Roche and Phillips, we need more....

Advertisement
Phillips reminds me somewhat like how Allen Bailey was at UM (except Bailey was a much better pass rusher, above average)..... Physically looks like he should get 12+ sacks a season easily but for whatever reason doesn’t get to the QB at even an average level.

Good post. I think the major difference this season versus last season is 1) Linebacker play and 2) defensive scheme. Shaq and Pinkney created a lot of mismatches for our D line and were REALLY good at blitzing on pass plays. Regarding scheme - I recall Rousseau lining up all over the Dline last season. I also recall our DEs and DTs switching off on the snap quite a bit. I don't see that nearly as much this season; Nesta loves to bull rush and Roche/Phillips like to roll outside a lot. Just my 2 cents...

Edit to add - yes, they are not calling holds, but that has been the case for YEARS. Not a unique excuse for this season.
I have noticed that our starting DEs in particular are on the field a LOT. I don't recall ever having our starters in as much as Roche and Phillips are in there. I remember one drive either before the half or 3rd quarter where Phillips was giving very little effort. He looked horribly gassed. I know he gives effort, so it had to be him being tired. We need to see more DEs in a hurry. Do we have others on the **** roster that this staff recruited? Right now we have two transfers and really nothing else that I have seen. Where the **** are the other DEs?

The fact Phillips is healthy and productive is most important. He wasn't a true DE at UCLA and has only played in 17 games total so let's be patient.

Roche has flashed quite a bit but they can zero-in on him with chips from TEs and RBs and leave Phillips 1on1 for now.

Roche is playing with big boys now....better comp in ACC. Phillips doesn't look like the Phillips from HS imo he doesn't have that same explosiveness. They both have effort though and also what someone brought up they are being held at times alot. Technique is an issue as well. Also u can call holding on every play but that's all over the country.

Phillips looks plenty explosive be just runs himself out of every play

Advertisement
Roche is playing with big boys now....better comp in ACC. Phillips doesn't look like the Phillips from HS imo he doesn't have that same explosiveness. They both have effort though and also what someone brought up they are being held at times alot. Technique is an issue as well. Also u can call holding on every play but that's all over the country.
You need to watch Phillips more closely..he’s lacking hand placement and moves..but get off, speed, COD is elite. Takes more than pure athleticism. He was ACC Dlineman of the week BTW

Phillips really needs another year to refine technique. Teams do plan to get the ball out quick and we allow that to happen with how we play in the back 7 so that negates some of the pass rush. We make it too easy on the opposing QBs which is why backups look like the 2nd coming of Dan Marino when we play them.

You need to watch Phillips more closely..he’s lacking hand placement and moves..but get off, speed, COD is elite. Takes more than pure athleticism. He was ACC Dlineman of the week BTW
He's talented as **** u can't be the number 1 recruit without that talent

Advertisement
Maybe this is a dumb question but can someone tell me why its so hard for a DE to learn different "moves"? I mean how many moves are there really? 4,5, or 6 different moves (bull rush, spin, speed rush, dip and bend, etc.)? I mean if you're a DE and literally half of what you do is rush the QB on pass plays how hard is it to learn and perfect a few moves? I dont get it, someone drop some knowledge on me please

Hard to get a sack while carrying an offensive lineman on your back every play.

The holding non-calls are killing us.
One would think this would be a layup question for a journalist covering the team. “Quincy, you have played in two different conferences in the past two years. Do you feel like you are getting mugged this year and not getting calls or is it the same as last year?”

Maybe I am asking too much.

I think Nesta has played really well. Hunt has had some good times. I think the ends have looked off compared to what we normally have. I’m always wondering why the announcers think they’re so great. How many sacks are they averaging per game, like .24 ish? Not saying they stink, but they don’t appear to be anything special. Do they look off because of the sub par LB and DB play? Or are they better than what I perceive?

Advertisement
He looks like a guy who has played one season of college football. He plays hard and often gets into the backfield but he’s still super raw

Definitely. He's put on good size and he looks athletic but that's it. I'd rather see Cam or Harvey more. Phillips has a lot of potential but he's not ready for every down work IMO. He gets a jump and then pushed past the QB and he's out of the play. I think we need to be rotating DEs more - and Phillips needs to stay another year.

Maybe this is a dumb question but can someone tell me why its so hard for a DE to learn different "moves"? I mean how many moves are there really? 4,5, or 6 different moves (bull rush, spin, speed rush, dip and bend, etc.)? I mean if you're a DE and literally half of what you do is rush the QB on pass plays how hard is it to learn and perfect a few moves? I dont get it, someone drop some knowledge on me please
I played DE in my high school days and I think the easiest answer is at that level when u find 1 move that works u use it..a lot and without proper coaching and motivation u don’t bother learning the ins and outs of the spin move etc..spin move is not as easy as it looks u can get knocked on your *** if u don’t execute properly. A guy like Phillips was probably able to either run right around the OT or bullrush them..probably never had to use technique until he got to college.

Advertisement
The Dline is so far from any of the issues on this D so this thread is a fail. May not have sack numbers but those dudes get after it and play. The missing ingredient is good Linebacker play. Shaq would have had 60plus tackles so far this year. Leading tackler on this D barely has 40 in 7 games. Thats ******* terrible. Linebackers need to step up, plain and simple

The Dline is so far from any of the issues on this D so this thread is a fail. May not have sack numbers but those dudes get after it and play. The missing ingredient is good Linebacker play. Shaq would have had 60plus tackles so far this year. Leading tackler on this D barely has 40 in 7 games. Thats ******* terrible. Linebackers need to step up, plain and simple
And the leading tacklers aren't linebackers!!

Advertisement
Back