Roche and Phillips, we need more....

gacaneaddict

Junior
Our defense has not played up to expectations this season. If we want to finish the season strong on defense we need more from Roche and Phillips.

I am not saying they have played bad. They actually have played solid to good this year. With that said we need more out of them especially if we want to improve the last few games this year on defense.

Roche-31 tackles/10 TFL/2.5 sacks
Phillips-29 tackles/6 TFL/2.5 sacks

This is 7 games into the season.

Roche finished last season with 49 tackles/19 TFL/13 sacks.
in just 6 games his freshman season Phillips tallied 7 TFL/3.5 sacks both higher than he has this year in 1 less game.

Good news is this, after 7 games last season Roche had 17 tackles/5 TFL/3 sacks. He then exploded his last 5 games of the season with 32 tackles/14 TFL/10 sacks.

This defense can take a big step forward if this tandem takes it to another level.

I would also add the safeties, if the trio of veterans step their game up..this defense will also get better down the stretch.

Advertisement
Good post. I think the major difference this season versus last season is 1) Linebacker play and 2) defensive scheme. Shaq and Pinkney created a lot of mismatches for our D line and were REALLY good at blitzing on pass plays. Regarding scheme - I recall Rousseau lining up all over the Dline last season. I also recall our DEs and DTs switching off on the snap quite a bit. I don't see that nearly as much this season; Nesta loves to bull rush and Roche/Phillips like to roll outside a lot. Just my 2 cents...

Edit to add - yes, they are not calling holds, but that has been the case for YEARS. Not a unique excuse for this season.

Here is your Problem....
Blake-Baker-Miami.png

Advertisement
Technique technique technique. It’s not there. It’s bull rush/speed rush or nothing. We are not violent with our hands what so ever. O lineman grab a hold of us and we’re done. I’m unsure if it’s baker to blame or stroud or both.... Yes I see the holds. Their blatant.

Roche is playing with big boys now....better comp in ACC. Phillips doesn't look like the Phillips from HS imo he doesn't have that same explosiveness. They both have effort though and also what someone brought up they are being held at times alot. Technique is an issue as well. Also u can call holding on every play but that's all over the country.

Advertisement
Technique technique technique. It’s not there. It’s bull rush/speed rush or nothing. We are not violent with our hands what so ever. O lineman grab a hold of us and we’re done. I’m unsure if it’s baker to blame or stroud or both.... Yes I see the holds. Their blatant.
Violent hands and using length to dictate the play were huge for 15 last year. These guys lack a post-snap attack it’s all just predetermined.

Here is your Problem....
View attachment 135234
You beat me to it! Unqualified to scheme, evaluate talent, develop talent, assemble a staff and be a DC. You can't be lead by privileged cats and expect to beat the top teams like the lizards did the dawgs. Prior to irrelevant bowl secure and announce Winston Moss so he and his qualified staff can recruit before NSD.

for one the alignment of the ends are off this year. Secondly the drop off of linebacker play is more severe than many hoped. ALOT of y’all took shaq quarterman for granted.

final point; that 3rd down rush where we have 3 dlineman isn’t anywhere near as effective without greg playing that dt position but yet we exclusively use it and STILL have people running wide open on 3rd down even though we drop 8 in coverage.

we need to go back to a 4 man dline on 3rd down period

baker game by game has put his undeserved imprints all over this defense and has it completely out of whack right now. Diaz should be ashamed honestly for hiring him, he’s transformed manny’s aggressive defense that doesn’t give up big plays to one that is anything but aggressive(we don’t play behind the line of scrimmage as much) and give up too many big plays. It’s coach baker period

Advertisement
You beat me to it! Unqualified to scheme, evaluate talent, develop talent, assemble a staff and be a DC. You can't be lead by privileged cats and expect to beat the top teams like the lizards did the dawgs. Prior to irrelevant bowl secure and announce Winston Moss so he and his qualified staff can recruit before NSD.
Well I don’t think you can say that, because in 2018 at La Tech he had a DE Jaylon Ferguson that racked up 65 tackles/26 TFL/17.5 sacks in his scheme.

Then at Miami in 2019 he has Rousseau that went 54 tackles/19.5 TFL/15.5 sacks.

Sometimes the players need to just elevate their game.

Winston or Mrs. Moss?

Advertisement
Why we waited to dominate on D till the last series is a ?

GOCANES

I firmly believe Manny was much more involved, although I always hear it is his D, etc. I know he is on the headsets and knows every call. He is not a great DC, but in the 4th I saw much less stunting, and LB gap fills were like years past. Baker brings 0 intensity and our guys look like they're sleepwalking out there. MUST upgrade D staff in off season like he did O this past season.

Watch how the Dolphins play there D , all I heard was by announc the Cardinals OL couldn’t figure out who to block.

Or is it a pride issue in coaching to watch the Dolphins play DL?

Any thoughts on this ?

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back