Richt Talking About The Qbs

252cane

All-ACC
This was from a couple weeks ago from porter.

If you think Malik Rosier has a leg up on the Hurricanes’ quarterback race by virtue of his game experience, think again.

Entering spring drills — which begin after UM spring break ends next month — Mark Richt doesn’t think Rosier, who has played in seven games and started one in his three years on campus, or any of Brad Kaaya’s returning backups are any better than the other.

And even if Rosier beats out the other five quarterbacks competing for the starting job this fall, there’s no guarantee he’ll remain the starter. Jack Allison could take it, or Evan Shirreffs, the two talented recruits on the way or even walk-on Vincent Testaverde, in a stunner.

This sort of thing is on Richt’s mind often. His mind would be clearer, though, had someone put on a QB-in-waiting performance in practice.

“I think about it a lot,” he said on WQAM on Thursday. “I told all the guys that were behind Kaaya – we all knew Kaaya was going to start. It was pretty evident. I would have liked to see somebody try to beat him out, but nobody thought much of that.

“But it was like, this second-team position is huge. I mean, somebody could have been in the catbird seat, waiting to be the guy, No. 1 going into spring. That never happened. I never saw one guy separate himself from the group.

“Now does that mean it’s a bad thing? Not necessarily. You might have three, four guys that are pretty darn good and I can’t tell which one’s which. But the bottom line is, I think it could have been more settled if somebody would have truly established themselves as the No. 2 last year.”

With freshman Cade Weldon on campus and ready to play this spring, and highly touted freshman N’Kosi Perry arriving “probably May 22,” Richt said, the coach expects he won’t know a starter until the second scrimmage of fall practices, or around Aug. 19 or so. But the starter Sept. 2 against Bethune-Cookman may not be in there when Miami visits Florida State on Sept. 16.

“Whoever starts, hopefully they take off,” Richt said. “Sometimes they don’t, and another guy might get his chance. It may take a minute. They’re all at least anxious to do right.”

More from Richt on WQAM:

What excites him most about who’s coming back?

“It’s hard not to get excited about the front seven on defense,” he said, “and I don’t want to brag too much about them because that just sets everybody up for expectations that are too high, but – we have a solid group of guys that can play.”

On recruiting:

“I can promise you over half” of Miami’s 24 signees will play, Richt said, and “maybe a few of them will end up starting.”

Advertisement
Yea this was from several weeks ago

Basically coach speak, but I'm sure he's pretty concerned about it. Hoping one of Allison, Weldon, or Perry takes control.

Yea this was from several weeks ago

Basically coach speak, but I'm sure he's pretty concerned about it. Hoping one of Allison, Weldon, or Perry takes control.

Golden's last gift he'll ever curse us with is leaving behind future PE coaches and UPS drivers as our QB depth. To think that this team with all the potential in the world could be spoiled by having to start an 18 or 19yo is so ******* cruel.

Advertisement
Perry will have the job...

A guy on campus for two months coming from a PeeWee level HS offense should definitely give us our best chance to win right now.

It worked out ok for Teddy Crankwater

granted he didn't start until like the 5th game of his FR year or something.

How many games did they win Turdy Crankwater's true freshmans season?

No idea, he was just the the first True Frosh crank that I could picture. I'm sure if I dug I could find plenty of true frosh non EE's that had some success with a talented D working for them.

****, wasn't that kid from Baga a true frosh? The times they are a changin

Advertisement

A guy on campus for two months coming from a PeeWee level HS offense should definitely give us our best chance to win right now.

No idea, he was just the the first True Frosh crank that I could picture. I'm sure if I dug I could find plenty of true frosh non EE's that had some success with a talented D working for them.

The list of true freshmans late enrollees who succeeded at QB is much smaller than the list that failed. And the Alabaga QB was an early enrollee. On top of that, we don't have the top 5 all time defense Alabaga had last year. Hurt was pretty sorry last year. All he did was run. Ask Perry to play that style at 180 pounds, and he'll last half a game.

“I think about it a lot,” he said on WQAM on Thursday. “I told all the guys that were behind Kaaya – we all knew Kaaya was going to start. It was pretty evident. I would have liked to see somebody try to beat him out, but nobody thought much of that.

Likely a direct by-product of the Golden regime. Starter's didn't lose "their" spot. Hard to completely change mind-sets in one season.

I bet there is competition this year!

It's just Richt's way of motivating the group of QB's he has. I'm still rolling with Malik Rosier as the starter. It's not only how big of an arm the starter has to have or great accuracy. Leadership and respect of the team IMO is as important. Malik has that edge plus game experience which will show up, not necessarily in practice but in game situation.

