Romeo Finley this season

Advertisement
I just don’t see why we would move him back to Safety full time when he excelled so much as a Striker. I think they move Smith back to Safety before they move arguably there best defensive player last year in Finley..

I just don’t see why we would move him back to Safety full time when he excelled so much as a Striker. I think they move Smith back to Safety before they move arguably there best defensive player last year in Finley..

You just answered your own question, doc.

He made me a believer. Starting to see why it was down to us and Clemson for him. He was put into the right situation on D and played big time last year. Hope he takes another step this year. Hes definitely a "leader" on this D now.

Yeah I’m stationed here at eglin and work with a Niceville football dad. He told me that Dabo came to visit Romeo twice. He wanted him bad. Glad he went with the good guys.

What kind of dumb question is that? So I shouldnt care about a UM player once they leave?
You can care about whoever you feel like. Him translating to the NFL has no bearing on the position he's asked to play for us. So continue injecting your intelligent opinions. I'm sure their is a person who appreciates it.

Advertisement
You can care about whoever you feel like. Him translating to the NFL has no bearing on the position he's asked to play for us. So continue injecting your intelligent opinions. I'm sure their is a person who appreciates it.

There*.......Just wanted to help you . Carry on

He had his moments...by no means am I ready to anoint him a great defender.

May the best man win

Advertisement
Yes there’s a smaller sample size but I’d argue he was the most consistent defender all last season

Most consistent? I'd give that title easily to Big G Willis

He played well...had a few busted coverages that I remember but he did play well.

One tweak under new defensive coordinator Blake Baker: UM — which has only four scholarship corners this spring and six overall — has been using safety Amari Carter as a slot corner in nickel situations, a role that needs to be filled.

“Amari is such a good dime [cornerback], such a good blitzer, has such a good feel for underneath coverage,” Baker said. “That’s kind of how it’s evolved.”

And striker Romeo Finley, UM’s most improved player last year, has been moving to safety on third downs.

“It kind of came to fruition with a couple guys banged up,” Baker said. “In our third-down package, we’re putting him at safety. He’s played that position before. But he’s doing some good things back there. Any time you get an opportunity, make the most of it. We’ll see what comes of it.”

One tweak under new defensive coordinator Blake Baker: UM — which has only four scholarship corners this spring and six overall — has been using safety Amari Carter as a slot corner in nickel situations, a role that needs to be filled.

“Amari is such a good dime [cornerback], such a good blitzer, has such a good feel for underneath coverage,” Baker said. “That’s kind of how it’s evolved.”

And striker Romeo Finley, UM’s most improved player last year, has been moving to safety on third downs.

“It kind of came to fruition with a couple guys banged up,” Baker said. “In our third-down package, we’re putting him at safety. He’s played that position before. But he’s doing some good things back there. Any time you get an opportunity, make the most of it. We’ll see what comes of it.”

That will be short lived. Once Bubba steps on campus will be no need to waste RF at safety on any down.

I am intrigued by Amari at slot though. Hes a big time blitzer.

Advertisement
In his post practice interview last week, he said he'll be playing safety in the Prowler package. So they'll probably play GB at Striker in that same package. I'm not sure though, just assuming.

Finley played great last year. He covered running backs well, played good zone defense, and tackled well. He's got speed, instinct, and decent size for either a strong safety type or striker/OLB.

Advertisement
1 of the many players im excited about. With the new S&C, an offense that will allow the D to get some rest, a punter that wont continuously put our D in bad spots, this could be an amazing season. I know we all talk about the loss of Willis, J Jackson, Jaquan, etc. But taking everything into account, I dont think we have any drop off on D. We have some special players that are ready to make a name for themselves. Obviously the Jr’s, and seniors. But guys like Nesta, Hall, Rousseau. These guys are elite talents. Cant wait!

Agreed. I too don’t believe we will have much, if any, drop off on the defense this year. Ford has been tearing up practice thus far, Bethel has been his usual serviceable self, and having Garvin paired with Hill when he comes means we will have Patchan and Rousseau as the 1st backup DE unit. Add in Nesta, Nnoruka, Miller, and one of the freshmen in the middle as backups, and I think the DL will eat this year. Might not have quite the individual impacts like Willis III last season but overall I feel the defensive front will excel at playing as a unit. All 3 LB’s return and with Finley at Striker the 2nd level of defense should be extremely solid, if not spectacular. The only question mark I see is the secondary, with 3 out of 4 new starters. Not concerned with Bandy not matter if they play him at boundary CB or even in the nickel slot. He’s going to get his for sure. Blades and Ivey should round out the cornerback position, both played extensively last year so the jump should come for them this season. At safety we will start either combo of Bolden/Carter/Hall, of which I believe it will be Hall and Bolden. That gives us a much more athletic backend than we had previously, with more height, and more potential for bone crushing hits.

All in all, the defense overall should be outstanding once they get their legs under them. Let’s hope they reach that in Fall camp so they’re prepared for 8/24 and the Gayturd. I think this unit will shine for their collective whole versus anyone standing out singularly. The DL should bring enough pressure to cause havoc as such as it should help the back end until they’ve gelled and played together some. If the LB’s plus Striker take the next step this season, then we could have our tackle leader out of this group, which is as it should be. I’m very excited to see how this overall more athletic defense will do this season, that and how Baker will call games. If there are all things equal from last year’s unit to this season - then I don’t see dropoff occurring when they hit the field. Add in an offense that shall finally put up numbers and points, coupled with a better ran Special Team’s unit, and it adds up to 10-11 wins and the Coastal title heading into the ACCCG. With Clemson having to replace key players on both their OL and DL, anything can happen on any given football day. Wouldn’t that just be the shocker of all shockers if Miami pulls out the upset?

In his post practice interview last week, he said he'll be playing safety in the Prowler package. So they'll probably play GB at Striker in that same package. I'm not sure though, just assuming.

Interesting. Never heard of the Prowler package before. Carter at the nickel, if he can cover consistently, should put more athleticism and play making ability on the field. I wonder then who comes off the field in this case? Would this be 6 defensive backs, and would it mean Finley at Safety with Frierson as the Striker? Would love to learn more about this package, who they think they’ll play in it, and how often they believe they’ll need to utilize it given the opponent.

Interesting. Never heard of the Prowler package before. Carter at the nickel, if he can cover consistently, should put more athleticism and play making ability on the field. I wonder then who comes off the field in this case? Would this be 6 defensive backs, and would it mean Finley at Safety with Frierson as the Striker? Would love to learn more about this package, who they think they’ll play in it, and how often they believe they’ll need to utilize it given the opponent.

I started to include in that post that I don't know what the Prowler package is. Different DC's have different terminology but if I had to guess, its probably base Dime or Quarters package but I don't know for sure. I imagine that either Shaq or Pinckney come off.

Or it could be the base defense with different personnel groupings for certain down and distances but I truly don't know.

That will be short lived. Once Bubba steps on campus will be no need to waste RF at safety on any down.

I am intrigued by Amari at slot though. Hes a big time blitzer.

What if Finley is better than Bolden at safety in the Prowler package?

Whatever the case, taking Finley off the field feels wrong imo.

Advertisement
Back