Richt was never hired to be elite

Richt has done good things here and some of bad. But the bad looks even worst because we won 10 games last year and now we're expecting for him to top that. I know FSU sucks *** right now but beating them twice in three years feels good. Winning 10 games and stomping ND felt great. Winning a bowl game after 10 years was long overdue.

I was ****ed last night and wanted Richt fired but realistically who is going to take this job? Our facilities are better and hopefully this shiitty season makes him hire an OC. He also needs to fire his transgender ***aloon of a son.

Before Richt was hired and after the first season many of us thought 2019 was our year. Rosier will be gone and I think Jaren gets the nod. Hopefully we see him a few times before the season is done.

Regardless how the rest of the season goes, I don't want to open up against Florida next year under a first year head corch. Hopefully Richt gets his head out of his *** and puts a decent game plan together. The 2018 class will at least have had a year + of experience and we will see more of Pope, Lingard, Hightower and others balling out there. Hopefully no one leave early for the NFL that's not ready...I'm looking at our linebackers right now.

The important question is, who is going to take this job after another year of Richt floundering? The longer we wait, the bigger hole we have to climb out of.

I’d take this guy and his offensive staff and keep Manny over what we have right now in a second: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Wells_(coach)

Advertisement
Canes football program

images

Period.

Richt was hired to run a clean program ... Help raise money for football ... Put a competitive team on the field ... Be a great face to the public ... And win the new coach press conference.

He’s not getting fired, or even feeling a hotseat, because he’s doing what he was hired to do.

Fans want Miami to do whatever possible to be elite. But this school has already decided they aren’t playing the Top 5 program game.

If you have any questions on this, look no further than Lexington, KY. I’m not certain Richt makes more than Stoops. Think about that ... A basketball school pays their head football coach more than Miami pays their flagship sport head coach.

And both coaches are just expected to keep the programs bowl eligible, with the occasional perfect storm occurrence to finish Top 10-15. That’s it. They couldn’t care less if Richt ever makes the playoffs, or even wins the ACCCG.

The sooner folks accept this reality, the better you’ll be.

No, the program ain’t dead. But it’s much closer to being Virginia Tech than it is to being Clemson.
Nope...this ain't it bc we are not even fielding a competitive team. We were more competitive with Folden as Head Corch. At least then we had a ***** hair of a chance to win by outscoring the other team. Now? we are just ****ked.

Period.

Richt was hired to run a clean program ... Help raise money for football ... Put a competitive team on the field ... Be a great face to the public ... And win the new coach press conference.

He’s not getting fired, or even feeling a hotseat, because he’s doing what he was hired to do.

Fans want Miami to do whatever possible to be elite. But this school has already decided they aren’t playing the Top 5 program game.

If you have any questions on this, look no further than Lexington, KY. I’m not certain Richt makes more than Stoops. Think about that ... A basketball school pays their head football coach more than Miami pays their flagship sport head coach.

And both coaches are just expected to keep the programs bowl eligible, with the occasional perfect storm occurrence to finish Top 10-15. That’s it. They couldn’t care less if Richt ever makes the playoffs, or even wins the ACCCG.

No, the program ain’t dead. But it’s much closer to being Virginia Tech than it is to being Clemson.
Well we got what he was hired to do, so now it;s time to go the next level! We got a clean program. We got the IPF! We got some nice campus upgrades! Thank you Richt!! Now don't let the door hit you in the arss!!

I never once looked at Richt and thought there is a elite coach.

I never once looked at Richt and thought there is a corch who loses to BC, UVA, Duke.

Advertisement
Exactly the point of the OP.

It’s not excuse making, it’s a fact.

Elite coaches aren’t fired. Elite coaches make much more than $4 million per year.

Folks can’t get beyond their own expectations to see the truth of the situation.
So we should just accept the fact that he was hired to be a mediocre coach & be okay with that?

When say we can't beyond our own expectations, are you saying we should be happy with being a losing team just because the administration doesn't give a fck about Football?

Period.

I agree he wasn't hired to be elite. But he also wasn't hired to stink up the joint!

He won't get fired this year, even if we go 5-7. But if he does this again next year he'll get the boot for sure.

Advertisement
So we should just accept the fact that he was hired to be a mediocre coach & be okay with that?

When say we can't beyond our own expectations, are you saying we should be happy with being a losing team just because the administration doesn't give a fck about Football?

I’m not saying be happy or accept it.

But I am saying to look at the situation objectively.

And, objectively, the administration has decided they aren’t competing to be a perennial football power. If it happens, they’ll take it. But they’re not giving the football team a blank check to do whatever it takes to be elite.

And if fans are expecting that, they’re better off sticking with their pro sports team or going with another college team. Because the school will not be meeting those expectations anytime soon.

