Rise of the Super Teams

Advertisement
As long as kids believe, and I think rightfully, that SEC football is superior, then yes, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Athens, Knoxville, Columbia. etc will be considered primary choices - even if the schools records/history may not agree. And, even though Miami May have a more national brand.

Also, Saban has long coattails; his ex-assistants get jobs and get to craft a story of success - often at SEC schools (and I think Enos has a bit of that glow on him as well). They can recruit with national title rings on. They can tell kids how they went into the home of a first rounder and how that first rounder looks just like the kid they’re recruiting.

But, long before I upvoted the **** out of @DMoney this week, I’ve been writing about Miami needing to win with who enrolls. I’ve been saying it since I joined. And, I firmly believe Miami can. Don’t just win the coastal, DOMINATE it!

@DMoney was FOS. He’s basically saying all we have to do to land guys like Harris is win 10-11 games a year and win the Coastal. That ship has sailed. We’re not getting those guys. Maybe not even with NCs, but we sure as **** aren’t getting them by consistently winning the Coastal.

Anyone who thinks WINNING doesn't help your recruiting efforts...is beyond the help of medical science as it is practiced today

Last edited:
Advertisement
We’ll have to disagree on that one even though I don’t think we’re that far off.

I don’t think Miami gets all those guys even with NC’s, but Miami never did. “State of Miami” was jbrilliant marketing by Schnellenberger and Johnson, but they never locked down “The State…”. Schnellenberger didn’t get Anthony Carter and Johnson didn’t get Derrick Thomas or countless guys who ended up going to UF/FSU … yet Miami still won and dominated (to an extent; Florida teams tended to be more equal matchups).

But, and I don’t want to speak for @DMoney , Miami can’t get those guys if Miami doesn’t dominate the Coastal. And, that has been more of a coaching failure than a recruiting one. There is absolutely no track record over the last 15 years of Miami coaches making their teams better than the sum of their parts. And that’s the Hallmark of good coaching. Or, to put it in a framework that you might better understand: if you have the opportunity to invest in one of two companies, do you invest in the company with unlikeable pricks running the firm that has produced dominant market share and proven results, or your really cool neighbor who SAYS he can get you the same results yet hasn’t come close in 15 years?

Diaz has to dominate and he better do it quick; this fan base is way too stupid to recognize that he gets it without flying banners at the first hiccup. And if he does that and establishes a track record of dominating the Coastal he’ll get more of the “Lingards” and even some of the “Surtains” in time.

I’m not arguing that we shouldn’t dominate the coastal, and I’m not arguing that we should have already been winning the division, but I’m saying that as far as getting players like Harris, it won’t matter if we do.

Winning more will get us better recruits, but it won’t get us what the bag schools are getting. Not even close.

It doesn’t matter how Miami won championships in the past, and I’m not conceding that Miami didn’t get a bunch of five stars because the last championship we won, the roster was full of highly rated recruits. What does matter is that to get to the playoffs and succeed, you need to have a roster somewhat approximating the talent level Alabama, LSU or Georgia, or like those schools.

To think that we can win championships nowadays with rosters that have significantly less talent, even though those rosters may consistently win the coastal, is folly. It’s just not realistic.

We don’t have to get every five star down here, or every highly rated four-star, nor do we need to build an impenetrable fence, but we need to get our decent share, something we still won’t do because the bag schools will steal the recruits right out from under us, even when we’re winning 10-11 games and winning the coastal.

The guys the bag schools want, they’re going to get.

Last edited:
This all starts long before high school. The so called "modern athlete" OP mentions is a product of his environment.

Stacking Youth Football Leagues, traveling leagues in Basketball, then comes high school and coaches/street (mini-bag) agents recruiting kids to play for school A down the street from school B, because they will make a better playoff run and get more exposure, didn't just happen. Add to that high school free agency, and you gonna act shocked?

Is it possible anyone from Miami/Dade didn't notice over the last 20 years when teams were playing in the same classification the blue-chippers didn't have no problem walking out on their homeboys and gravitating to the school with the best shot? One year it was Killian, another year it was Northwestern, then Central, then Caroll City, back and forth, etc and so on, ringing up State Titles. Plus you had St Thomas Aquinas cherry picking. The projected 3-star corner wiating for his chance gets replaced with a legit 4-star. And a few Palm Beach schools had a run. Before this All-Star Team era, teams like Belle Glade or Pahokee racked up just on the small town freakish local talent.

Anyone who expects a kid who may have moved once or twice in his high school career to stay in Miami because he's from the hood, I got a spoiler for you; that ship sailed a long time ago.

Win consistently and give them the "At Home"option again, and a lot of them will buy in. But don't blame them. Switch it around for your individual careers (if you were never recruited or played the game), you'd make similar decisions based on what's best for you.

Let's hope we got the pieces to provide that option.

Kentucky and Duke cheat lol all teams who sign top players are bagging up but they have good coaches plus bags

Well, great coaches are smart enough to coach where there are bags o' plenty.....

Guys like Gary Patterson and Jay Wright (though I'm sure Villanova boosters pull some decent weight) are refreshing breaks from the standard as they can move on to bigger paydays and much bigger booster "support" elsewhere and choose not to...

Football is looked at as a business from a very young age down here. Kids want to be associated with winning programs. And dogs want to be around other dogs. They're making "business decisions" as early as optimist ball.

How do you differentiate between a kid who's a front-runner and a kid who wants to be play with other dogs?

I've always coached at schools that got poached. This is the first time in my career that I've coached at a school that actually receives incoming transfers. So far none of these kids have given me a front-runner vibe. They come in here and work their a$$es off. And ultimately they want to be around other dogs because the players at their former schools weren't on their level mentally or physically.

I had a very similar experience in high school and I should have transferred when I had the chance. Being around kids who had no future in football made me complacent. Being around other elite athletes makes you "level-up" your game

This 100%. My son is at a big private school in the DC area because he wants to play football/lacrosse with other big time kids, in big time games. There is a difference in approach at certain schools and that is what he, and kids just like him, are attracted to. Those kids he plays with work their asses off to perfect their craft and it shows up on the field. You can't roll into these programs and just half *** your way to the field. If you do, eventually you will be standing on the sidelines watching the games instead of participating in them. It's no difference between the big high school programs and the colleges ones. Many kids are attracted to the hard work and the expectations that comes with playing for these programs and coaching staffs.

Why posters believe that kids are somehow taking an easier path by going to schools like Bama and Clemson is beyond me. That just tells me that these posters don't understand what truly goes on at these types of programs, whether college or high school. Kids who don't put in the work, don't play, because it's too competitive and hard to get by with minimal effort. Not to mention that the coaching staffs won't allow you to skate. They didn't get where they are by allowing kids to take it easy in their programs.

I see it in the summer lacrosse tournaments that my son plays in. These are the elite of the elite tournaments and you can see the fields lined up with all the big time lacrosse programs, to include all the other lesser programs. These coaches will tell you that if you are taking it easy and not playing hard from whistle to whistle, from the start of the game to the finish, you get crossed off their list. Recruiting has changed a lot over the years. No doubt coaches still make mistakes, but those mistakes are less than what they used to be.

I still believe that playing in the Coastal hurts them some what in recruiting. Unfortunately the type of kids that you want in your program are the ones that are going to look at the ACC Coastal and the SEC West and decide that the SEC West, or SEC in general, is the place they want to compete in. This is why their OOC scheduling needs to be solid and Miami needs to win those big matchups. They need to find a way to offset their crappy Coastal schedule. Then, when you play Clemson along the way, you have to consistently compete with them at their level.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back