Ron Burton should be considered as Miami's next Dline Coach

Advertisement
Ya! we should keep the defensive staff exactly as it is since we beat up on a bunch of turnstiles.

amazing how one game has made everybody forget 4 losses.
Not being short sided but the best is a head of us just look at the oline progress for example.

Lets wait and see how the next few games go but I'm not just going by 1 or 2 games over a whole season body of work.

Godzilla(Greg Rousseau) is picking up LTs with one hand while grabbing QB'S with the other and flinging them around.
I haven't seen anybody doing that consistently since Ted Hendricks.

You could block Hendricks, he'd absorb the block with one hand and still reach out half a mile to make the play with the other hand.

Those who never saw him in college have no idea what kind of defensive player Ted Hendricks was.

After their senior season, O.J. Simpson was on a national TV show, maybe it was The Late Show (before Johnny Carson.) They had a Q&A with the studio audience. Somebody asked Simpson who the "hardest-hitting player" was that Simpson faced. Simpson said the hardest-hitting was Kevin Hardy a DL from Notre Dame. Then Simpson went on to volunteer that "the best was a guy by the name of Ted Hendricks down at the University of Miami." (He said it that way because everyone knew who Kevin Hardy and Notre Dame were, Hendricks and UM were not that well known.)

Simpson then said that Hendricks was a guy who never stayed blocked..just could not block him, would always make the play.

Yesterday, I started to see the second-coming of Ted Hendricks. Never saw it with any of our other tall lengthy DEs, not even Calais Campbell.

Rousseau is so Hendricks-like.

Advertisement
With Mark D'Antonio most likely retiring at MSU at the end of the 2019 season, Miami should make a run at Dline Coach Ron Burton he is one of the best in the business.

Which allow Coach Stroud to fade into his originally intended role as an off the field football operations position.

Coach Burton coaches an attacking front, is an excellent talent Evaluator and will pimp slap Baker if calls some bull **** defensive front. He annually puts players in the NFL.

Both baker and coach Diaz could benefit from Coach Burton's experience. Burton currently makes $426k so offer him $450k (Florida has no state income tax and lower property taxes so that's worth roughly an additional 8% back in his pocket)

Go Canes

I love a dline coach who needs a oh crap Assistant to prevent him from choking a dumb bad reporter. Notice the assistant behind coach Burton.

Everyone has an opinion. This is not even realistic though, Burton would not take the UM job. As a matter of fact he's a UNC alum and was even a grad assistant under Mack Brown years ago. If he was looking, and Mack was looking, that's probably going to be where he goes. Otherwise I wouldn't expect him to even sniff South Florida

These coaching-candidate hires are fun food for thought, but they don’t really matter. HCs rarely hire people they haven’t worked with before or at least know very well. He’s been a Great Lakes area coach since the early 90s so I doubt he and Diaz have any sort of relationship.

9 sacks 17 tackles for loss today. What's a bull**** defensive front?
People like to complain about the Viper position like it’s something new Baker brought to Miami. Joe Jackson was in that exact same role last year. The role got extended this year is the only difference.

Everyone has an opinion. This is not even realistic though, Burton would not take the UM job. As a matter of fact he's a UNC alum and was even a grad assistant under Mack Brown years ago. If he was looking, and Mack was looking, that's probably going to be where he goes. Otherwise I wouldn't expect him to even sniff South Florida

Tim Cross is the current UNC Dline coach an is not going anywhere, so Mack Brown wouldn't be looking for a dline coach at the same as Miami at the end of this season.

An your point about Burton being in the cold Midwest/great lakes area for most of his coaching career is exactly why he would move from the Mitt (Michigan) to da Bottom (MIA) if Mark Dantonio is encouraged to retire after this year. Keep in mind Burton is a originally from Virginia, an loves repping the 804. Not to mention Burton would be a kid in a candy store with all the dline talent available in the south.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Tim Cross is the current UNC Dline coach an is not going anywhere, so Mack Brown wouldn't be looking for a dline coach at the same as Miami at the end of this season.

