more or less worried than other players” is the correct argument. I think the post you quoted had it correct - that it is a risk/reward issue.

The 3rd string guys aren’t looking at guaranteed millions. GR15 is. So if he just happens to have an underlying illness that he is unaware of, he might lose himself tens of millions. And the covid insurance argument is nonsense.

Add in that his mother is a Covid nurse, and there you have it. The risk of playing does not outweigh the reward.
Exactly especially when you factor in the normal risk for injury, all for not getting paid.

I mean lament as in expressing dissatisfaction.

This is one of those issues with absolutes. I don't know anyone who champions unfettered free market capitalism. That gives you robber barons and oligarchs.

We are again discussing a very small percentage of players. How many times will Connor Byrne get paid for a grocery store ribbon cutting? When will Will Huggins get paid for signing autographs at a sports bar? If there really is a huge problem with them not getting paid, even though they get stipends, then let the NIL law cover that. But don't think Connor Byrne and Will Huggins aren't going to feel left out.

Maybe the answer is as @TheOriginalCane mentioned, extend insurance and housing to families and tie the stipend to a decent paying job and indexed to the CPI. The first question to be answered is are they all adequately compensated or is this just a desire to pay some players more?

Maryland has six players opt out because of their concerns about COVID-19, including QB Josh Jackson and O-linemen Johnny Jordan and Austin Fontaine. TE Chig Okonkwo is being held this season for medical reasons.

MD lost their starting QB

Since NFL labor agreements changed significantly a number of years ago, not much difference between late round 1 and round 2. No negotiation to be done---it's all a formula now. Basically the plan rewards existing players who stick, caps pay for rookies and flushes replaceable vets coming off their 4 year rookie agreements. The only way to ensure making true lifetime $ is to sign a second contract after the rookie deal.

Even though an early second rounder will make $5-8 million, which sounds like lifetime $, but half of which goes to taxes. If you aren't careful you can **** that away with newly discovered friends and long distant family.

Sadly, sitting out isn'from a straight $ perspective, esp if get to stay on scholarship and can earn your degree.t crazy

Advertisement
Back