Rondalle Moore opts out

Maryland has six players opt out because of their concerns about COVID-19, including QB Josh Jackson and O-linemen Johnny Jordan and Austin Fontaine. TE Chig Okonkwo is being held this season for medical reasons.

MD lost their starting QB
It’s just starting

Advertisement
This would make more sense if the players were forced to play college football.

You can’t blame what’s happening in the college ranks on capitalism since capitalism allows them to do whatever they want. If they dont like the college system. They can create a separate league. If they can’t/don’t want to take on that financial risk, find someone to back you, but realize they’ll take a piece of the pie cuz of the risk they’re incurring.

If you’re the product of a system, you don’t get the advantages of capitalism cuz you’re not taking the same risk (financially that is). Just like employees don’t call the shots at work, the owner does.
So you can only complain if you’re forced to play? That’s not how it works. With that logic, the players would never be getting the NIL in place next year.

So you're a fan of young men being exploited by a system that makes billions off of their talent while the players get peanuts? You rather continue to watch these young men be used by the system as long as it caters to your entertainment needs? Man, miss me with that bull****. Go get paid, Randalle. Go get paid, Greg. Go get paid, Micah.
These exploited young men are afforded an opportunity to make generational wealth in 3-4 yrs, or other doors are opened b/c of the name on the back of their jersey.

Look, the system needs some correction to care for medical needs, and their room & board sucks. All of which can be adjusted for sure; but let’s not act like they some helpless victims that are being taken advantage of. I got mucho homies that once upon a time that used to be in the NFL, some as NFL practice squad players that took care of their fams and are still eating. Side money they made & everything.

So let’s stop toting the “shuck & jive” narrative. On avg; college football brings in roughly $32m/yr. That’s about $355k/player. Avg. college tuition is $122k over 4yrs. That football revenue is also used for other nonprofitable sports. COVID-19 clearly shows how ADs work, b/c these programs have folded due to non sustainability of finances.

Clean up the medical, afford these young men better room & board, and playing insurance, and yes, they deserve to get broke off if they are attending events, or their jerseys are being signed, and if video games are made & their likeness is used, they should get paid, but let’s not act like college sports aint giving them opportunities many of us would kill for, both financially & academically.

So you can only complain if you’re forced to play? That’s not how it works. With that logic, the players would never be getting the NIL in place next year.
Anyone can complain as much as they want. Just don’t expect drastic change unless you’re in charge of decision making.

Everyone looks at the physical risk that these kids take. That perspective is completely warranted, and the kids should be protected in case that happens. We also have to consider the financial risks institutions take in order to have football programs. It looks great when you see the huge tv numbers and dollar signs, but when something like COVID happens and schools start falling apart, you see the big financial risks.

All that being said, I’m not one to say student athletes shouldn’t be entitled to compensation, but it’s not the millions some believe.

An amateur league or a developmental system similar to European soccer is what we really should strive for if we want a fairer shake for everyone

Anyone can complain as much as they want. Just don’t expect drastic change unless you’re in charge of decision making.

Everyone looks at the physical risk that these kids take. That perspective is completely warranted, and the kids should be protected in case that happens. We also have to consider the financial risks institutions take in order to have football programs. It looks great when you see the huge tv numbers and dollar signs, but when something like COVID happens and schools start falling apart, you see the big financial risks.

All that being said, I’m not one to say student athletes shouldn’t be entitled to compensation, but it’s not the millions some believe.

An amateur league or a developmental system similar to European soccer is what we really should strive for if we want a fairer shake for everyone
20 years ago a likeness rule was considered a drastic change. Times change.

The financial risks have a lot to do with exorbitant spending and poorly operated athletic departments. It's not just about the big financial risks.

Advertisement
20 years ago a likeness rule was considered a drastic change. Times change.

The financial risks have a lot to do with exorbitant spending and poorly operated athletic departments. It's not just about the big financial risks.
Yes, and it took awhile to get that change. It’s great that it happened, but it wasn’t overnight. Gradual change is necessary and great. Sudden, drastic change is much more difficult and unrealistic

Don’t disagree with your 2nd statement. Irresponsible spending has made their problems drastically worse. That’s where a private enterprise would be a better system for amateur sports.

And I’m not disagreeing with you. But they are choosing this option and using to illness to mask them looking out for #1.

I’m torn on it because it’s happening just a few days before practice. It’s totally different than leaving early for the draft. But I get why they are doing it and it makes sense for them. Just don’t pretend for a second they are more or less worried about the virus than other players.
Doing what they believe is in their best interest and "looking out for #1" is the same thing.

Secondly their's no pretending anything nor did I allege there was. You just making **** up I never said. I couldn't have been more clearer when I said their benefit to risk ratio is lower since they'll be drafted high. That is the reason most are sitting out. If Greg was projected to be a 3-7 round draft pick he'd more than likely be playing. Since he's a projected 1st rounder and potential top 10 pick, he has a low benefit to risk ratio if he played this season.

I do think he risks not being a top 10 pick because he doesn't even have a full season of film, but that's his call to make.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back