Roman's take on Joe Brady

We went from pro style bro purgatory rank in 100s in major categories to dam near top 25 by the time he left for a HC gig while bringing us a HUNH true spread offense and making our qb room productive and breaking a few records on way out.. wat a crappy job..

The lashlee was a godsend.. stop the misinformation and slander
His offenses were literally the two highest scoring offenses at UM since 2002.
You're doing the most @skyman . I also think he had glaring deficiencies that didn't seem to get corrected in the few games I decided to watch this season. Scroll through gameday messages and you would have seen half of them talking about how bad of a playcaller people thought Lashlee was because of those. I also think he did a great job, thinking creatively and elevating the offense a ton. I think a lot of the offense production was limited by poor blocking.

Not everything is one extreme or the other.

Advertisement
Lashlee was a godsend!
did you see our offense in 2019?
I did. Thought he was very creative. I meant godsend as in able to put up Oklahoma type numbers and nullify any defensive weakness. Maybe I was too optimistic. Maybe would have gotten there this year w/ TVD, who knows

I think the Lashlee criticism is valid but he also chose some really bad times to make some really questionable calls

So the failures were glaring

Once TVD took over though watching a lot of the full breakdowns of how the plays were designed on a deeper level, I was pretty impressed
There was one play 2 yrs ago w/ king, I think against Louisville, where it was a tight formation and Mallory sprung open through the middle for a long TD. But that play was set up by 3 or 4 previous plays. He's like the closest thing I've seen to combat sports and setting up your opponent, and it was dope to watch those breakdowns to see that.

Advertisement
Ted Nguyen did a breakdown of Brady's scheme/approach for The Athletic today. He has some really insightful write-ups. Here is a link to the article with a couple highlights...the part about halftime adjustments is a little concerning, especially considering our history with Coley. Overall, I would still be happy with Brady and hope he could learn from his time in Carolina.

--​

Did he make adjustments?

Another point of contention Rhule had with Brady was the team’s lack of success in the third quarter.

“The Panthers have scored a league-worst 18 offensive points in the third quarter, a damning indictment of Rhule, Brady and the entire offensive staff’s lack of halftime adjustments,” The Atheltic’s Joe Person wrote.

“We’ve had more success early in the game than we do later in the game,” Rhule said. “And that’s really true for us on defense, as well.”

There might be some truth to this, as the Panthers were ranked 30th in third-quarter points per drive last season. Brady split play-calling duties while he was at LSU so 2020 was his first full season as a full-time play caller in any level of football. Being able to adjust may be a skill that takes time for him to develop.

Overall, I like Brady’s system and play calling and I think he can be very successful with better talent to work with. He needs to improve his ability to adjust but he has a good football mind and should learn with more experience. He understands the type of players he has on his team and puts them in a position to play to their strengths. However, there’s only so much you could do when you can’t block and your quarterback is inaccurate and turns the ball over. It seems like Rhule wanted a heavy run-at-all-cost offense and Brady wasn’t falling in line with his wishes. As an assistant coach, you have to be able to take orders from your boss and Rhule must have felt that Brady wasn’t and wouldn’t mold the offense to his liking. That is a fireable offense. But Brady is a young, smart coach and although it seems unlikely that he’ll be an NFL head coach next season, he should get a second chance in a desirable destination soon.

I actually think, for the most part, there's a pretty healthy discussion/debate going on. Feels a lot lighter than the last few years at the end of Richt and the entire Manny era.
And why people get mad at some posters disagreeing with them or with the general sentiment of the board? Are they automatically brain damaged or idiots when they do that? There are so many variables in a coach's performance that predicting how exactly a coach will do is guessing at best.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Shockingly enough, Lashlee's offense looked pretty **** good when he got some decent blocking from the O-line. Crazy how ALL of the pieces have to work....
In the tune of the #1 pass blocking Oline in the ACC. From there, WE ALL got to see the rising of the Phoenix in Tyler Van Dimes.

What makes a great OC? Execution. I expect a complete improvement on both sides of the ball next year. Focus and what it truly means to be a cane. The paddy cake days are over.

Advertisement
It was. Pope and Wiggins held the offense back in 2020. In 2021, King wasn't healthy.

Lashlee had a hand in the early struggles too.

I been going back to watch the games so I can reevaluate my impressions of the team. Bama game had me way down on pass blocking. The protection was much better afterwards. There were untimely breakdowns that throttled the offense in key situations though. We moved the ball on App State, but our defense couldn’t get off the field. D’eriq carved up MSU, but had uncharacteristic turnovers and got himself hurt playing too physically.

Teams were playing waaaay off on D’eriq and it made him hesitant to go deep. Lashlee did a poor job calling plays to take advantage of that and force the secondary to play tighter. We were blocking the bubble screen poorly and relying on too much rpo bubble and slot slant. D’eriq made some bad reads, but the biggest issues were blocking, drops, penalties, and not taking advantage of defensive numbers.

One of my biggest gripes with Lashlee was not matching play calls to pre snap coverage and alignment well enough. He played into the defense’s hand way too much and it was a big part why TVD struggled early. Lashlee got better with this as the season progressed and TVD flourished. I believe slowing the tempo helped.

Coming from Auburn and SMU, I think it took a while to realize he had to pass to run and that he didn’t have a talent advantage on offensive line.

Let’s be real, great players make average coaches look great. Great coaches can elevate average players but if you’ve got a bunch of bums, the best coach in the world won’t matter.

Case in point: Rob Chudzinski.
2001: 454.8 ypg 42.7 ppg
2002: 465.8 ypg 40.5 ppg
Then…..
2003: 394.9 ypg 27.8 ppg

Did Chud forget how to call plays? Did he change his system?

Of course not. He just didn’t have as many good players. Honestly, anyone could have had success with the all star teams in 01-02. It’s a whole new game when everyone on your side isn’t way better than everyone on the other side.

Advertisement
Lashlee had a hand in the early struggles too.

I been going back to watch the games so I can reevaluate my impressions of the team. Bama game had me way down on pass blocking. The protection was much better afterwards. There were untimely breakdowns that throttled the offense in key situations though. We moved the ball on App State, but our defense couldn’t get off the field. D’eriq carved up MSU, but had uncharacteristic turnovers and got himself hurt playing too physically.

Teams were playing waaaay off on D’eriq and it made him hesitant to go deep. Lashlee did a poor job calling plays to take advantage of that and force the secondary to play tighter. We were blocking the bubble screen poorly and relying on too much rpo bubble and slot slant. D’eriq made some bad reads, but the biggest issues were blocking, drops, penalties, and not taking advantage of defensive numbers.

One of my biggest gripes with Lashlee was not matching play calls to pre snap coverage and alignment well enough. He played into the defense’s hand way too much and it was a big part why TVD struggled early. Lashlee got better with this as the season progressed and TVD flourished. I believe slowing the tempo helped.

Coming from Auburn and SMU, I think it took a while to realize he had to pass to run and that he didn’t have a talent advantage on offensive line.

Boom.

It took a season and a half for Lashlee to make adjustments with the offense. Likens had a hand in that. He deserves props.

Advertisement
Back