I’m not saying be happy or accept it.

But I am saying to look at the situation objectively.

And, objectively, the administration has decided they aren’t competing to be a perennial football power. If it happens, they’ll take it. But they’re not giving the football team a blank check to do whatever it takes to be elite.

And if fans are expecting that, they’re better off sticking with their pro sports team or going with another college team. Because the school will not be meeting those expectations anytime soon.

I hear you man, but as others have said there's a whole lot of room between elite and what we are right now. I have no doubt that they thought going in that Richt would be a 9-10 win guy with an occasional run at a national title. However, we're looking at possibly not being bowl eligible. I guarandamntee that never crossed anyone's mind. I guess my point is, the powers that be probably went into this thinking of a high floor with a limited ceiling, bust instead we're getting a low floor with a limited ceiling. No way anyone saw that coming.

he was not hired to go 5-4 in year 3 and lose to duke at home. Money talks and trust me money will stop flowing with these results.

Period.

Thank You, we always seem to focus on HC and product on the field. UM's approach changed
under Donna/P.Dee reign. Also think there are certain group of BOT members who really do not want the return of excellence to the program. B.James does their bidding and regrettably we are a mid tier ACC program.
It will be interesting to see what the BOT does when ACC network money starts to flow in and they cannot use money as an excuse.when was the last time the BOT and AD made a sound football decision Butch Davis
yes, its been that long. the issue is Senior mgmt. not mid level positions ...

Advertisement
I'm bumping this to help remind y'all of the current UM football expectations, since the recent signing day and transfer news has so many posters in their feelings.

CMR is doing what he was hired to do.

He won the Coastal last year. Played in a NY'6 bowl game. And even had GameDay come to Miami. This season, he finished 3rd place in the Coastal, went 5-1 at home, and is playing a bowl game against a quality B1G team in a major market for media and alums. And the team did so well, the DC was hired away to be a HC at another program. The current recruiting class is 5th in the conference, with only 15 kids. With a full class, CMR will finish no lower than 3rd, IMO.

Competing for the Coastal and running a clean program are the expectations for Richt. The idea that he's supposed to compete with Bama and Clemson is laughable, and some of y'all need to let that go.

Richt is competing against GT, VT, UVA, Duke, UNC, and Pitt. That's it, my friends. Enjoy the ride to Coastal titles. Hope for an occasional upset when we play a "big dawg". But please put away any delusions of "The U, part 3" and some return to the pinnacle of college football anytime in the near future.

#EndRant

Period.

I mean just on the surface alone, you could pay way less than $4 million a year to one man to accomplish this................................let alone dive deeper into how short sighted and ignorant this is.

Advertisement
Dog hes getting fired after next season book it

Its impossible to have a season like this year and survive

I mean just on the surface alone, you could pay way less than $4 million a year to one man to accomplish this................................let alone dive deeper into how short sighted and ignorant this is.

Assuming your number is accurate, the $4 million they paid CMR last year was a steal ... From the AD's business model perspective! Coastal title, turnover chain pub, Game Day host, New Year's Six bowl game. All of those things are positive impacts to the bottom line.

Get beyond the fan perspective, and look at the financial aspect. Hiring Richt brought instant credibility to the job just one search after we were looking at Al Golden and Randy Edsall as the top 2 candidates.

Almost everyone on this board knocked Dan Mullen becuase of what he did at Miss State, as if that was a decent job before he took it. But still ... Folks thought he was overrated. Mullen makes $6 million per year at Florida.

Mark Stoops make $5 million at Kentucky.

Scott Satterfield makes over $3 million at Louisville in his first P5 job.

Jeff Brohm just got Purdue to pay him $4 million.

We pay CMR average P5 money, and the expectation is for him to be above average. He's been above average in years 1 and 2. Year 3 is down. But he'll get years 4 and 5 to make things right.

Just know, making it right means competing for the Coastal, not making the playoffs.

Dog hes getting fired after next season book it

Its impossible to have a season like this year and survive

We can re-visit next season.

But the only way Richt gets fired next year is if this team misses a bowl game. Short of that, he's definitely getting 2 more seasons.

Period.

I respectfully disagree.

I recall people saying the same thing about Shannon and Golden until they got fired. I just think that the Committee/Blake James thought at the time that they were making a splash hire with Richt. Miami understands that college football is big business and I have every reason to believe that they want the football program to thrive (just look at the recent comments from the BOT's). They just haven't secured that "it" coach who will get Miami back to prominence.

Blake James made a "wet behind the ear" hire, and I believe that he understands that he can't afford to ruin the next hire. Trust me, the next hire will be the "it" coach.

Advertisement
Back