Richt's Culture Change

As an educator, do you feel some kind of way (immoral, weird..not sure what word fits) labelling KIDS as the right or wrong kind?

Advertisement
Whats your angle here? I mean why bash our old players? The ones who were here when it was no fun to be here. I agree that Richt is doing a great job with the program but there are too many parameters involved to simply say his presences is the reason your students are more attentive. Maybe your predecessor sucked. Thats an alternative. Maybe he was intimidated by the players, star struck or just a bad teacher and couldnt reach them.

Just as players feed of their coaches energy, students feed off their teachers' and if they have a teacher they can walk all over they surely will. Shout praises to the current players but there's no reason to run down their predecessors.

the players' behavior reflects the leadership that they're given. i was a student here for 3 coaches (coker, shannon, and golden), and it was very clear how the ship was run with a different guy at the head. now that i'm back in an admin/teaching capacity, i can see it in the players again, including the ones that i don't teach. they were clowns under coker, tightened up with shannon, and were clowns again under golden. if you know anything about how golden ran things, he gave players whatever they wanted because they got sick of his **** and realized how ****** a coach he was after getting here (there's a reason guys jumped to the nfl as quick as they could, regardless of draft grade). that sense of entitlement carried over into the classroom. when that entitlement didn't carry over from golden to richt, there was additional attrition.

the guys that came before aren't bad kids. they were just under bad leaders. and to be clear, there were plenty of very good ones who were motivated to do well intrinsically (braxton comes to mind). the upperclassmen have the same focus that the new guys do, but they had to transition to richt's mindset. these incoming guys are good from the get-go.

As an educator, do you feel some kind of way (immoral, weird..not sure what word fits) labelling KIDS as the right or wrong kind?

not really. educators don't have to toss reality out the window when assessing things. it's irresponsible to ignore facts. most of these guys can be molded, but there are always those that don't bother (mullins).

Last edited:
The best evaluator in college football history, Bunch Davis, used to regularly talk about the importance of character when recruiting players. He said he'd take a slightly less talented guy if his character was off the charts.

Somehow, you've really improved your standing with me - not that you'd care - but kudo's to you.

Advertisement
Back