Rondalle Moore opts out

Advertisement
I will explain it. My post was sarcasm. The only players opting out are players that are going high in next years draft. They are using this as an excuse to not have to play and not get knocked by NFL teams like if they had just sat out a year of college. That’s why no fresh, soph, or jags are announcing they are opting out because it’s not really about health.

that’s why I put “oh wait” at the bottom.
It's not an excuse. It's simply a matter of benefit to risk ratio. The benefit is much lower for young men that that will be drafted high.

No matter how we wish they would play another year for our teams, these young men are making decisions that they believe are in the best interest for their future.

I like how people will rail against income inequality then advocate for players to get paid at the expense of other athletes.

Kind of surprising. Bad team but didn’t he have a down year last year compared to his freshman year? Would have thought he would want to prove his first year wasn’t a fluke.
You could say the same about Rousseau. Evidently, that's not where their thinking is.

The system isn't making billions. There are no dates on these links, so the info may be old, but UM clears ~$200k from athletics and football has ~$5.3 million profit. That money gets put back into the overall athletics program. Do you not see the value of a college education, room and board, meals, fitness, and a stipend?

Did you pay for your education? Did you live on campus? Did you work while doing so?

I was on a scholarship, I was able to use the talent that got me that scholarship to make as much money on the side as I wanted. If I invented the next Facebook or whatever, I could collect my money and STILL be on said academic ride, provided I maintained my GPA. I was also PAID BY THE UNIVERSITY when I worked for the university. Student-athletes(A term that was invented to keep schools from being sued for worker's comp) are the ONLY people on campus that can't earn money from their talent, while everyone else around them in the athletic department makes bank. We are **** near robbing these young people, because the value of their scholarship is worth significantly less than what these young people would get on the open market.

Advertisement
I like how people will rail against income inequality then advocate for players to get paid at the expense of other athletes.
Those non revenue sport athletes, most of whom are upper middle class white kids are the prime beneficiaries of the current system. It shouldn't fall to mostly working class black men to pay for Karen and Chad, so they can play their country club sports. If a sport can't afford to support itself, then it needs to be a club sport and the athletes need to pay for their crap. No one watches rowing, it's not on GR15 or someone like Lonnie Walker to sacrifice their earnings and economic freedom so those kids can live the life of a varsity athlete.

It's amazing how people don't have anything to say when Dabo gets his bloated check, but when the players, the people that are risking their lives and their health to play ask that they are allowed to participate in the capitalist system, that's an issue. I've called people bootlickers before, and the term is more than apt. If the actual talent can't participate in capitalism, then people like Dabo shouldn't be able to either. The typical college football coach shouldn't be paid one cent more than a tenured professor. It's about education, right?

I was on a scholarship, I was able to use the talent that got me that scholarship to make as much money on the side as I wanted. If I invented the next Facebook or whatever, I could collect my money and STILL be on said academic ride, provided I maintained my GPA. I was also PAID BY THE UNIVERSITY when I worked for the university. Student-athletes(A term that was invented to keep schools from being sued for worker's comp) are the ONLY people on campus that can't earn money from their talent, while everyone else around them in the athletic department makes bank. We are **** near robbing these young people, because the value of their scholarship is worth significantly less than what these young people would get on the open market.

Won't the NIL legislation allow them to make money on the side? When you were on scholarship, did they pay room and board, provide meals customized for you by a dietitian? Did you have a personal trainer available at a gym just for people with your same talent? Did you also receive a stipend?

This article from two years ago says Washington students get up to $1600/month. That doesn't sound very exploited to me.

I will explain it. My post was sarcasm. The only players opting out are players that are going high in next years draft. They are using this as an excuse to not have to play and not get knocked by NFL teams like if they had just sat out a year of college. That’s why no fresh, soph, or jags are announcing they are opting out because it’s not really about health.

that’s why I put “oh wait” at the bottom.
Understood, though I doubt the Arizona QB, Vandy K, Illinois RB, New Mexco State DL etc. fit your general hypothesis as they probably don't have realistic pro futures to safeguard. As to this thread, I missed your sarcasm because Moore is a (redshirt) sophomore.

Those non revenue sport athletes, most of whom are upper middle class white kids are the prime beneficiaries of the current system. It shouldn't fall to mostly working class black men to pay for Karen and Chad, so they can play their country club sports. If a sport can't afford to support itself, then it needs to be a club sport and the athletes need to pay for their crap. No one watches rowing, it's not on GR15 or someone like Lonnie Walker to sacrifice their earnings and economic freedom so those kids can live the life of a varsity athlete.

It's amazing how people don't have anything to say when Dabo gets his bloated check, but when the players, the people that are risking their lives and their health to play ask that they are allowed to participate in the capitalist system, that's an issue. I've called people bootlickers before, and the term is more than apt. If the actual talent can't participate in capitalism, then people like Dabo shouldn't be able to either. The typical college football coach shouldn't be paid one cent more than a tenured professor. It's about education, right?
Do you feel the same way about the homeless and the poor?

