RIP Coach Leach

Advertisement
What he & Hal Mumme did at Valdosta ST & Kentucky revolutionized the game & then what Leach went on to do at Oklahoma & TTech changed College Football forever.

Legitimately the most innovative & evolutionary/revolutionary Coach the modern game has ever seen, his passing concepts have pretty much been ingrained in the fabric of CFB Offense for the last two decades, to the point that even Offenses that don’t run his style still incorporate what he taught in their system, that’s monumental.

How you leave this world your works & your legacy is what speaks for you & the fact that Leach has arguably the greatest & without question the most vast Coaching tree in College Football history speaks volumes in itself & represents the impact he had on the game.

Even more importantly, Leach gave a wide array of Coaches a chance, he gave them an opportunity to progress forward & accomplish their goals & dreams as Coaches, which gave them the same power to give others opportunities just like they had gotten from Leach. He opened the door for a number of High School coaches down in Texas to get the chance to display their coaching acumen, which thus then opened the floodgates for dozens & dozens of other programs to follow suit & do the same. He created bridge where conventional wisdom would normally block, because that was the kind of Coach he was, unorthodox, quirky, even could be categorized as “crazy”, but that was his special weapon that made him who he was; when everyone went Right he went Left, which made everyone go Left & follow behind him, but little did they know he was showing them the best pathway is to simply create your own.

No, he never won a National Championship & I personally never wanted him as a HC, but his students the Mike Leach disciples are without doubt some of the best coaches in the game today & have taken the sacred science & evolved it into what has become what the modern game is; Mike Leach left the game better than how he found it & for that alone he deserves all the credit in the world, but even more so, his legacy will last a lifetime because he changed College Football history & the numerous Coaches that came from under his tutelage are his Championship.

You never want to go in that way, but when it’s your time its your time & all you can hope for is that your loved ones get to make peace & say their goodbyes...

God rest his soul, RIP to Mike Leach
Welcome back man. Hope you stay. Really miss your posts. Gonna steal this explanation (won't claim it's mine) and share. Was even showing my wife Mike Leach videos last night. Really bummed.

Coach Leach and Coach Jimmy Johnson are my two favorite college football coaches. Loved watching coachs first huge win where they upset Texas with Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree. He always found a way to compete with recruits that other coaches wouldn't even have as walk ons. He helped players believe in themselves and having amazing results because of it. This passing ranks right up there with when Steve Irwin passed away suddenly. This is definitely my saddest day in college football.

Advertisement
God bless you and may you Rest In Peace Coach Michael Charles Leach!! An offensive football genius, and a great person. A very sad day indeed!! Condolences to the entire family!

Last edited:
Can someone educate me on some of the Coaches who either got their start or were able to learn under Coach Leach?

Pouring Austin Powers GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
I believe if The Pirate* had some final words of wisdom, he would ask people to learn from his situation.

If you, friends, or family are at-risk of a heart attack/stroke and haven't seen a medical provider in a while, do yourself and those who care about you some good.

Go get seen. Make some lifestyle changes. Passing is often far more than about the deceased, but equally the wake of grief of those left behind.

*obligatory would have killed it at Miami

Last edited:
**** 😔 I loved coach I've started only one thread on CIS an it was to bring Leach to MIA! RIP Mr Pirate 💚😇

Advertisement
Can someone educate me on some of the Coaches who either got their start or were able to learn under Coach Leach?

Mike Leach's coaching tree​

Some of college football best coaches have served under Leach.

Sonny Dykes coached wide receivers and was the co-offensive coordinator under Leach from 2000 through 2006. He is now the head coach at TCU.

Dave Aranda was a graduate assistant coach under Leach from 2000 to 2002 at Texas Tech. Aranda is the current head coach at Baylor.

Lincoln Riley played under Leach at Texas Tech, then joined the staff and worked his way to becoming a wide receivers coach. Riley is the head coach at Southern Cal.

Dana Holgorson coached with Leach at Valdosta State and was Leach's offensive coordinator at Texas Tech from 2000 to 2007. Holgorson now is the head coach at Houston.

Kliff Kingsbury played quarterback for Leach from 2000 to 2002, throwing for 11,937 yards and 91 touchdowns during those three seasons. Kingsbury is the head coach of the NFL's Arizona Cardinals.

Advertisement
Back