Rise of the Super Teams

IMO the rise of the super team culture the last 10 years has permeated college football. We see Kentucky and Duke sign most of the top talent across the nation year in and out. We saw LeBron leave home to come to Miami. Durant join an already championship team in Golden State. Baga go anywhere and get that states top talent, top class every year for 15 years. Gentlemen, the old adage of being dedicated your hood, state or country is long gone and replaced by instant gratification and who gives me my best chance for victory and show me the $$$. ****, we see it from the president! To QB traveling all the way from Cali to go to Clemson. To all the SOFL talent leaving for years to less desirable locations. To Donell Harris telling us thanks, but wherever I go they have proven to me that I can win a natty and get paid asap. The only thing left that is loyal, is your dog. Of course there are exceptions, but the new era of sports and the modern athlete is less about character and loyalty and more about $$$ and self promotion.

Advertisement
IMO the rise of the super team culture the last 10 years has permeated college football. We see Kentucky and Duke sign most of the top talent across the nation year in and out. We saw LeBron leave home to come to Miami. Durant join an already championship team in Golden State. Baga go anywhere and get that states top talent, top class every year for 15 years. Gentlemen, the old adage of being dedicated your hood, state or country is long gone and replaced by instant gratification and who gives me my best chance for victory and show me the $$$. ****, we see it from the president! To QB traveling all the way from Cali to go to Clemson. To all the SOFL talent leaving for years to less desirable locations. To Donell Harris telling us thanks, but wherever I go they have proven to me that I can win a natty and get paid asap. The only thing left that is loyal, is your dog. Of course there are exceptions, but the new era of sports and the modern athlete is less about character and loyalty and more about $$$ and self promotion.

I tend to be pro player, and pro movement. I don't blame kids for wanting to play somewhere where they can get paid and have a legit shot at a title. The problem is that the playing field is tilted in college athletics. If you are in a small town, where you own the media and are protected by your conference, you can cheat with impunity with no consequences. For schools like Miami, even if the boosters could afford to give like that, they wouldn't, due to the certainty of discovery and the NCAA throwing the book at us. This is why I feel that having student-athletes get paid a legitimate salary would benefit Miami. We may not pay as much as Alabama, but we could offer something above the table, and then sell living in Miami as a benefit.

And look how well that turned out for Duke, the Heat (not 1, not 2, not 3). Come on man, people on this site are honestly worse than the kids in the recruiting game. Grow a pair.

And look how well that turned out for Duke, the Heat (not 1, not 2, not 3). Come on man, people on this site are honestly worse than the kids in the recruiting game. Grow a pair.
This was a statement about current state of sports and the modern athlete. Not some lame macho comment about nuts. Never said being on a super team guaranteed victory . As for Duke my friend it has worked out Great. For the Heat it resulted in 2 titles. Instead of requesting you grow a pair, I suggest some secondary education and more reading.

This was a statement about current state of sports and the modern athlete. Not some lame macho comment about nuts. Never said being on a super team guaranteed victory . As for Duke my friend it has worked out Great. For the Heat it resulted in 2 titles. Instead of requesting you grow a pair, I suggest some secondary education and more reading.
You know what’s worked out better? Doing your due diligence, drafting and recruiting based on skill set and time spent in honest evals instead of grabbing all 5stars. Ask the Warriors. They drafted 4/5 starters and set a win record and have been to the finals 4 years in a row?

Advertisement
I tend to be pro player, and pro movement. I don't blame kids for wanting to play somewhere where they can get paid and have a legit shot at a title. The problem is that the playing field is tilted in college athletics. If you are in a small town, where you own the media and are protected by your conference, you can cheat with impunity with no consequences. For schools like Miami, even if the boosters could afford to give like that, they wouldn't, due to the certainty of discovery and the NCAA throwing the book at us. This is why I feel that having student-athletes get paid a legitimate salary would benefit Miami. We may not pay as much as Alabama, but we could offer something above the table, and then sell living in Miami as a benefit.

Man these kids dont care about living in Miami

And don't forget to thank Pops
with his hand out $$$.

Exactly!

Kids don’t owe their local school ****. The local school owes it to the kid to show them why the school is the #1 option. Plus, there are just too many kids that need to be developed that can be ultimately better than their star-ranking.

To the nutless fans: they’ll find another kid, develop their own or hit the transfer portal! They’ll do their job!

(Syracuse beat Clemson in ‘17 with a lesser roster than Miami has for 2019.)
Agree, especially from third sentence on. I am old-fashioned about loyalty. In many cases, we were with these South Florida kids since they were young. Then they spurn us.

Advertisement
If anybody thinks there's something new about all the top players signing with a small handful of schools, they haven't paid attention to college football since...ever. The top programs have always signed the top kids. There's a reason why only a handful of schools have ever even won A national title let alone multiple. If you're a big parity fan, college football is not the game for you. There's always been dynasties going all the way back to the leather helmet days. If anything, there's more parity now than there ever has been.

I actually made a thread about this exact same thing a while back and I completely agree with your premise.

For the contrarian reading this thread, OP is not necessarily talking about kids owing Miami their services. Rather it's about these kids not wanting to help build something and be apart of a programs uprising. They would rather sit at the cool table instead of making their own table cool. Basically, kids solely want to roll with the winners in this day in age. There used to be a time where kids wanted to prove themselves and embraced the underdog role. That time has passed and that stands true across sports now, which is a little scary.

Again, because I know it's been stated thousands of times, but Durant went to play for a championship team who beat him. Jordan would have NEVER done that.

Think about that!

If anybody thinks there's something new about all the top players signing with a small handful of schools, they haven't paid attention to college football since...ever. The top programs have always signed the top kids. There's a reason why only a handful of schools have ever even won A national title let alone multiple. If you're a big parity fan, college football is not the game for you. There's always been dynasties going all the way back to the leather helmet days. If anything, there's more parity now than there ever has been.

This.

OP is pretty naive to this is anything new

Advertisement
Yesterday: "Ask not what your Country can do for you, but what can you do for your Country"

Today: "I'm lookin' for mine, what ya got?"

And that would have just about zero impact on the current paying of recruits. How much are kids going to get paid? $2,500 a month? $5k? Compare that with some of the numbers rumored to fly around for the difference maker prospects. That would be an above the table bonus on top of the 6 figures boosters are giving them.

Advertisement
Exactly!

Kids don’t owe their local school ****. The local school owes it to the kid to show them why the school is the #1 option. Plus, there are just too many kids that need to be developed that can be ultimately better than their star-ranking.

To the nutless fans: they’ll find another kid, develop their own or hit the transfer portal! They’ll do their job!

(Syracuse beat Clemson in ‘17 with a lesser roster than Miami has for 2019.)
24 point spread too. Figured I'd throw that in for a Friday bonus.

Advertisement
Back