Richt's Culture Change

dookie blaylock

doodoo brown
i just started teaching a base-level class at um that tends to have a lot of freshman players in it. my predecessor warned me that in his experience (especially with the top dogs when golden ran the show) they tended to be incredibly disrespectful, didn't pay attention, and made the class a nightmare to teach.

i went in without much expectation as i have several of the big name freshmen in there, but so far they have been very willing to learn and have been really engaged in class. i did tweak the curriculum to make it more discussion-based instead of lecture, but the information is the same. it's been really interesting to hear how the staff compliments a lot of these young guys and their willingness to be coached, and to be able to see that first-hand in a completely different setting.

still early in the semester and completely anecdotal, but it's great to see that richt seems to be attracting players with great character to go along with their on-field ability.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coach richt is someone who isnt gonna tolerate that kind of nonsense from his players and unlike golden the players actually respect Richt and will follow his rules.

Great to hear. Character is important. It's the single most important indicator of success in life, in my opinion.

The bit about Golden's players make sense. Golden and his staff were incredibly arrogant and never held themselves accountable. It does not surprise me that his players acted like them.

Even more alarming that their antics kept up despite losing nearly all their games that mattered. That speaks even worse to the culture.

Advertisement
Coach expects players tend to business on the field and off and also in classroom. He has sent a 5 star packing in past for disruptive classroom in addition to other bad behavior.

The best evaluator in college football history, Bunch Davis, used to regularly talk about the importance of character when recruiting players. He said he'd take a slightly less talented guy if his character was off the charts.

Advertisement
Just make sure that they all get straight A's. Just kidding, but not really! Lol.

On more of a serious note, thanks for the insight.

The best evaluator in college football history, Bunch Davis, used to regularly talk about the importance of character when recruiting players. He said he'd take a slightly less talented guy if his character was off the charts.

Davis also said that he put foot in their asses and loved them when they needed it. I would like to see Rick utilize the Foot technique, rather than dismiss so fast. Haskins just needed some Foot (ex. the stadiums steps of Mark Light Stadium, etc.)

Advertisement

Did Chise just compliment Butch Davis da Gawww?!
[MENTION=16572]CaneDynasty[/MENTION]

Great to hear. Character is important. It's the single most important indicator of success in life, in my opinion.

The bit about Golden's players make sense. Golden and his staff were incredibly arrogant and never held themselves accountable. It does not surprise me that his players acted like them.
Your opinion on character may have some truth to it, but factually, many high achievers are extremely low character people. But, like opinions, there are different definitions to which athletes (or students, or people, for that matter) are high/low character. The single most important ingredient towards success...is the ability to delay gratification.

Advertisement
Yeah, well I learned how to build the best cheeseburger in McDonalds history at UM!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

THIS PROGRAM BEGAN TO TURN AROUND THE MINUTE SHALALA LEFT AND GOLDIE & CO KNEW THEY WERE NEXT OUT THE DOOR...END OF STORY.

SO HOLD ONTO YOUR ASSES FAM.....LET IT SINK IN....WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK!!

Give yourself some credit for making the class worth paying attention to....for at least the first two weeks.....

100% agree

Advertisement
Back