RIP to the great Schnelly

Advertisement
1980 Canes vs the gator in Hogtown. Canes are up 28-7 late in the ballgame and Howard is just running out the clock. OL coach Chris Vagotis gets knocked out by an orange thrown by a classy Jort wearer and Howard sends the fg team out on the last play of the game to tack one on. Final score: Canes 31 the gator 7. Rest easy Coach!

Advertisement
As many have wondered, what if he had stayed? He is certainly respected and honored but he would've gone down as one of the greatest ever. Yes, even the likes of Bear Bryant.

Advertisement
Howard Schnellenberger.jpeg

Mr. Howard Leslie Schnellenberger, the Legend! A great person, a high character individual, a visionary, an excellent coach, and a wonderful human being. God bless you, and thank you very much for the great and wonderful memories at The U!!! RIP Coach Schnelly! My family and I will greatly miss you Coach!! My deepest condolences to the entire Schnellenberger family. I hope that one day soon you are enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame. You deserve it!! The University of Miami must carry the baton to get him inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame!!! He deserves it and he must be inducted.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Whenever pictures are used defining what is a coach...there are ONLY THREE individuals who MUST be included in any display

Vince Lombardi, Nick Saban and Howard Schnellenberger

RIP Schnelly

ALL of our greatest coaches are standing on his shoulders to reach the heights they achieved.

IMO. IF SCHNELLY HADN'T LEFT Saban would be far short and still be chasing HIS record for winning National Championships

Last edited:
Advertisement
The year that our Canes won their first ‘ship, I was only 10 years old. Still remember it like it was yesterday. The fumblerooski, and the two point conversion broken up in the end zone. The celebration afterwards.

Nobody gave our Canes a chance that night, but Howard and the boyz knew that they were gonna shock the world and open up a can of whoop a$$ on a team that up to that point was being hailed as the greatest of all-time.

There will never be another one like Coach Schnellenberger, or his adversary that night, who had the balls and integrity to go for the win.

Fly with the angels, Coach!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back