RIP AKIEEM JOLLA

Advertisement
Sad to hear this news. I remember when we signed him. I thought he was going to be a beast. He ended up transferring.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Very saddened to hear of Akieem's untimely passing. Condolences to his friends and family. Ryan Moore was also in the same group as Akieem that year. Best WR tandem recruits that year and not much come out of them.

8BA514C6-1024-4703-9322-40F8A138A037.jpeg

WR Akieem Jolla A HURRICANE​

R.I.P BROTHER MUCH LOVE 💪🏿🙌🏿

Akieem Jolla, at age 37 ,was stabbed to death in Algiers, La. on Sunday according to reports. He was declared dead after he was brought to the hospital.
“R. I. P bruh this one hurts bad my brotha from another Akieem Jolla love bruh,” former Miami teammate Darnell Jenkins posted on Facebook.
Jolla played four seasons at Miami (2002-05) after a standout football and track career at St. Augustine High School in New Orleans. He was widely-considered a top-five wide receiver in the 2002 recruiting class according to multiple media outlets and had a standout senior year, catching 34 passes for 915 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Jolla played in all 13 games as a freshman with five receptions for 96 yards and a touchdown for the 2002 Hurricanes who played in the national championship game.

He went on to appear in a total of 34 games for the Hurricanes, catching 24 passes for 266 yards and two touchdowns. He also participated on Miami's track and field team.

One of Jolla’s touchdowns came in memorable fashion in 2004 as he caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from Brock Berlin late in the third quarter against Louisville to start the scoring in a 17-point second half comeback for the No. 3-ranked Hurricanes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A friend of mine, and HS class mate of Akieem, just informed me that Jolla was stabbed to death in New Orleans. Sad to hear anyone go out like that. I wasn’t aware that Jolla didn’t finish out his career at Miami, but I remember thinking he was certainly a promising and talented kid. Now, I hope they catch the ****** who did it to him and may his family make it through these dark days.

Advertisement
So sad. Caused me to remember the story of another former Hurricane player who transferred out, ended up murdered living in obscurity some years later—Tory Mitchell. Many thought Tory could have become a world-class sprinter.

These stories are painful to read.

Advertisement
Back