Richt says Rosier is the starter ...

Nope. But he gave me excuses to drink some fine bottles of booze last year for celebrations. They have been stacking up for years unused. That is my basic measuring stick.

I don't celebrate after our QB throws game winning TD's if we had to struggle to win.

Advertisement
If I recall correctly, I read that Perry was basically in a backyard offense not having to do much reading of defenses or film study. Would line up in a shot gun and sling it around. He has got the skill and talent but the learning curve was too much to overcome to start as a freshman. Williams, on the other hand, is a different story. He comes with both experience with film study and similar skill base. The qb competition should be really interesting this Spring/ Fall.
You're seeing the same thing I'm seeing. Williams is coming in light years ahead of what Perry came in as. Question is, how much has Perry advanced since he's been here? Williams coming in early is huge for everyone.

Its crazy how one decision can have an impact on a season/career. If Brad Kaaya stayed we have one loss and that Clemson game is more competitive in my opinion. We finish the season strong which helps with recruiting. Kaaya boosts his draft stock. Makes the transition into a qb competition easier. With Rosier being the returning starter it may have an effect on the locker room. Some player might be Rosier guys.

Its crazy how one decision can have an impact on a season/career. If Brad Kaaya stayed we have one loss and that Clemson game is more competitive in my opinion. We finish the season strong which helps with recruiting. Kaaya boosts his draft stock. Makes the transition into a qb competition easier. With Rosier being the returning starter it may have an effect on the locker room. Some player might be Rosier guys.

Hate to be the bearer of reality but if Kaaya stayed we would've been an 8-9 win team at best.... he makes the team worse in a way that Rosiers issues dont compare.

Kaaya would have won the Pitt game but lost multiple earlier games like GT, FSU, etc. where Rosier's mobility was required. And I shudder to think how he would have fared against Clemson's pass rush. He could have helped against Wisconsin too but I don't think we make it to that bowl with him instead of Rosier.

Advertisement
You're seeing the same thing I'm seeing. Williams is coming in light years ahead of what Perry came in as. Question is, how much has Perry advanced since he's been here? Williams coming in early is huge for everyone.

That is the key question on Perry. If I had to make a guess, I would put Perry and Williams pretty even, with slight edge to Perry since he has had a chance to learn and practice the playbook. I agree that Williams coming in the Spring will accelerate his learning curve and could conceivably push him over the top by Fall practice. Rosier is clearly the starter though at this point and people should not read too much into that. Richt has been pretty consistent with his message that the job is open even though he has a current pecking order.

Bottom line: I'll support whoever prevails in the quarterback competition fair and square — whether that's Rosier, Perry, Williams, or Weldon.

Advertisement
I'm fairly confident Rosier will not be the starter to open the season vs LSU, I don't see him starting another game at Miami unless whoever is the starter gets injured.

Richt plays everything close to the vest he's never just gonna come out & name a guy the starter in February before we've even had Spring Camp. In fact, I don't think Richt will name a starter until a week before the season starts & will keep the competition "open" until 2nd or 3rd scrimmage in Fall camp.

We're heading into year 3 of Richt's offense, would he really want to hamstring himself with another year of a Foldenite QB? Starting Rosier would essentially mean he's having trouble developing the young guys, especially considering TF & Red Freshman are starting all over college football over the last 5 years or so & doing exceptionality well. The young QB excuse doesn cut it anymore.

Rosier maxed out, he struggled coming down the because teams had enough film on him to figure out the exact game plan to disrupt his rhythm, play man on the outside crowd the box & force him to beat them with his arm, which he couldn't do.

LSU has a full 13 games of film to watch of Rosier, their Defense would have the advantage if we walked into Dallas with him as the starter. It's time to go with the younger more talented QB's with far more upside, whether it be Perry, Williams or Weldon.

Who downvotes a post like this one?

Hate to be the bearer of reality but if Kaaya stayed we would've been an 8-9 win team at best.... he makes the team worse in a way that Rosiers issues dont compare.

This is what people don't get. People look at Rosier's numbers and say he held the team back and we should've blown everyone out and we need to replace him. Like we've been contending for national championships for the past 13 years or something.

It's funny that the same people who supported bytch made Kaaya now **** on a guy with big balls who knows how to lead the team to victory. It's really, really telling. A new generation of Canes fans.

What do you expect cmr to say.recruiting didn't stop last signing day.move on to the next one .if rosier is the starter on opening day we are bad shape at the qb position

Advertisement
Whoever ends up being the starter, I really hope they are named no later than after the spring game. I think the sooner a starting qb is named, the better as they have more time to get in reps with the first time, build a rapport with the o-line, and get into a rhythm with the skill position players. For as inconsistent (and later) downright awful Rosier was last season, a part of me thinks that him being named the starter like 2 weeks before the season certainly didn't do him any favors.

It's funny that the same people who supported bytch made Kaaya now **** on a guy with big balls who knows how to lead the team to victory. It's really, really telling. A new generation of Canes fans.

what about people who think that kaaya is a ***** and also think that malik is a garbage quarterback? kid won us some games, made some games that should've been blowouts into squeakers, and lost us some games. qb competition needs to be wide open.

I read the article, and I'm fluent in "coach speak".

Just thought the board would enjoy the thread. :thumbsup-kid:
I'm really worried about people on heres comprehension skills. He literally says" he's the starter UNLESS someone takes his job." Anotherwords obviously so hes the starter at the beginning of camp. It doesn't mean anything more than that. Somebody has to start out as the starter. Why wouldn't it be last year's starting qb...

Advertisement
Richt has been consistent in saying "Rosier responds well when he's challenged"....I expect Rosier to start but the hook will be quick, as it should be.

Hopefully Perry or Weldon, maybe both are ready to push Rosier.

what about people who think that kaaya is a ***** and also think that malik is a garbage quarterback? kid won us some games, made some games that should've been blowouts into squeakers, and lost us some games. qb competition needs to be wide open.

It was me and one other guy on here saying Kaaya was a ***** and it wasn't you. I was getting downvoted then just as much as I am now. That's reassuring that I'm right again. But being right this time means that someone will have to earn the starting position, it won't just be handed to them. It means that Richt acknowledges how great of a season we had last year and how important Rosier was to that. If Perry or Weldon wins it, they're gonna have to blow the doors off.

I have no problem with this. No one else should, either. Richt doesn’t want to choke off his QB pipeline by elevating Kosi for the next 3-4 years.

Advertisement
Back