Still don't understand why fans hope for inexperienced untested young QB to start. What Malik has done to win against Duke on the road in his first start ever is impressive and I'm rooting for him to win the QB competition in practice because I believe he is a Cane worrier and a tough competitor. Plus he can move very well in the pocket in case our OL still not solid and can move the sticks with his legs too.

The list of true freshmans late enrollees who succeeded at QB is much smaller than the list that failed. And the Alabaga QB was an early enrollee. On top of that, we don't have the top 5 all time defense Alabaga had last year. Hurt was pretty sorry last year. All he did was run. Ask Perry to play that style at 180 pounds, and he'll last half a game.

I wouldn't ask Perry to play in that archaic offense. I'd spread that field out so wide they'd think they were playing Lisa Ann.

Advertisement
It's just Richt's way of motivating the group of QB's he has. I'm still rolling with Malik Rosier as the starter. It's not only how big of an arm the starter has to have or great accuracy. Leadership and respect of the team IMO is as important. Malik has that edge plus game experience which will show up, not necessarily in practice but in game situation.

Still don't understand why fans hope for inexperienced untested young QB to start. What Malik has done to win against Duke on the road in his first start ever is impressive and I'm rooting for him to win the QB competition in practice because I believe he is a Cane worrier and a tough competitor. Plus he can move very well in the pocket in case our OL still not solid and can move the sticks with his legs too.

He wont see the field if he cant perform in practice.

I don't see any coach speech in that article. Why can't it be true that Richt doesn't see anyone separating himself yet, and will give everyone a legitimate shot to start? I will say that it doesn't bode well for Rosier that he couldn't take that step after 3 years on campus.

I'm with Chise that Perry is the least likely to start of all given he comes in late and isn't physically ready for the pounding a D1 starting QB takes. Just imagine Perry in the pocket taking that blind-sides hit in the first series vs FSU that Kaaya took. They'd carry the kid out on a stretcher.

I used to think Rosier, now I'm thinking the guy that combines the best ability to run Richt's offense with the least likelihood to lose games. Rosier's not that guy physically or mentally (Richt said he tries to be the hero too often). The best options under those requirements are Shirreffs or even better yet Allison, if he can avoid dumb mistakes. Can't wait to follow the battles. Will be epic.

Advertisement

I wouldn't ask Perry to play in that archaic offense. I'd spread that field out so wide they'd think they were playing Lisa Ann.

I agree on spreading it out. It creates more space, and space is where the elite athletes we recruit thrive. I'm not an Air RAID or an 80 plays per game guy because I've never seen anyone win big doing that. But spread that **** out.

I still don't think Perry is the right answer coming in late like he is. But if he runs away with the job so be it.

Not like there is a bunch of world beaters on the roster.

Maybe there isn't a worldbeater on the roster. I'm not sure we need one. Nate Peterman wasn't a worldbeater when he got to Pitt, but we could win the ACC with a QB like him this year.

I just don't see any realistic way Perry takes us where we want to and should go this year given the near certainty he won't be comfortable with anything near a full playbook and won't be a strong leader because of his own uncertainty in the offense.

I don't see any coach speech in that article. Why can't it be true that Richt doesn't see anyone separating himself yet, and will give everyone a legitimate shot to start? I will say that it doesn't bode well for Rosier that he couldn't take that step after 3 years on campus.

I'm with Chise that Perry is the least likely to start of all given he comes in late and isn't physically ready for the pounding a D1 starting QB takes. Just imagine Perry in the pocket taking that blind-sides hit in the first series vs FSU that Kaaya took. They'd carry the kid out on a stretcher.

I used to think Rosier, now I'm thinking the guy that combines the best ability to run Richt's offense with the least likelihood to lose games. Rosier's not that guy physically or mentally (Richt said he tries to be the hero too often). The best options under those requirements are Shirreffs or even better yet Allison, if he can avoid dumb mistakes. Can't wait to follow the battles. Will be epic.

Jackson and bridgewater were both under 200 pounds as freshmen. **** i think bridgewater was under 200 his sophmore year too. Perry can easily be 195 by time the season starts. People keep bringing up perry weight but allison is skinny as **** too.

And sheriffs will never start here.

Not like there is a bunch of world beaters on the roster.

Maybe there isn't a worldbeater on the roster. I'm not sure we need one. Nate Peterman wasn't a worldbeater when he got to Pitt, but we could win the ACC with a QB like him this year.

I just don't see any realistic way Perry takes us where we want to and should go this year given the near certainty he won't be comfortable with anything near a full playbook and won't be a strong leader because of his own uncertainty in the offense.

Truth is none of these qbs on the roster seem to be guys that are strong leaders and they will likely have to use a dumbed down playbook too.

There is no experinced qbs on this team. Rosier started one game. Allison and sheriffs have never played. So what makes you believe that those 3 guys gives the team the best chance to win?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back