An your point about Burton being in the cold Midwest/great lakes area for most of his coaching career is exactly why he would move from the Mitt (Michigan) to da Bottom (MIA) if Mark Dantonio is encouraged to retire after this year. Not to mention Burton would be a kid in a candy store with all the dline talent available in the south.

Go Canes
Cross is in a good place, but why WOULD Burton leave to begin with?

I haven't seen anybody doing that consistently since Ted Hendricks.

You could block Hendricks, he'd absorb the block with one hand and still reach out half a mile to make the play with the other hand.

Those who never saw him in college have no idea what kind of defensive player Ted Hendricks was.

After their senior season, O.J. Simpson was on a national TV show, maybe it was The Late Show (before Johnny Carson.) They had a Q&A with the studio audience. Somebody asked Simpson who the "hardest-hitting player" was that Simpson faced. Simpson said the hardest-hitting was Kevin Hardy a DL from Notre Dame. Then Simpson went on to volunteer that "the best was a guy by the name of Ted Hendricks down at the University of Miami." (He said it that way because everyone knew who Kevin Hardy and Notre Dame were, Hendricks and UM were not that well known.)

Simpson then said that Hendricks was a guy who never stayed blocked..just could not block him, would always make the play.

Yesterday, I started to see the second-coming of Ted Hendricks. Never saw it with any of our other tall lengthy DEs, not even Calais Campbell.

Rousseau is so Hendricks-like.
Agree. Stork 2.0

Cross is in a good place, but why WOULD Burton leave to begin with?

Michigan state is about done with Mark Dantonio, they pressured him to get make staff Changes the last 2 years. So all he did was move around coaching responsibilities and oh yeah gave his coaches a raise rather than fire them for the 2019 season. MSU is having a bad year already and they haven't hit the hard part of their schedule yet. So if / when Dantonio steps away, his staff will need jobs which is why I said if Coach Burton is available Miami should go after him.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Michigan state is about done with Mark Dantonio, they pressured him to get make staff Changes the last 2 years. So all he did was move around coaching responsibilities and oh yeah gave his coaches a raise rather than fire them for the 2019 season. MSU is having a bad year already and they haven't hit the hard part of their schedule yet. So if / when Dantonio steps away, his staff will need jobs which is why I said if Coach Burton is available Miami should go after him.

Go Canes
Well, that's speculation, IF he's available I'd day I agree. He's worth pursuing. However, should Dantonio bounce, Burton should and very well could be retained with his track record. There is something to consider, he's been pretty good with the Dline, but why is he only focused on the DTs over there and not the line in its entirety. Also, at UM that would be his gig along with recruiting and I have to say, I'm not completely sold.

If I had to choose I'd go after Nua at Michigan or even Rumph at UT. Rumph has had success and even though he has a coordinating role now, his seat is hot at UT and coaching dline may be up his alley, and of course I'd take Simpson back in a heartbeat

Advertisement
Petri and call it a day.

Coach Petri like Coach Kul doesn't like to recruit, which is most likely why he wasn't brought from La Tech with coach baker. Coach Petri has produced killer dlines wherever he has coached Miami (2x), Duke, La Tech.

Go Canes

Always look to upgrade.

I like Stroud, but the D Line has been okay. Dont let GR15 stats or yesterday fool you.

Hes a decent recruiter, but we could do better.

And dont forget he came here as an assistant.

Look around and see what's out there. If theres interest from someone superior, test the waters. If not, keep Stroud.

I have a feeling tho that Manny is looking to promote from within on the DLine.

Coach Petri like Coach Kul doesn't like to recruit, which is most likely why he wasn't brought from La Tech with coach baker. Coach Petri has produced killer dlines wherever he has coached Miami (2x), Duke, La Tech.

Go Canes
Agreed but we also need a grey beard on the staff as well.

Always look to upgrade.

I like Stroud, but the D Line has been okay. Dont let GR15 stats or yesterday fool you.

Hes a decent recruiter, but we could do better.

And dont forget he came here as an assistant.

Look around and see what's out there. If theres interest from someone superior, test the waters. If not, keep Stroud.

I have a feeling tho that Manny is looking to promote from within on the DLine.

There's no one to promote in the dline coaching room. Not to mention for Manny's scheme to be successful it needs a quality dline coach.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back