Rip Kobe Bryant

"On your best days, the days you landed a big account or aced a big test or just survived a battle with traffic, you felt like Kobe. You were Kobe. And in the end, as he retired into a life of movies and books and coaching Gianna’s basketball team, he was us."

From an article in the LA Times, written by Bill Plaschke.

Advertisement
“L.A. weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe's chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude -- around 875 feet -- perhaps waiting for the fog to clear.

We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes. The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA.

At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.

However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.”
Really wish I had not read that. WTF. Why not just land at Burbank and take a SUV to Thousand Oaks? It’s 10am on a Sunday. Traffic isn’t bad. Instead you’re going to let a hungover boomer pilot attempt to traverse the Santa Monica Mountains in a 30-year old tin box attached to a ceiling fan? WTF

Advertisement
Really wish I had not read that. WTF. Why not just land at Burbank and take a SUV to Thousand Oaks? It’s 10am on a Sunday. Traffic isn’t bad. Instead you’re going to let a hungover boomer pilot attempt to traverse the Santa Monica Mountains in a 30-year old tin box attached to a ceiling fan? WTF

yea the report doesn’t look good for the pilot

Whether you were a Kobe fan or not, you had to respect, admire and appreciate him. He was exactly what we want all of our sports figures to be. A relentless worker, that was über competitive and was absolutely maniacal about winning. I don’t do the celebrity worship but today is truly a tragic day. A mother lost her husband and beautiful daughter. Three girls lost their father and sister. That family is devastated. Atleast 2 other families were torn apart. A group of young girls lost a couple of friends and teammates. Very very sad. RIP Kobe, Gianna, Alyssa, Keri, John and the other 4 passengers.

Advertisement
**** Bruh I couldn't stand Kobe when he played although I ALWAYS respected his game and as a INTELLECTUAL, we have lost an integral part of the CULTURE. Bruh I'm shedding LITERAL Tears and I HATED Kobe. But even while I hated him, I loved him cuz I know he was a WINNER. As a REAL DADE COUNTY ***** I can say that Dwayne Wade is my FAVORITE b-ball player EVER but he's behind Kobe & MJ on the 2 guard list and DWade would say the same.....

Last edited:
Screenshot_20200126-220329_StubHub.jpg

yea the report doesn’t look good for the pilot
Ridiculous. They were less than a minute away from an airport where they would have had a major highway that would have given them a straight shot to their destination. Instead the pilot just circles in the air for fifteen minutes and then flies out of his way to Porter Ranch IN A DEATH BOX.

But even then, with a choice of valley or mountains, the pilot went with mountains.

Advertisement
Advertisement
**** Bruh I couldn't stand Kobe when he played although I ALWAYS respected his game and as a INTELLECTUAL, we have lost an integral part of the CULTURE. Bruh I'm shedding LITERAL Tears and I HATED Kobe. But even while I hated him loved cuz I know he was a WINNER. As a REAL DADE COUNTY ***** I can say that. Dwayne Wade is my FAVORITE b-ball player EVER but he's behind Kobe & MJ on the 2 guard list and DWade would say the same.....

Lol Wade is behind way more Shooting Guards than those two 🤦‍♂️

Really sad for his poor daughter and her mom. Everyone’s all torn up over Kobe because he was a great basketball player, but it’s pretty crazy that he took his 13 year old daughter on a helicopter in horrible weather conditions. Who the fck flies a helicopter in conditions like that?

Advertisement
Back