Confirmed Rod Wright is new DE coach

This staff tho!

air-hump.gif

Advertisement
PHENOMENAL pickup...

He’s been at UTSA with Jess Loepp for the last 3 years, they run a very good run defensive system.

Rod is a young coach on the rise that will have the SEC schools hawking him down once he boosts his profile at Miami.

We now got two very good coaches that can help us build a pipeline into Tejas which is beyond needed if we really want to become a playoff team.

This defensive staff is particularly centered around the DLine, with Salavea’a, Rod Wright, Jason Taylor & Todd Stroud, we should be landing some pure hunters at DE & DT.
If I’m a defensive linemen and I’m serious about getting the best coaching possible, I’d have to put Miami at the top of the list. You’ve got the grizzled vet in Stroud, the young up and comer in Wright, the pro’s pro in Salavea’a and the Hall of Famer in Taylor. Technicians up and down the staff. Guys who know the inside game, the outside game, how to rush the passer, how to play the run. I’m 100% sold on this defensive staff.

Great addition to the defensive staff. All star committee of high end recruiters plus they’re amazing developers of talent and young men. Add in Field as the TE coach and we’re all set ladies and gents for our coaching staff. One could argue this is one of, if not the best overall staff in the country.

Advertisement
@Rellyrell you my brudda but I’m gonna get you off of using Total Defense one day fam 😂. We linking up next time I’m in LA too

Man, I was against Total Def, too, but as I kept looking through individual defensive stats, it typically gives a strong indication of the defense. However, 2014 is a prime example of how deceiving Total Def can be where Miami ranked 14th. However, I think the metrics/analytics used today vs. yesterday is much better is gaging the accuracy of Total Def.

Last edited:
Man, I was against Total D, too, but as I kept looking through individual defensive stats, it typically gives a strong indication of the defense. However, 2014 is a prime example of how deceiving Total D can be where Miami ranked 14th. However, I think the metrics/analytics used today vs. yesterday is much better is gaging the accuracy of Total D.
The advanced metrics crowd likes to turn their nose up at total defense but it’s generally still a solid metric. Of course there’s outliers and no one metric is the end all, be all but so many teams run no huddle now, there’s not as huge a gap in terms of the number of plays one defense faces vs another. No good defense is going to give up a ton of yards.

Advertisement
PHENOMENAL pickup...

He’s been at UTSA with Jess Loepp for the last 3 years, they run a very good run defensive system.

Rod is a young coach on the rise that will have the SEC schools hawking him down once he boosts his profile at Miami.

We now got two very good coaches that can help us build a pipeline into Tejas which is beyond needed if we really want to become a playoff team.

This defensive staff is particularly centered around the DLine, with Salavea’a, Rod Wright, Jason Taylor & Todd Stroud, we should be landing some pure hunters at DE & DT.
And a natural fit for a CO-DC role if one of Strong or Steele jumps.

Advertisement
If I’m a defensive linemen and I’m serious about getting the best coaching possible, I’d have to put Miami at the top of the list. You’ve got the grizzled vet in Stroud, the young up and comer in Wright, the pro’s pro in Salavea’a and the Hall of Famer in Taylor. Technicians up and down the staff. Guys who know the inside game, the outside game, how to rush the passer, how to play the run. I’m 100% sold on this defensive staff.
Absolutely.

And if you’re talented at all, you can look our depth chart & not be worried about competition at all.

If I’m a 5-star DT or DE, I’m looking at Miami’s Depth Chart like, “Oh yeah I’m playing riiiight away on that team” lol.

Man, I was against Total D, too, but as I kept looking through individual defensive stats, it typically gives a strong indication of the defense. However, 2014 is a prime example of how deceiving Total D can be where Miami ranked 14th. However, I think the metrics/analytics used today vs. yesterday is much better is gaging the accuracy of Total D.

Pause - gonna have to spell out Defense. Gotta be true to word play even to my favorite poster 💀😂

Advertisement
For context:

UTSA’s run defense ranked 14th in the nation, compared to our run defense of 44th

UTSA was 56th in sacks, compared to our team sacks which was 35th

UTSA was 58th in TFL, compared to our team TFL which was 8th

UTSA was 56th in Total D, compared to our team Total D which was 75th

UTSA was 5th in T.O margin, compared to our team’s T.O margin which was 108th

UTSA was 50th in scoring def, compared to our team’s scoring def which was 82nd

UTSA was T-4th in FF/FR, compared to our team’s FF/FR which was T-118th

If this comes to fruition, there’s a lot to like about this hire. UTSA took a nice leap from yr 1 to yr 2, & Wright has acquitted himself quite nicely as a Co-DC/DL coach. He & Joe should be a nice tandem.
Excellent hire! Wright and Salave'a will make for an excellent tandem. The difference between this defensive staff and the junior high amateur hour staff under Diaz is night and day. With Wright joining Steele, Strong, Salave'a and Addae, this is the best defensive staff at Miami in 30 years.

Advertisement
Back