I have no problem with the NCAA or a conference capping coaches salaries. I understand the desire to win, but it's hard to say you're working in the students' best interests when you're bringing in enough money to fund dozens of scholarships. That's one thing that makes Richt's $1 million donation that much more admirable.

Advertisement
Yeah . . . this is all on the back of the working class parents of college athletes

I have no problem with the NCAA or a conference capping coaches salaries. I understand the desire to win, but it's hard to say you're working in the students' best interests when you're bringing in enough money to fund dozens of scholarships. That's one thing that makes Richt's $1 million donation that much more admirable.
I sure have a problem with it . . . I don't like Marxism . . .

I have no problem with the NCAA or a conference capping coaches salaries. I understand the desire to win, but it's hard to say you're working in the students' best interests when you're bringing in enough money to fund dozens of scholarships. That's one thing that makes Richt's $1 million donation that much more admirable.I fee
Running out of steam, now aren't we?

There is a fundamental difference between us telling someone with a unique talent that they can't financially benefit from it while everyone else does, and having a society in which billionaires and trillionaires exist, but a working person is one random disease away from homelessness. Frankly, we've failed both student-athletes and the homeless. We are denying these kids the chance to build wealth on their own talents, while everyone else does. Why? Why can't they participate in the same economic system that EVERYONE ELSE AROUND THEM does? The AD can bail, the coaches can all bail, the support staff can bail for greener pastures, but the athlete is locked in for at least 3 years. Never mind the fact that these athletic departments are having to throw money around and at stupid crap, just so they can appear to be nonprofit. Think about that.

I sure have a problem with it . . . I don't like Marxism . . .
Nor do I, but I doubt that a salary cap that would reduce the disparity between the biggest programs and the smallest is really Marxism. They'd still be making millions.

Advertisement

There is a fundamental difference between us telling someone with a unique talent that they can't financially benefit from it while everyone else does, and having a society in which billionaires and trillionaires exist, but a working person is one random disease away from homelessness. Frankly, we've failed both student-athletes and the homeless. We are denying these kids the chance to build wealth on their own talents, while everyone else does. Why? Why can't they participate in the same economic system that EVERYONE ELSE AROUND THEM does? The AD can bail, the coaches can all bail, the support staff can bail for greener pastures, but the athlete is locked in for at least 3 years. Never mind the fact that these athletic departments are having to throw money around and at stupid crap, just so they can appear to be nonprofit. Think about that.
Again, full tuition, tutors, room and board, meals, fitness training, and a stipend that's more than a lot of retirees Social Security checks is financially benefiting. Adding in the NIL legislation will give them even more.

Athletes can transfer whenever they like.

Nor do I, but I doubt that a salary cap that would reduce the disparity between the biggest programs and the smallest is really Marxism. They'd still be making millions.
It's absolutely anti-capitalism and that's what's wrong with the college system - govt (NCAA) controls and regulations create a mixed economy and ***** it all up . . .

Agreed . . . but when are you planning on telling them that they have to give most of that money up because of income inquity . . ?

Advertisement
Agreed . . . but when are you planning on telling them that they have to give most of that money up because of income inquity . . ?
Something is better than 100% of nothing. Frankly, the fact that these young men could be making an actual salary and going to school isn't a bad deal. Then again, it's amazing how people love to play the "You're going to have to give up money" game when it comes to other people's salaries. You know full well if these guys were able to have agents and whatnot at the college level, the intelligent ones would know to get involved with the same tax avoidance strategies that their coaches and AD participate in.

Plenty of people on the left and right have taken issue with how much college coaches get paid, so I don’t know where you’re getting that from.

And comparing them to tenured professors is ridiculous.

Something is better than 100% of nothing. Frankly, the fact that these young men could be making an actual salary and going to school isn't a bad deal. Then again, it's amazing how people love to play the "You're going to have to give up money" game when it comes to other people's salaries. You know full well if these guys were able to have agents and whatnot at the college level, the intelligent ones would know to get involved with the same tax avoidance strategies that their coaches and AD participate in.
Agree, again . . . but let's discuss what happens when the rest of the players want their cut . . . just because . . .

Again, full tuition, tutors, room and board, meals, fitness training, and a stipend that's more than a lot of retirees Social Security checks is financially benefiting. Adding in the NIL legislation will give them even more.

Athletes can transfer whenever they like.
I made significantly more than 1600 bucks a month using my talent, and my talent isn't nearly as valuable as what guys like GR15 can do. Again, they are stuck in a system in which overpaid idiots like Dabo are paid 10 million plus, and given the world, while the people most responsible for the product are treated like cogs in a machine. No, if capitalism is good for people like Dabo, who can force raises by merely alluding to other jobs, then student-athletes should be able to participate too.

Advertisement
Back