Richt's Culture Change

Great to hear. Character is important. It's the single most important indicator of success in life, in my opinion.

The bit about Golden's players make sense. Golden and his staff were incredibly arrogant and never held themselves accountable. It does not surprise me that his players acted like them.
Your opinion on character may have some truth to it, but factually, many high achievers are extremely low character people. But, like opinions, there are different definitions to which athletes (or students, or people, for that matter) are high/low character. The single most important ingredient towards success...is the ability to delay gratification.

But misdeeds usually catches up to low character people, even the high achievers.

Character and discipline are the two big pillars for success, imo (discipline has many components of the ability to delay gratification)

Advertisement
The best evaluator in college football history, Bunch Davis, used to regularly talk about the importance of character when recruiting players. He said he'd take a slightly less talented guy if his character was off the charts.

Davis also said that he put foot in their asses and loved them when they needed it. I would like to see Rick utilize the Foot technique, rather than dismiss so fast. Haskins just needed some Foot (ex. the stadiums steps of Mark Light Stadium, etc.)

I have no idea how many chances Haskings got, but he was a certified knucklehead before he even arrived here. Rick runs his ship a certain way, and allowing guy's to get away with too many infractions isn't his way.

There's an element to running any team successfully that involves holding guy's accountable for their actions. I'm sure Rick didn't run Haskings off for a single ***** up or even two.

In the end, Haskings won't be the difference between us winning or losing games this year. A 2nd or 3rd team TE who has never played a down of football here is far from essential.

Great to hear. Character is important. It's the single most important indicator of success in life, in my opinion.

The bit about Golden's players make sense. Golden and his staff were incredibly arrogant and never held themselves accountable. It does not surprise me that his players acted like them.
Your opinion on character may have some truth to it, but factually, many high achievers are extremely low character people. But, like opinions, there are different definitions to which athletes (or students, or people, for that matter) are high/low character. The single most important ingredient towards success...is the ability to delay gratification.

The best evaluator in college football history, Bunch Davis, used to regularly talk about the importance of character when recruiting players. He said he'd take a slightly less talented guy if his character was off the charts.

Butch was exactly how you described. Good dude. Enjoyed my short stint on the S&C staff when he was there. LAM

Advertisement

Butch was exactly how you described. Good dude. Enjoyed my short stint on the S&C staff when he was there. LAM

Well looky here...nice avatar

Hopefully, our team learns........

UF has 10 players that could potentially be guilty of FELONY credit card fraud. Losing Grace and AQM last year cost us a game for sure last year. Hopefully, Richt's discipline sufuses throughout the team.............

i just started teaching a base-level class at um that tends to have a lot of freshman players in it. my predecessor warned me that in his experience (especially with the top dogs when golden ran the show) they tended to be incredibly disrespectful, didn't pay attention, and made the class a nightmare to teach.

i went in without much expectation as i have several of the big name freshmen in there, but so far they have been very willing to learn and have been really engaged in class. i did tweak the curriculum to make it more discussion-based instead of lecture, but the information is the same. it's been really interesting to hear how the staff compliments a lot of these young guys and their willingness to be coached, and to be able to see that first-hand in a completely different setting.

still early in the semester and completely anecdotal, but it's great to see that richt seems to be attracting players with great character to go along with their on-field ability.

This matters and will positively have a positive impact on the field.

Lots of articles and talk in Georgia about a culture change in the Georgia program and how badly it was needed. You hear this **** after every head coaching change.

Advertisement
Coach Richt is a forgiving man and every player that has been dismissed had more than their fair share of chances. The team is much closer than its ever been under Golden and he got rid of guys that were doing more harm than good for the team.

Coach Richt is a forgiving man and every player that has been dismissed had more than their fair share of chances. The team is much closer than its ever been under Golden and he got rid of guys that were doing more harm than good for the team.

He's a true father figure, you must love that huh?

He's probably nothing like your father.

Did Chise just compliment Butch Davis da Gawww?!
[MENTION=16572]CaneDynasty[/MENTION]

I was like.....

tenor.gif

Advertisement

I think the world of him. He took the time to get to know every guy on the roster, no matter their talent level and treated everyone the same. I know some guys give him a hard time for his discipline, but everyone dismissed had already been suspended or had a handful of disciplinary events. After a certain amount of ***** ups he has the players sign a contract that they won't commit any more infractions or else they face dismissal, so its really up to the players to control their fate.

remember my freshman year sociology class (may have been at UM may not have been). had a whole bunch of frosh football players in it. The teacher claimed to have had all of his grades "stolen out of his car" after the mid-term so we all started fresh. Then, going into the final exam, the teacher claimed the SAME THING happened again. Was truly amazing and I am not embellishing this one bit. I ended up with a B. Not sure about everyone else.

Lots of articles and talk in Georgia about a culture change in the Georgia program and how badly it was needed. You hear this **** after every head coaching change.

The difference is some Georgia fans wanted to emulate Alabaga, and cheat by any and all means possible in order to win.

Win the $EC way.

Advertisement

The difference is some Georgia fans wanted to emulate Alabaga, and cheat by any and all means possible in order to win.

Win the $EC way.

Another difference is that they regressed from the previous regime. Smart took a 10 win UGA team and made them worse.

post-class update: i gave my final yesterday. some of the guys earned better grades than the non-athlete students. the class isn't a killer by any means, but it says a lot for them to put in the time and take it seriously. every one of them gave me a handshake and a thank you at the end of it, and it reinforces (to me anyway) that richt is bringing in the right kind of kids.

post-class update: i gave my final yesterday. some of the guys earned better grades than the non-athlete students. the class isn't a killer by any means, but it says a lot for them to put in the time and take it seriously. every one of them gave me a handshake and a thank you at the end of it, and it reinforces (to me anyway) that richt is bringing in the right kind of kids.

Thanks for the update OP. We definitely are on the right path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats your angle here? I mean why bash our old players? The ones who were here when it was no fun to be here. I agree that Richt is doing a great job with the program but there are too many parameters involved to simply say his presences is the reason your students are more attentive. Maybe your predecessor sucked. Thats an alternative. Maybe he was intimidated by the players, star struck or just a bad teacher and couldnt reach them.

Just as players feed of their coaches energy, students feed off their teachers' and if they have a teacher they can walk all over they surely will. Shout praises to the current players but there's no reason to run down their predecessors.

Advertisement
Back